Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State pension and occupational pension

• 08-06-2020 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

When I retire I will be entitled to a full contributory state pension and a occupational pension that I paid into for fifteen years. Will I be paid both pensions at once? Is there any means testing?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No means test - you paid for your pensions.

I'd imagine you'd be entitled to both benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

People often retire before the State Pension age.

If you retire at the SP age, and assuming you have enough PRSI paid, then yes, the SPC will be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

As of right now yes you will get both with no means test, just both will be taxable, who knows what the future brings as there will be changes coming but we'll have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

When I retire I will be entitled to a full contributory state pension and a occupational pension that I paid into for fifteen years. Will I be paid both pensions at once? Is there any means testing?

There’s no means test for the contributory pension, and your outside income has no impact on how much you receive. You can even continue to work full time and receive the contributory pension

There is no means test for the contributory state pension but there are rules about qualifying for it.

If you qualify, any other pension is not taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There is no means test for the contributory state pension but there are rules about qualifying for it.

If you qualify, any other pension is not taken into account.

The rules are age and contributions. That’s it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It depends on how many years you have worked for in Ireland or a country with a pensions bilateral. If its less than a lifetime, your contributory pension may be quite small. And non contributory is means tested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It depends on how many years you have worked for in Ireland or a country with a pensions bilateral. If its less than a lifetime, your contributory pension may be quite small. And non contributory is means tested.

OP already said they'd qualify for a full contrib. OAP.

Advertisement