Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autistic man gunned down in Jerusalem

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

this is a local forum, for local issues

So the death in Jerusalem isn't a local issue in this country. But neither is the Madeleine McCann case but there's a thread about it in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I don’t think anyone could argue with the fact that in hindsight, from the comfort of our distanced perspective outside of the reality of growing up in that society, that those circumstances influenced the officers decision making process in that moment.

They stood over him as he lay on the ground and after a few minutes they pumped two-three rounds into him to finish him off.

You can choose to paint the truth whatever way you like really after that, as you have done in arguing as though only one side of the conflict are at fault when the reality is that the adults involved on both sides are as bad as each other, and will continue to be as bad as each other while raising the next generation of children as prejudiced as previous generations. That’s exactly why things won’t change any time soon.

Sorry, but one side is involved in the military occupation and colonisation of the other. Thats an aggressive act inflicted on the Palestinian side.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

donvito99 wrote: »
    What business has an Irish person reading the times of Israel?

I do believe the Irish are free to do as they wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is there a reason why you are incapable of understanding this?

The two threads started on the Irish incident were used by people screaming racism with no evidence or context that that was the case.

The Mod initially said that the incident merited discussion, but some posters were incapable in doing so without stating categorically that it was a racist attack.

And yet there are multiple threads about George Floyd murder being racist. I must have missed the cop with the KKK hood shouting about his ethnicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I wouldn’t see it as “good enough for taking someone’s life” though. I’d see it as a tragic accident. I wouldn’t assume any officer starts their day intending to kill innocent people.

Israel has a serious amount of "accidents" than end up with Palestinians dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

batman75 wrote: »
    Nope they thought his mobile phone was a weapon. It's ludicrous and indefensible.

Actually you will find many times mobile phones were weapons in the Middle East.
    They were used as triggers for many bombs.
    And the Israelis themselves were partial to using them to blow the heads off murderers.
    Odhinn wrote: »
    A naive take on it, to be perfectly honest. I could literally show dozens of cases where theres been palestinian life ended, with consequences at all. We're not dealing with a normal society here, and there seems to be no sign of a change coming anytime soon.

Exactly you are not dealing with a normal society or a normal state.
    You are dealing with one that was targeted even before it's official creation.
    You are dealing with one that has been attacked by numerous enemy neighbours on various occasions.
    You are dealing with a society where some of it's founders had survived the death camps of Europe.

Why is it so hard for some people to grasp the fact that the Israeli state was built on the principle that there is no one else they can rely on for their safety and that they will fook anyone and everyone in order to survive.
    That was why they made sure they got nuclear capability, it was the final guarantee that would stop their enemies from trying to wipe them out.

A fair few of the influential people that built Israel, particularly their security services, were of the mindset that they couldn't understand how come the Jews went so meekly to their slaughter in Europe.
    These people couldn't figure out why they didn't fight.
    And they vowed to never ever let that happen again.

Thus they don't think twice about blowing the head off a Palestinian or an Arab because they are seen as their enemy.
    Or even a Palestinian supporter like you would be seen by many of them as their enemy.
    And Palestinians, Arabs and indeed Persians for the most part have proven time and again that they do want to eradicate Israel.
    Hell a lot of them are fans of the holocaust so what does that say to Israelis.
    batman75 wrote: »
    I wonder when you ponder the backdrop to the creation of the state of Israel did no one consider the regional consequences? It seemed madness that someone though it was a good idea to set up a jewish nation surrounded by Arabs.

Look at the borders of most of those states, look at the borders created in Africa or Indian subcontinent.
    They bear no relation to population breakdowns, to racial, religious or tribal breakdowns.
    They were European creations and have caused nothing but trouble for the most part since.
    Ever wonder why we have had effectively civil wars in Iraq and Syria once dictatorships are removed ?
    Or why we had civil war in Lebanon ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually you will find(...............)war in Lebanon ?

You make absolutely no mention of the occupation/colonisation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Odhinn wrote: »
    You make absolutely no mention of the occupation/colonisation at all.

You mean how they occupied enemy territory in one of the wars.
    For instance do you and others realise that what is called the West Bank was first occupied (1948) and then annexed by Jordan (1950) before being captured from Jordan in 6 day war of 1967.
    A war due to fact Egypt closed the Straits of Tiran to Israeli shipping.
    I wonder how many were complaining about Jordan not giving Palestinians their own state ?
    Likewise Gaza existed under Egpytian control until 1967 when Israel captured it.

Why do people assume that the Arab states give a flying fook about Palestinians.
    They don't and have always used them as an excuse and a pawn.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

By 1948, prior to the ethnic cleansing of Palestine by the Zionist movement, Jews had control over less than six percent of the land.

https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/2017/50-years-illegal-settlements/index.html

VP-BDS-MaximumLand-DRAFT-20160715%20%281%29.png

https://bdsmovement.net/colonialism-and-apartheid/summary

jmayo wrote: »
    You mean how they occupied enemy territory in one of the wars.

Aquisition of territory by force is illegal under international law.

They occupied it and - in breach of the geneva conventions - began moving their civillian populations there. Making life as miserable as possible for the Palestinians, they run a two tier 'justice' system, with full access and protection of Israeli civil law for the colonists, Israeli martial law for the Palestinians.

Crimes by occuppying forces and settlers against Palestinians go almost entirely unpunished.
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/files.yesh-din.org/Accountability_Data+Sheet_Fall+2019/Law+Enforcement+Soldiers_DS_English_FINAL.pdf

Do you support this colonial effort?

• Advertisement
Advertisement