Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Return to Office Work

Options
  • 08-06-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of any information or advice for employees where employers are ignoring government advice and asking employees to use public transport to get to work (reduced capacity) when the current phase outlines that remote working must continue where possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Does anybody know of any information or advice for employees where employers are ignoring government advice and asking employees to use public transport to get to work (reduced capacity) when the current phase outlines that remote working must continue where possible?

Can your work be done remotely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

D3V!L wrote: »
    Can your work be done remotely ?

I have been working remotely successfully since mid March

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is your employer really asking you to use public transport?

Or rather, they are asking you start working from office - but you have to use public transport to get there? And you don't want to?

But yeah, if you can work from home then the government thinks this is what you should do still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Dont think there is much you can do. Employer could say you must return to work and how you get there be it public transportation or not is up to you. If you don't go back then they could go through the usual disciplinary process ultimately leading to termination. It would be a cheap way to downsize and not have to pay any redundancy etc.

That said I'd imagine there will be very few employers who will do this if working from home is a viable option. The PR backlash would deter them and anyway most probably see there are cost savings in not needing an expensive office in Dublin city center etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I have been working remotely successfully since mid March

All the way up to the last phase the advice is to work from home if you have the capacity to work from home:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

"Work from home: It is more important than ever to work from home where possible."
    "Working from home must continue wherever possible."

Steps that offices must take before they reopen:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/22829a-return-to-work-safely-protocol/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Have you raised with the employer that you do not yet feel comfortable returning to work?

biko wrote: »
    Is your employer really asking you to use public transport?

Or rather, they are asking you start working from office - but you have to use public transport to get there? And you don't want to?

But yeah, if you can work from home then the government thinks this is what you should do still.

I do not have a car. The only mode of transport available to me is bus which has reduced capacity. I have social distancing concerns if trying to queue/wait for a bus that i can get on, and how long it might take me to get to and from the office now.

I am aware of the roadmap, my employer is ignoring this and asking me to ignore my personal concerns to go back to the office. There is no information on where help/advice can be sought for this

thelad95 wrote: »
    Have you raised with the employer that you do not yet feel comfortable returning to work?

three times

All the way up to the last phase the advice is to work from home if you have the capacity to work from home:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

"Work from home: It is more important than ever to work from home where possible."

I have questioned this and I have been told that "it was very positive and we are all to come back to the office"

touts wrote: »
    Dont think there is much you can do. Employer could say you must return to work and how you get there be it public transportation or not is up to you. If you don't go back then they could go through the usual disciplinary process ultimately leading to termination. It would be a cheap way to downsize and not have to pay any redundancy etc.

That said I'd imagine there will be very few employers who will do this if working from home is a viable option. The PR backlash would deter them and anyway most probably see there are cost savings in not needing an expensive office in Dublin city center etc.

I am very uncomfortable being asked to return to work in this manner. I know how I get to work is "up to me". Reduced capacity goes hand in hand with remote working advice however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Would cycling be an option?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would cycling be an option?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Get them to put a risk assessment down on paper and send it to you.

Getting to work is one of the risks they should be including in the assessment and the level of risk involved.

I had to do the same with my pregnant wife who is a teacher who they were asking to go back (In the UK). We got a 22-page risk assessment back and she will be the last of the teachers who will be asked back. (more than likely on Maternity leave by then anyway)

afatbollix wrote: »
    Get them to put a risk assessment down on paper and send it to you.

Getting to work is one of the risks they should be including in the assessment and the level of risk involved.

I had to do the same with my pregnant wife who is a teacher who they were asking to go back (In the UK). We got a 22-page risk assessment back and she will be the last of the teachers who will be asked back. (more than likely on Maternity leave by then anyway)

I have already asked to see the risk assessment, over a week ago. I was told we would be provided with a document but nothing has been circulated yet. I am unsure if a risk assessment includes getting to work as employers only have a duty to ensure that we have "a safe place to work".

We have not had induction training, we were not consulted on measures being applied. I have raised all of these concerns but I am getting nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Thanks, I have scoured the internet for something concrete but am yet to find it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I have already asked to see the risk assessment, over a week ago. I was told we would be provided with a document but nothing has been circulated yet. I am unsure if a risk assessment includes getting to work as employers only have a duty to ensure that we have "a safe place to work".

We have not had induction training, we were not consulted on measures being applied. I have raised all of these concerns but I am getting nothing back.

Are you equally productive at home as you would be at work?

Are you equally productive at home as you would be at work?

My workload has increased a lot since lockdown due to the nature of my job. Not only that but I have no manager currently so I am the only person in my department. So I have had to be more productive as I have had a lot of extra stressors and workload.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are the only person in your dept, do you need to be present in the building when other workers are there?

If you are the only person in your dept, do you need to be present in the building when other workers are there?

I don't know why you are asking this question? We have all had our usual "team" activities over Microsoft Teams successfully since lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't know why you are asking this question? We have all had our usual "team" activities over Microsoft Teams successfully since lockdown.
    We don't know what dept you work in or what tour role is - it may be essential that you're on-site when staff are there e.g. H&S (ironically) or Cleaning & Maintenance

We don't know what dept you work in or what tour role is - it may be essential that you're on-site when staff are there e.g. H&S (ironically) or Cleaning & Maintenance

No, not my end of things. I think I'd know if I would need to be on site for other employees or I wouldn't be very good at my job.

This is presumably an argument that only has validity for the next 5 weeks. I assume that from 20 July companies will be able to ask people to return, no matter what (I know that most large companies will leave it to employee discretion, but many smaller ones likely will not). And how the employee gets to work would be a personal issue for the individual employee. If the employee considers the workplace unsafe, then presumably there could be a health and safety challenge to a request to return to the office. But if the issue is in getting to the office, and the use of public transport, I don't see how that would be the problem of the employer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

No, not my end of things. I think I'd know if I would need to be on site for other employees or I wouldn't be very good at my job.

No point in being condescending in your tone either when you are looking for advice. We don't know you or your job.

Seems like the company you work for are rather flimsy with the details.
    You need a copy of the risk assessment or the induction document they intend to use on returning to work so you'll have to chase harder on these.

This is presumably an argument that only has validity for the next 5 weeks. I assume that from 20 July companies will be able to ask people to return, no matter what (I know that most large companies will leave it to employee discretion, but many smaller ones likely will not). And how the employee gets to work would be a personal issue for the individual employee. If the employee considers the workplace unsafe, then presumably there could be a health and safety challenge to a request to return to the office. But if the issue is in getting to the office, and the use of public transport, I don't see how that would be the problem of the employer

It is not but public health advise states that it should be taken into account that there are only 17 people allowed on each bus. Where i live, the bus is at max 80 at my stop or just after it. I have noted this numerous times, that I may struggle to adequately social distance if I am in a throng of people at the bus every morning and that I may not be able to time my journey to work easily, and will probably be late a lot.

The remote working and reduced public transport capacity go hand in hand, especially in Dublin city.

I have also raised numerous concerns about the office specifically, induction training, consultation on measures, etc. that have not been addressed, plus additional personal concerns that will affect me if working in the office.

petes wrote: »
    No point in being condescending in your tone either when you are looking for advice. We don't know you or your job.

Seems like the company you work for are rather flimsy with the details.
    You need a copy of the risk assessment or the induction document they intend to use on returning to work so you'll have to chase harder on these.

Perhaps not, but there is also no need to assume I don't know anything.

I have asked for the risk assessment twice, and I have posted this in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭TippCashel

Not for me but more in regards to the OP's post - Businesses that are literally going against Government rules - Is there actually an avenue to report them etc?

TippCashel wrote: »
    Not for me but more in regards to the OP's post - Businesses that are literally going against Government rules - Is there actually an avenue to report them etc?

This is the help I was asking for to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Sorry mate but your employer is well within his rights to demand that you return to work provided he can guarantee a safe working environment.

How you get to and from work is your business. I cannot understand how you are “forced” to use public transport. Driving, walking, cycling, e-scooters etc are all options that you could consider.

If you don’t have a driver’s license, that’s your problem and one you could have avoided by getting a license like most people. I assume that since you don’t have a car and have access to public, you live in an urban area so the other transport methods are probably available to you.

Anyone with a job right now is incredibly fortunate and should be doing all they can to support their employer through this difficult time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not much you can do if your employer says "back to work guys" - I too use public transport for work and when my job gives the go ahead I will have to use that too.

Just buy gloves and masks. Get in to the habit of taking gloves off as soon as you get off the bus / train.

Advertisement