Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder's profit on incomplete project

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Quacks75

Tefral wrote: »
    Op can you post a copy of the BOQ or even send it to me privately. if there is identifiable information Im a QS so can have a look.

Normally its very simple. Take off all the items on the BOQ, including a portion of the Prelims on the work he hasnt done and tell him he has determined his contract.

Im hoping you have a fully quantified BOQ so this is an easy matter.

He is not entitled to profit on works that he has determined he has not completed. Different story if you were the one taking it off him.

I don't suppose you're based in Dublin?? Getting a QS to survey what's been done/left to do is next on my to-do list... The contractor and carpenter who took a look today have pointed out lots of remedial work to the plasterboarding that needs to be completed before a plasterer can skim.

The BOQ is sketchy at best and according to the builder last week "doesn't reflect the job accurately as it was done in a rush". Every excuse in the book!!

I am confused at how the architect has estimated the costs for the outstanding work, so it would be great to have an impartial view - I'll PM it when I'm back at home. Thank you for taking an interest - this forum is hugely helpful and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It sounds like it could if been a blessing in disguise this builder not finishing the job in the long run .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Quacks75 wrote: »
    I don't suppose you're based in Dublin?? Getting a QS to survey what's been done/left to do is next on my to-do list... The contractor and carpenter who took a look today have pointed out lots of remedial work to the plasterboarding that needs to be completed before a plasterer can skim.

The BOQ is sketchy at best and according to the builder last week "doesn't reflect the job accurately as it was done in a rush". Every excuse in the book!!

I am confused at how the architect has estimated the costs for the outstanding work, so it would be great to have an impartial view - I'll PM it when I'm back at home. Thank you for taking an interest - this forum is hugely helpful and informative.

Unfortunately not based in Dublin. Theres a great guy called Eoin Darby based in Dublin that I would recommend if you wanted to engage him. Darby and Associates. I think he may be a member of the forum too but im not 100% on that.

I would highly recommend a survey by a QS. I've done this before and the builders usually end up owing the client money.

Tefral wrote: »
    Unfortunately not based in Dublin. Theres a great guy called Eoin Darby based in Dublin that I would recommend if you wanted to engage him. Darby and Associates. I think he may be a member of the forum too but im not 100% on that.

I would highly recommend a survey by a QS. I've done this before and the builders usually end up owing the client money.

Good advice. I've emailed Eoin Darby and hope to hear back from him today. Thanks for the pointer. Let's hope it's resolved swiftly!

Quick question: I've secured 3 separate plasterers/carpenters to visit the house over the next few days to quote for skimming and hanging doors/frames, and contacted a QS to conduct an independent survey - do I let the architect know that I'm organising all of this to challenge his proposed figures to finish the job? Or do I just crack on with gathering the quotes, and send all the information to the architect when I have it, which will be Thursday of next week. Architect hasn't returned my calls from yesterday or Monday.

• Advertisement

Also, the architect has sent through an invoice for his time in sorting out the final costs - if I don't agree with his figures, and I'm taking the time to get my own quotes and independent QS valuation, can I challenge his invoice? I did agree to pay his costs to sort this out, but I assumed he'd sort it fairly and favourably...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Quick question: I've secured 3 separate plasterers/carpenters to visit the house over the next few days to quote for skimming and hanging doors/frames, and contacted a QS to conduct an independent survey - do I let the architect know that I'm organising all of this to challenge his proposed figures to finish the job? Or do I just crack on with gathering the quotes, and send all the information to the architect when I have it, which will be Thursday of next week. Architect hasn't returned my calls from yesterday or Monday.

I wouldn’t bother with him until I had everything at my fingertips. You’ll be able to ask him which orifice he pulled the 1000 figure out of and if he’d like a hand getting it back in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Also, the architect has sent through an invoice for his time in sorting out the final costs - if I don't agree with his figures, and I'm taking the time to get my own quotes and independent QS valuation, can I challenge his invoice? I did agree to pay his costs to sort this out, but I assumed he'd sort it fairly and favourably...

Suggest to him that whatever percentage 1000 is of the figure you pay to have the work finished should also be the percentage of his bill you should pay.

salmocab wrote: »
    Suggest to him that whatever percentage 1000 is of the figure you pay to have the work finished should also be the percentage of his bill you should pay.

Genius. I'll video his response and post it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Genius. I'll video his response and post it :D

I'd pay good money to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

How did this work out in the end op?

Advertisement