Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cucumber mistake

Options
  • 08-06-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I am growing Cucumber 'Telegraph Improved', and I've removed the male flowers because they are supposed to make the fruit bitter.
    Now I've realised that there is nothing to pollinate the female flowers.

Will it produce more male flowers? So disappointed right now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

MargeS wrote: »
    I am growing Cucumber 'Telegraph Improved', and I've removed the male flowers because they are supposed to make the fruit bitter.
    Now I've realised that there is nothing to pollinate the female flowers.

Will it produce more male flowers? So disappointed right now.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/force-cucumbers-flower-32583.html

I'm no expert as this is my first year growing them, but my understanding is that if you wait for the next season you should get more flowers alright and hopefully some edible fruit, but just pollinate the female ones before you pick them off next time around for a better yield. Also harvest as soon as they're mature to spur on prompt growth next season.

Thanks for the heads up, forgot to fertilise mine the other day so I'm off out to do it now. Hope yours turn out nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

just a quick update on this...

that "cucumber" appears to be swelling and I never pollinated it. And there were no male flowers either. :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe it'll grow but it will have no seeds. Or someone else nearby had cucumbers and a stray insect pollinated it.

Advertisement