Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replace Vodafone Huawei 658C Router

• 08-06-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to replace my Vodafone Huawei 658C router with something that will give better wireless performance on my home network.
    I'm unsure if I can replace the Huawei 658C with a new Modem ,will Vodafone give me the exact settings required ?

I've read older threads where people put the Huawei in bridge mode and use a better router with it .
    Does anyone have any recommendations of good routers ,I've used ones that supported DD-WRT and Gargoyle in the past but these devices are a good few years old now and probably low spec .

I mostly use homeplugs to connect PC's and the TV's to the network as its very reliable.
    One of the home plugs also acts as a WiFi Extender.
    Wifi can be a bit flaky though so would like to improve it.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

658C is ancient, VF really should have phased it out. Fine for ADSL, useless for VDSL.

Do you know which service you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ED E wrote: »
    658C is ancient, VF really should have phased it out. Fine for ADSL, useless for VDSL.

Do you know which service you have?

I have fibre broadband to the cabinet which is half a km away .
    Then copper wire to the house,so its VDSL2 I guess.
    I get ~30MB .

Siro has been cabled up to outside my entrance for the last 8 months but they don't see to have connected anyone along the road yet ,it seems to have stalled.
    It says my address isnt eligible for Siro yet.

Have a read of this thread for options.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057632871&page=4

You could bridge but considering the 58C is such a low bar anything should be a massive improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ED E wrote: »
    Have a read of this thread for options.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057632871&page=4

You could bridge but considering the 58C is such a low bar anything should be a massive improvement.

Thanks .

The AC1600 looks good ,I like Tp-Link stuff ,most of my stuff is by them so might be a good option.
    The AC1200 could be an option too .

Is it easy to configure these as a modem though ,I've read that Vodafone wont give out the configuration details that are required .

Marlow wrote: »
    vodafone@vodafone.ie ? Are you sure about that ? Is that what they've given you as username and password ?

VDSL (and SIRO FTTH) on Vodafone don't use generic username/password. That was only the case with earlier generation.

On SIRO FTTH with Vodafone, I had to use the serialno of the router I was supplied with as username and the password was the same password as my ONT.

So, you still need to check your vodafone router and see, what username they've used there. And then see, if you can get hold of the password.

They have no problems handing that stuff out for customers on their FTTH platform. You just tell them, that you had to reset their router and now you need the details.

/M

^ As you dont have FTTH you should use the regular generic username and your CSI will do the rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement