Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autistic man gunned down in Jerusalem

Options
  • 07-06-2020 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Just read in the Times of Israel about a Palestinian man who is mildly autistic who was shot 7 times in Jerusalem. Apparently police thought he was armed and ignored requests to halt. He fled a building where he was tracked down and gunned down. Apparently he didn't understand the requests and was en route to a centre for adults with learning disabilities

This is not an anti Israel post. It's simply looking at an awful tragedy where a young man's life was taken without due cause. I love Israel and have holidayed there on numerous occasions. But this is a truly disturbing case. I'm not optimistic that anyone will be held accountable for their actions. Netanyahu has expressed remorse etc but shouldn't have happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What business has an Irish person reading the times of Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

donvito99 wrote: »

Could say the same for New York Times, Washington Post etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Could say the same for New York Times, Washington Post etc

Exactly. An Irish forum full of Irish people with obsessed with the politics and internal affairs of other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

this is a local forum, for local issues

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Let me get this right

Unarmed man shot seven times?

Was he holding a weapon of any kind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭batman75

antgal23 wrote: »
    Let me get this right

Unarmed man shot seven times?

Was he holding a weapon of any kind?

Nope they thought his mobile phone was a weapon. It's ludicrous and indefensible.

batman75 wrote: »
    Nope they thought his mobile phone was a weapon. It's ludicrous and indefensible.

Guy is walking down the street in Jerusalem, on his phone to his Ma, copper shouts

" Put down your phone and stop"

Guy legs it with phone in hand

Cop or cops shoot him 7 times

You mean like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Exactly. An Irish forum full of Irish people with obsessed with the politics and internal affairs of other countries.

So Irish people should only care about Irish issues? That's a very insular attitude to have, do you turn off the news everytime they mention another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Just read in the Times of Israel about a Palestinian man who is mildly autistic who was shot 7 times in Jerusalem. Apparently police thought he was armed and ignored requests to halt. He fled a building where he was tracked down and gunned down. Apparently he didn't understand the requests and was en route to a centre for adults with learning disabilities

This is not an anti Israel post. It's simply looking at an awful tragedy where a young man's life was taken without due cause. I love Israel and have holidayed there on numerous occasions. But this is a truly disturbing case. I'm not optimistic that anyone will be held accountable for their actions. Netanyahu has expressed remorse etc but shouldn't have happened.

Happened to a Deaf man during the troubles in 1971. Eamon McDavitt. Was walkng home and was shot dead by the British Army. Said he was waving a gun when he was trying to sign to them he was Deaf and couldn't understand their requests . They then smeared his name. The truth came out it was lies about a gun to justify his murder in an enquiry more than 30 years later. Culprits were given immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It seems like an unfortunate case of misunderstandings all round really -

Autistic Palestinian shot by Israeli police buried amid revenge call

But rather like the George Floyd case, it appears some people are indeed keen to turn an unfortunate misunderstanding into a political football to support their own cause -

The secretary general of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), Saab Erekat, said it was "crime that will be met with impunity unless the world stops treating Israel as a state above the law".

He drew parallels with the killing of George Floyd in the US, which has sparked widespread protests.

Palestinians and Israelis protested against the killing of Mr Halaq in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Jaffa on Saturday and Sunday. Some carried posters saying "Justice for Iyad" and "Palestinian lives matter".

It could never be as simple as someone made an awful mistake which will haunt them for the rest of their days, could it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No clue what happened but it's not some random street, it was one of the entrances to the old city which usually has a heavy police presence at the gate from the look of things.

****... I'm anticipating marches along O'Connell Street because of this overreach by police.....

Oh wait... Is he not the colour we are told to care about this month?

Well then the normal people will just be dismayed that another person needlessly lost their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Not according to the charter: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057989814

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I will never understand how the American government give billions of Dollars every year to Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

mikeym wrote: »
    I will never understand how the American government give billions of Dollars every year to Israel.

It’s really easy to understand . A lot of Jews live in the USA and have a big influence .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You're right! I

"Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol"
    "2020 US Presidential Election"
    "Madeline Mccann"

oh.
    Dr. Bre wrote: »
    It’s really easy to understand . A lot of Jews live in the USA and have a big influence .

That's not it.... at all....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Completely tragic, not in the least bit surprising. I think after this weekend I'm pretty much entirely desensitised to every awful thing I could possibly hear.

Short of something happening to a close family member none of the stuff online can chip away at my outlook anymore. The human race is being totally dominated by the deplorable actions of the most hateful minority, who execute people without a thought and have no conscience. The internet serves as little more than a memorial of their evil deeds. If only there were more safety in life offline, but that's where all the actual sh!te is happening.

Night everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

coinop wrote: »
    Ok I'm going to be honest - I don't really care. One random killing cherry picked from the other side of the world so OP could push his personal agenda. Meanwhile a black teenager almost murdered a young Irish lad, one of our own, in Cork last night and we're not allowed to talk about it.

Welcome to Boards.ie everyone.

Is there a reason why you are incapable of understanding this?

The two threads started on the Irish incident were used by people screaming racism with no evidence or context that that was the case.

The Mod initially said that the incident merited discussion, but some posters were incapable in doing so without stating categorically that it was a racist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: quit it, or don't post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Oh wait... Is he not the colour we are told to care about this month?

s

"Why wont the people march for the things I want?"

"Did you start a movement and ask them too?"

" no, I just moaned on boards that no one did it for me "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The Mod initially said that the incident merited discussion, but some posters were incapable in doing so without stating categorically that it was a racist attack.

That part is definitely true, even moreso considering the torrent of abuse I received via PM from both posters. But there's also a bigger issue to consider. The incident in question will likely be before the courts shortly. Boards has a long standing policy of not discussing cases currently going before the courts as discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process.

Admin: All posters, please don't bring up said situation again for conversation. I really shouldn't have to ask this multiple times.

Why is there not world wide outrage at the murder of a special needs autism guy who was shot for holding a phone?

Floyd George's murder rightly was condemned across the world, why don't we protest for the Palestinian?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

He just saw a short few lines on this incident and goggled the rest. Trying to look concerned and internationalist. Next he will say he has a daily subscription to the Botswana Tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭batman75

Why is there not world wide outrage at the murder of a special needs autism guy who was shot for holding a phone?

Floyd George's murder rightly was condemned across the world, why don't we protest for the Palestinian?

I think part of it is the lack of press coverage. Plus the murder of Floyd George was captured on film a film which is sickening, disturbing and powerful.

As I said in my op I love Israel but some actions like this are reprehensible and indefensible.

Someone asked why America supports Israel.

Jews are a very powerful lobby in America.
    America would view Israel as the only true democracy in the Middle East.
    Israel would be the most westernised country in the Middle East.

Sorry but the Palestinians have dropped priority on the list of condemnation. Theyre down below the Hong Kong students, Muslims in China, travellers in Ireland.
    In the near future the "concerns" of Sorcha and Oisin over being graded as D students by their teachers will take precededence with Joe and the Irish Times. Floyd and the rest will be a distant memory and the " concerned youth" will be enquiring about their J1 visas for 2021. Has anyone heard from Greta lately? No one interested in the views of a white priveleged European anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

You must under estimate the influence of the Zionist lobby in the US.
    You could comment further on the scale of it but people would get upset

the sickening thing is the Israeli's had a large BLM protest yet not a peep over this.

paw patrol wrote: »
    You must under estimate the influence of the Zionist lobby in the US.
    You could comment further on the scale of it but people would get upset

the sickening thing is the Israeli's had a large BLM protest yet not a peep over this.

Ya thats really sickening. I couldnt finish my breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Bank transfer I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Edgware wrote: »
    Ya thats really sickening. I couldnt finish my breakfast.

sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

200.gif

Advertisement