Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Return to Office Work

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Hi OP,

Just ask the HSA to audit your company? That will give you the quickest answer.

The facts are very simple. Offices are to remain shut, and those working from home, should continue to do so. See Leo's tweet... https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1261317050674356225

Document is here https://assets.gov.ie/74370/8c9207be986e4d519cb07feaaded3e5d.pdf
    Add that to your query with the HSA.

The reality is a lot different though. Lots of companies are now re-opening, offices etc Having the HSA intervene is your best bet. Was that not the really obvious answer when you first thought of all this? Get the HSA in?

I'd also trust the advice from a load of self serving Muppets too. :rolleyes:

I spoke to some people alright - I can report it but the likelihood of there being an inspection is really low due to lack of resources. Also, there is no precedent for this sort of thing so who will be sided with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

There is a return to work protocol that businesses have to abide by. If your office is following that you wont have reason to report them to anyone.

My husband is already back to his office as are plenty of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭kildarejohn

I spoke to some people alright - I can report it but the likelihood of there being an inspection is really low due to lack of resources. Also, there is no precedent for this sort of thing so who will be sided with?

Agreed, that for you personally there is little personal benefit in just you reporting (anonymously) to HSA - they are very unlikely to inspect. But if HSA get 10 reports from staff in one company, then there is a good chance HSA will phone up that company and have a serious word with them.
    If everyone takes the attitude "there is no point in me reporting" then the authorities will never know there is anything wrong.
    Contact details for HSA-
    If you wish to make a complaint or raise a concern, you should contact our Workplace Contact Unit by telephone, email or post:

Telephone: 1890 289 389 (9:00am to 12:30pm Monday – Friday)
    Email: wcu@hsa.ie
    Post: Workplace Contact Unit, Health and Safety Authority, Metropolitan Building, James Joyce Street, Dublin 1

We will ask you for your name and contact details and as much information as possible to ensure we fully understand the circumstances of your complaint/concern. This information will be kept completely confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

jrosen wrote: »
    There is a return to work protocol that businesses have to abide by. If your office is following that you wont have reason to report them to anyone.

But it was clearly stated that "offices" remain closed and those working from home should continue to do so. The return to work protocol only applied to business that were allowed to open, not "offices"

The only "offices" meant to be open are those that are part of a retail unit that is open E.G. An office in a Car garage, not a pure office block in the city centre.

However at this stage it is irrelevant, everyone is back to work bar hairdressers & pubs, and social distancing is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

But it was clearly stated that "offices" remain closed and those working from home should continue to do so. The return to work protocol only applied to business that were allowed to open, not "offices"

The only "offices" meant to be open are those that are part of a retail unit that is open E.G. An office in a Car garage, not a pure office block in the city centre.

However at this stage it is irrelevant, everyone is back to work bar hairdressers & pubs, and social distancing is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Offices are advised to remain closed and wfh if possible, they are not prohibited from reopening. In relation to the op’s gripe that her employer is wrong to make her take public transport to and from work, there is no responsibility on the employer in this matter.

See section “Getting to and from work”

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/return_to_work/returning_to_work_and_covid19.html

• Advertisement

Offices are not prohibited from opening. People who can work from home should do so where possible.
    The "where possible" is whats catching people.
    I know people who have had access to their office space for weeks now albeit on a restricted basis but they have had access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

as pubs are now going to be allowed open so long as people don’t stay inside for
    longer than 90 minutes I can see how it can quickly become moot point.

OP why not use this opportunity to buy a second hand car and get classes - or get an electric bicycle . No doubt you will find a reason against everything except what you want - to work from your house - but as you said in your original post it looks like your boss will be withdrawing the IT facilities for homeworking soon and you will be caught in the crossfire - either costs, confidentiality ir refusal to cooperate and you being seen as a high risk. There will soon be a million people on the dole - with post covid restructuring you in your stand alone job with no reports can be legally restructured out of the job in about an hours work. No doubt you will maintain your beligerant take no prisoners stance from your dole queue or solicitors office or citizens advice office or 2 year flac waiting list for your first meeting - places in each instance you will no doubt be forced to take taxis or public transport to get to. No doubt your health is the most important priority in your life - perhaps you can stand side from the job and mangers you show such contempt for and let someone struggling and willing to go in do it - you may get lucky and find a career and employer that suits you and that is willing to let you work without colleagues or interaction from your bedroom where you are happiest. Or you may find a new path and start up your own company and niche role and fund your life from that without ever having to meet people, go outside or deal with anyone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I’ll trust legal advice from McCann Fitzgerald over government PR spokespeople.

Mickey Mouse advice ; no wonder you like it.

jrosen wrote: »

By the time the HSA actually get to your employer standards will have slipped and they will be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

By the time the HSA actually get to your employer standards will have slipped and they will be fined.

What are you basing this on?

• Advertisement

Your basing this on what?

They are following the return to work protocols to a T. As are a number of firms that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

huge mistake bringing people back into air conditioned offices at this point without them being certified in hand and mask cleanliness, I won't be setting foot in an office without a mask or gloves for a while yet.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    huge mistake bringing people back into air conditioned offices at this point without them being certified in hand and mask cleanliness, I won't be setting foot in an office without a mask or gloves for a while yet.

Mask won't stop you getting it. The virus is tiny and if you are able to breathe the mask isn't stopping the virus. Gloves are only good for single action use such as fueling your car and disposing of immediately as a substitute for washing hands.

You wearing a mask if you possibly have the virus would help others from getting the virus as the virus is less aerosolised close to your mouth and nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Mickey Mouse advice ; no wonder you like it.

As the document itself stated:
    "This briefing is for general guidance only and should not be regarded as a substitute for professional advice. Such advice should always be taken before acting on any of the matters discussed."

What many people are missing is that the Roadmap is a plan, it's only after government decisions are taken, usually in the week before the intended commencement of a phase that regulations are created which will give effect to the new phase and change the law.
    A good example is bookmakers who read the roadmap and quite reasonably assumed they could open in phase 2 (small retailers) or at worst, original phase 3 (all non-shopping centre retail), only to find when the regulations were published last week that they were omitted and breaching the law by being open.
    The OP therefore should find the latest regulations and see how they affect her employer's business. My understanding is that the return to work safely protocol applies to businesses which are now allowed to re-open, not to all businesses which feel they can re-open.

It was a joke based on the poster's username Sono Topolino means 'I am Mickey Mouse' it could mean 'I am a little mouse' But Topolino 'the little mouse' is the Italian for Mickey Mouse.

That said thank you for your very clear and straightfoward explanation.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    As the document itself stated:
    "This briefing is for general guidance only and should not be regarded as a substitute for professional advice. Such advice should always be taken before acting on any of the matters discussed."

What many people are missing is that the Roadmap is a plan, it's only after government decisions are taken, usually in the week before the intended commencement of a phase that regulations are created which will give effect to the new phase and change the law.
    A good example is bookmakers who read the roadmap and quite reasonably assumed they could open in phase 2 (small retailers) or at worst, original phase 3 (all non-shopping centre retail), only to find when the regulations were published last week that they were omitted and breaching the law by being open.
    The OP therefore should find the latest regulations and see how they affect her employer's business. My understanding is that the return to work safely protocol applies to businesses which are now allowed to re-open, not to all businesses which feel they can re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

It was a joke based on the poster's username Sono Topolino means 'I am Mickey Mouse' it could mean 'I am a little mouse' But Topolino 'the little mouse' is the Italian for Mickey Mouse.

That said thank you for your very clear and straightfoward explanation.

I wasn't having a go at all, i was pointing out to il piccolino that mccann's were simply providing general guidance based on that origjnal version of the roadmap. It's just that boards quote function doesn't include your quotation of his quotation.

Advertisement