Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Return to Office Work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

I can reflect my feelings here in the way I would not speak to my employer. I am not an unreasonable person but when I have repeatedly asked to have concerns addressed that are legitimate to me and it hasn't been responded to, or asked to see the risk assessment/safety statement and it hasn't been provided, what do I do? I have to suck it up and let my employer walk all over me?

Just go into the office and on the second day start coughing.
    Tell them your throat hurts and that you feel dizzy from wearing the face mask and that you need to take it off. :rolleyes:

We are not back yet, but other colleagues who also depend on public transport (there are a lot of us) are all as concerned to be honest.

Your opening post focussed on public transport, and this still appears to be the main issue. There have been lots of side conversations about office logistics and health & safety, but it is this that seems to be the main issue. What do you propose as being a solution to your public transport concern? Just not to go back until the government sorts it out? All the office reasons discussed here are valid and worthy of challenge to the employer, but I don’t get what they are supposed to do about your public transport concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

d15ude wrote: »
    Just go into the office and on the second day start coughing.
    Tell them your throat hurts and that you feel dizzy from wearing the face mask and that you need to take it off. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

paw patrol wrote: »
    What I suspect has happened is the OP has gotten a taste of work from home and doesn't want to give it up. I know how you feel OP ! But that's not for you to choose.

/QUOTE]

nope, you should probably read the thread.

but i did - i even read the initial version in the other forum.
    You've a terrible attitude Op to anybody who doesn't sing from your hymnsheet.

Like the "i'm not your mate" comment which would be lame from a teenager.:rolleyes:

Your opening post focussed on public transport, and this still appears to be the main issue. There have been lots of side conversations about office logistics and health & safety, but it is this that seems to be the main issue. What do you propose as being a solution to your public transport concern? Just not to go back until the government sorts it out? All the office reasons discussed here are valid and worthy of challenge to the employer, but I don’t get what they are supposed to do about your public transport concerns

It is part of the issue. I have repeatedly noted other concerns about the office which have not been addressed or answered or confirmed or provided.

Let me put it into perspective for you; each bus holds approx 80 people including standing passengers. This has now reduced to 17. That is less than 1/4 capacity. When I leave for work each morning, to get to my desk for 9am, I have to get on a bus at about 7:30am to ensure I can get on a bus in time to get to the city centre on time. Most of the time, I have to wait for a bus to approach that has room and sometimes this is after 8am. These buses are full of approx 80 people.

The roadmap has asked that people do not clog up buses, so that the essential workers can safely get to work. This was reiterated for Phase 2 on Friday. Noting explicitly remote workers.

My employer is asking us to come to work on public transport.

• Advertisement

but i did - i even read the initial version in the other forum.
    You've a terrible attitude Op to anybody who doesn't sing from your hymnsheet.

Like the "i'm not your mate" comment which would be lame from a teenager.:rolleyes:

other forum? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Anyone know the employers liability if one of the emplyees becomes sick due to returning to work without adequate safety provision or due to deviation from government guidelines i.e. working remotely if possible?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Anyone know the employers liability if one of the emplyees becomes sick due to returning to work without adequate safety provision or due to deviation from government guidelines i.e. working remotely if possible?

I spoke to HIQA yesterday and nothing like this has crossed the WRC yet so there is no precedent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I spoke to HIQA yesterday and nothing like this has crossed the WRC yet so there is no precedent.

WRC is struggling to manage it's backlog as it is. They were trialing online cases during lockdown I believe but it was messy. They will be very busy over the next few months for both non-Covid and Covid employee grievances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No, they are simply asking you to return to work.

You already know this of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Does anybody know of any information or advice for employees where employers are ignoring government advice and asking employees to use public transport to get to work (reduced capacity) when the current phase outlines that remote working must continue where possible?

Talk to a solicitor and quietly and discreetly walk your employer into a large compo payout (for you).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

other forum? :confused:

yes , this thread started in work problem unless im mistaken?

I started one thread only - if it has been moved I haven't noticed/been notified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Your job are asking your return to work, they are not asking you to use public transport.

I agree that public transport is an issue, even at reduced capacity making it "safer" to be on board, the busses can only stop if they have space. Its going to be like peak travel on steroids.

For this reason I can see the government changing the advise for travel. Right now there will be businesses finding they have staff who are willing to return to work but possibly cant due to childcare and public transport. It will force their hand to do something. The desire to get the economy going is whats going o start driving decisions.

Talk to a solicitor and quietly and discreetly walk your employer into a large compo payout (for you).

This made me laugh at loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

FYP because yet again you make this false statement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

OP can you give us an idea of what sector you work in, size of company, your role etc? Without giving too much away?

I think given the times we are in, employers need to understand that the working norm has changed. It isn't enough to demand that your emplyees go back to what they had before, especially if alternate/equal options are available remotely. Especially in the short-term.

I do understand that employers need to get back to work and start making money in order to keep the doors open but there is rarely a polar solution and most of the time an adequate compromise is available. A blanket request to return to the office, when the OPs job has been satisfied remotely for weeks, against genuine fears held by OP and fellow collegues is frankly tone deafness by the employer. I'm assuming the employer values the contribution of its employees and is not merely running a sweatshop where staff turnover has no impact

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seve OB wrote: »
    FYP because yet again you make this false statement.

Several companies have policies that if you have to take public transport to work you must continue to WFH.

Any employer who, in the current crisis, hasn't factored means of getting to travel into their risk assessment of return to work is incompetent imo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Several companies have policies that if you have to take public transport to work you must continue to WFH.

Any employer who, in the current crisis, hasn't factored means of getting to travel into their risk assessment of return to work is incompetent imo.

Your right that several companies have. But several have not.

Mine hasnt. We thankfully have a tiny number using public transport but they are expected back to work like everyone else.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ussrsoviet wrote: »
    have to admit the op attitude stinks, which probably leads to why the employer isnt being very facilitating and compromising, the way you have reacted to help and advice with such a horrible tone says alot about you, suck it up pc Karen and be grateful you have a job, if the only mode of transport you have is the bus then its your own fault not your employers , you say your not comfortable standing in the queue for the bus? so if you were starving and needed food for your family you wouldnt stand in a queue for food for your family?
    you really sound like you just got to used to sitting at home and the 'new normal'
    Life has to get back to normal eventually Karen, sorry to inform you, go back to work, or look for a new job
    ussrsoviet wrote: »
    your edit is actually quite laughable niall hahah are you going starting your own union ? you little warrior haha go back to work and get out of bed ;)
    Threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Citizens Information is a one stop shop for all sorts of information /advice.

Are people not generally aware of this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

The other half will be working one day a week in the office from this week with the other four days WFH. Seems a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

howiya wrote: »
    The other half will be working one day a week in the office from this week with the other four days WFH. Seems a bit pointless.

I’ve been doing that voluntarily. Better IT in the office for a start.

If I have my choice going forward I’ll be splitting time at home and in the office

Obviously at the moment kids being home for many is a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Dodge wrote: »
    I’ve been doing that voluntarily. Better IT in the office for a start.

If I have my choice going forward I’ll be splitting time at home and in the office

Obviously at the moment kids being home for many is a factor

I just see it as an unnecessary journey which we're being asked not to make.

Having said that I totally understand the appeal of it and I'd love to be back in the office with colleagues rather than sitting at the kitchen table. In my own place we're not going back anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

howiya wrote: »
    I just see it as an unnecessary journey which we're being asked not to make.
    Having said that I totally understand the appeal of it and I'd love to be back in the office with colleagues rather than sitting at the kitchen table. In my own place we're not going back anytime soon.

Even if you are back in the office, it won't be like before with the social distancing measures.
    I was more productive in office than WFH - mostly around workshops and personal meetings. But with social distancing rules not going to be able to do them in person. No team meetings. No sitting at a colleague's desk as they walk you through an issue.
    So no real reason to be in office sitting at my desk talking on a headset versus doing same at home.

I'd say same applies in OP's workplace.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I've been in the office all throughout this pandemic (redeployed within HSE) including weekends etc and been relying on buses.

None of the buses I can get start close to where I live so I'm worried that now I won't be able to get in now for 9. At one stage I was often alone on the bus :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

How do you continually screw up the quotes paw patrol? You're a disgrace.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113678800&postcount=193

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Since the legislation and guidance come from the department of Health and the minister, Simon Harris, maybe contacting them, giving the facts and asking for a official statement?

Eg, I have been working from home, I am capable of continuing working from home. My employer demanded all employees return to work during phase 2 etc...

https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation/department-of-health/
    https://www.finegael.ie/our-people/ministers/wicklow/simon-harris/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

OP its an awful situation and many of us are in the same boat or will have the same problem when the lockdown ends. People want to get back to work but health is a huge concern. I don't know the answer but hopefully if everyone does their bit, most companies will stay open and we won't find ourselves back to the way it was 10 years ago with massive job losses.
    robbiezero wrote: »
    One thing that this pandemic may have shown employers is that some jobs can be entirely fulfilled by a remote working employee....

Not talking about the OP's situation here but agree with robbiezero on this. There's always a possibility that organisations will look at how WFH went in the past few months and make a business decision that if the job can be done remotely, an employee with the right skills and experience can be located somewhere with cheaper salaries & benefits. It's not a great outlook but if it affects profits some will consider it and if they want to replace someone with a remote worker, they'll find a way. There could be a lot of redundancies on the way. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hi OP,

Just ask the HSA to audit your company? That will give you the quickest answer.

The facts are very simple. Offices are to remain shut, and those working from home, should continue to do so. See Leo's tweet... https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1261317050674356225

Document is here https://assets.gov.ie/74370/8c9207be986e4d519cb07feaaded3e5d.pdf
    Add that to your query with the HSA.

The reality is a lot different though. Lots of companies are now re-opening, offices etc Having the HSA intervene is your best bet. Was that not the really obvious answer when you first thought of all this? Get the HSA in?
    I’ll trust legal advice from McCann Fitzgerald over government PR spokespeople.

I'd also trust the advice from a load of self serving Muppets too. :rolleyes:

Advertisement