Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the bottle neck here, or how to speed up?

Options
  • 08-06-2020 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I built a pc for the in-laws a few years ago. Just a general purpose one. Recently my brother in law mentioned the pc was slow.

wq8Vy0H.jpg

My own pc is 10 years old with a first generation i3 and it's fine.

Maybe their's just needs a good anti virus scan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

id swap out the hard drive for an ssd, one of the biggest upgrades that would not cost a fortune. keep the hdd and boot off the ssd, fresh install of the os would also go a long way to cleaning it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

djivide_ wrote: »
    id swap out the hard drive for an ssd, one of the biggest upgrades that would not cost a fortune. keep the hdd and boot off the ssd, fresh install of the os would also go a long way to cleaning it up.

Thanks, I was thinking this. My one is running off an SSD so even though it's made up of older components, that must make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

If you are installing a new version of windows (or just trying to speed up the current install) consider runing this script:

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

Ive used it myself it uninstalls a lot of things that most people dont need in windows 10, obviously read the instructions and options first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's the HDD. The i3 is still fine for general use. Throw in a £20 120GB SSD and it'll fly along.

There is really no need to run the above "debloater" tool to be honest. Win10 on an SSD and i3-4170 will be lightning fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Could be PEBCAK too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye an SSD boot drive will make the world of difference. Also uninstalling any crap they might have collected over the years, both apps and Chrome Addons.

Advertisement