Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie but an oldie! Starter bike?

Options
  • 08-06-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm 46, 5'10, 14 stone.
    Always wanted a bike, and looking to get one now before it's too late.

Love the look of the cruiser type bike, especially the Honda Rebel.
    Any recommendations for a starter bike? Also best place to buy one?

Also whats the best route for a starter my age? A2? Get a bike less than 35 kW?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you are over 24 just get an A licence, you can then ride any bike you like.

Can't really help on the bike as everyone has different preferences. But try to get to as many shops as possible and sit on as many as possible to see how they feel, always ask permission before sitting on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

You'll get a taste of a range of bikes when you do your IBT with a registered instructor. Just a thought!

For someone just starting I usually recommend something upright with little enough plastic to damage when you inevitably drop it. I'm not being insulting, we've all done it :) . I had a Suzuki Bandit as my first "big" bike and it was a great machine to learn on and develop skills on. And, yep, I did drop it a couple of times but very little harm done because it was naked...plastic is expensive on bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

If you're looking at cruisers, I can highly recommend the Honda Shadows. Bulletproof! Even with an A2 licence you can get up to a 750cc, which I'd say for most in this country is probably enough. Yamaha Dragstar are pretty nice too and fairly reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks all for the comments. Very helpful.

What about this Kawasaki https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/kawasaki-en500/25009054

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Try to stay open to what type of bike you'll buy and ride, OP.

I'm assuming you haven't ridden one before, so you may be surprised by how they each ride, feel and sound (Oohh, matron).
    I know I was set on a cruiser before I started, thanks to bleedin' Sons of Anarchy, but I chose a naked bike as it felt much nicer to me.

Either way, you're likely in for a treat. Choose a good IBT instructor (rather than cheap), find a bike that feels good, and enjoy the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Try to stay open to what type of bike you'll buy and ride, OP.

I'm assuming you haven't ridden one before, so you may be surprised by how they each ride, feel and sound (Oohh, matron).
    I know I was set on a cruiser before I started, thanks to bleedin' Sons of Anarchy, but I chose a naked bike as it felt much nicer to me.

Either way, you're likely in for a treat. Choose a good IBT instructor (rather than cheap), find a bike that feels good, and enjoy the journey.

I was this way too, had it in my head I wanted naked classic, Triumph Bonnie/Royal Enfield GT type or Harley speedster.

Went and paid a deposit on an adventure bike yesterday. Doesn't look cool but comfortable as hell and can go anywhere I'll want it to.

I still hope to get a classic down the line though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

garlad wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm 46, 5'10, 14 stone.
    Always wanted a bike, and looking to get one now before it's too late.

Love the look of the cruiser type bike, especially the Honda Rebel.
    Any recommendations for a starter bike? Also best place to buy one?

Also whats the best route for a starter my age? A2? Get a bike less than 35 kW?

Thanks in advance

I'm 42. I won't bother with my height and weight 😉 but I did my IBT this time last year. First time on a bike. Never too late.

Like the others said go for the A. No reason not too. Ride anything you feel comfortable on and you can buy whatever you want when you pass.

Have fun!

Thanks again for the replies.
    After a bit of research, I think the best thing for me to do is the following:

1 - Do Theory Test - Even though I have a car drivers license, I have to do this, right?
    2 - Apply for Learner Permit - Any reason not to get an A license?
    3 - Do IBT - Find one which has their own bikes so I can try a few different types.

Then have a look to buy my own. Should have a better idea of type at this stage

Sound right?
    Thanks

Thanks again for the replies.
    After a bit of research, I think the best thing for me to do is the following:

1 - Do Theory Test - Even though I have a car drivers license, I have to do this, right?
    2 - Apply for Learner Permit - Any reason not to get an A license?
    3 - Do IBT - Find one which has their own bikes so I can try a few different types.

Then have a look to buy my own. Should have a better idea of type at this stage

Sound right?
    Thanks

1: Yes
    2: No
    3: Yes

Jesus I'm knackered typing that :pac:

haha, short but to the point.
    Perfect, thanks

• Advertisement

one more quick question
    If I was to apply for an A license does that mean I have to do the test on an A rated bike (https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/)?

Maybe better to get an A2 license and buy a smaller bike and pay less insurance? And further down the line get the A via progressive access?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Just do it on full A bike and save yourself any hassle.

You can get plenty of A category bikes with reasonable insurance costs.

I originally took out my policy on a 125cc Honda and it was slightly cheaper than it would have cost on a Honda CBF600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Maybe better to get an A2 license and buy a smaller bike and pay less insurance? And further down the line get the A via progressive access?

I would go the A route. You only have to do the Test on an A bike, you don't have to ride one.

They can be hired for the Test.

If you go A and pass, is there a limit on the bike power you can ride for a certain time period after?

If you go A and pass, is there a limit on the bike power you can ride for a certain time period after?

I'm pretty sure you can ride anything (yeow!) right after you successfully pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Here's a link to a list of all bikes and their licence category that i found online, might be useful to you

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

Need spoon feeding.

There's always one!
    Thanks everyone else.

knucklehead6 I had seen that list alright, but I thought I read that if you passed on A that you could only ride A2 bikes for a certain period.

A lot of rules have changed regarding motorbike licenses and testing etc. Just trying to get correct, up to date answers.

Advertisement