Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish links to slavery and Mitchel's GAA clubs

Options
  • 08-06-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

There are several clubs around the country named after this worthy Fenian, who then turned pro-slavery advocate in the USA during the US Civil War.

Have we examined whether there's a good cause to pull down this 'statue' and rename the clubs?

Might the good people of Newry consider the status of the physical statue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Roadtoad wrote: »
    There are several clubs around the country named after this worthy Fenian, who then turned pro-slavery advocate in the USA during the US Civil War.

Have we examined whether there's a good cause to pull down this 'statue' and rename the clubs?

They should do. Whether they have or not I have no idea.

At the least, if they have written history of Mitchel it should include his apparent (cause I have no idea) pro-slavery advocacy.

Same for any similar figures. Their written history should account for any good and bad of significance (don't need to know if every good or bad deed, such as every single donation) they are known to have done, to give a full account of who they are.

Every country should reckon with their history, and acknowledge it. That doesn't mean every statue comes down, but they should provide a full account of the person if not taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Roadtoad wrote: »

burn em to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Pandora’s box is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Smashy Smashy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

How many GAA heads were in the 'RA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Irish links to slavery is mainly we were taken as slaves.
    Have countries paid reparations to Ireland yet for taking Irish slaves?
    Looking at you England, Algeria, Iceland...

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

John Mitchell was in favour of slavery and fought on the confederate side in the US Civil War. One of his former colleagues in the Young Ireland movement Thomas Francis Meagher fought on the other side. Once united for Irish Independence, divided by attitudes to slavery.

Would be up to the clubs to decided, but if you start this, where does it end? Surely you would have to pull down every single statue to US leaders as their country is based on the conquest of Indian tribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

I don't think the statues need to come down, surely its fair to explain the nasty bits with the good? Change the wording until Mitchell's statue to something like the "John Mitchell - Pro Slavery Author who advocated for the US people to be proud of the national institution of slavery and how moral it was. Also wrote the odd bit about Irish Independence"

I'm not sure what to do about the clubs or places named after him. I have often wondered do any of those clubs know about the darker side of Mitchell.

Advertisement