Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance - Difficulties Getting Quotes

• 08-06-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Any website I try obtain a quote from refuses to offer a home insurance quote on the basis that my house is liable to flooding.

If that were true, I can understand. It seems to be something they have in their databases, but is not representative of where I live at all! It is a housing estate that does not flood, it was built in the mid 1990s. If this estate is underwater, then so is a considerable portion of the surrounding city.

Has anybody encountered this? Currently insured with bank of ireland, they wouldn't quote me either when I tried, but when I drew down my mortgage some years back with them, then they saw the difficulty and agreed to insure me.

I have called some places but it's a case of "computer says no".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For motor and home, anything even slightly off the norm gets a red flag and the computer says 'no'. Talk to a broker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Revit Man wrote: »
    It is a housing estate that does not flood, it was built in the mid 1990s.

Insurance companies deal with the future, not the past. If the area is classified as subject to potential flooding that is the risk they have to take into account...

Have you asked other householders on the estate, who they have dealt with this, perhaps they can give you the name of the company they use. Alternatively speak to a broker, they are more likely to be able to offer a solution than a computer generated response.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Revit Man

Understood Jim, but if you saw where the house was, you'd scratch your head on how it could possibly flood. Noah's ark would be sailing past the window after 40 days of rain before the house would flood.

Found a broker who has quoted me at less than half the cost of my current insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you had a look on the OPW website that shows recorded floods to see what's there for your address?

http://www.floodmaps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Revit Man

Hi AD, thanks. I hadn't seen that before. I checked it, there are no recorded floods in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

what's the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Revit Man wrote: »
    Any website I try obtain a quote from refuses to offer a home insurance quote on the basis that my house is liable to flooding.

If that were true, I can understand. It seems to be something they have in their databases, but is not representative of where I live at all! It is a housing estate that does not flood, it was built in the mid 1990s. If this estate is underwater, then so is a considerable portion of the surrounding city.

Has anybody encountered this? Currently insured with bank of ireland, they wouldn't quote me either when I tried, but when I drew down my mortgage some years back with them, then they saw the difficulty and agreed to insure me.

I have called some places but it's a case of "computer says no".

Hi RM

I'm having similar problems, I had no problem before eircode was introduced, just wondering did you get a quote?

I live 200 mtrs from the Liffey

Thanks
    Joe

Advertisement