Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else on pure broadband?

• 08-06-2020 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

The connection is stable but compared to eir the pings are much higher.

On Eir I'd ping around 8ms to boards.ie, now it's 24ms with pure, seems very high for vdsl. Same for every server I try but pings are much higher all around.

I'm just curious because it seems like im on an adaptive sync rate ( 51/13~ ) instead of with eir where I had 40/10 and maybe that's why the pings are higher.

Do others on pure have these higher pings too, would appreciate any info. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

peddlelies wrote: »
    The connection is stable but compared to eir the pings are much higher.

On Eir I'd ping around 8ms to boards.ie, now it's 24ms with pure, seems very high for vdsl. Same for every server I try but pings are much higher all around.

I'm just curious because it seems like im on an adaptive sync rate ( 51/13~ ) instead of with eir where I had 40/10 and maybe that's why the pings are higher.

Do others on pure have these higher pings too, would appreciate any info. Thanks!

When I was moved from Eir to Vodafone, I found a similar situation whereby latency increased when using Ping to access all sites. When I was with Pure, I had the opposite- pings were single digit.

I had found it very hard to understand, given that all 3 providers use the same copper for VDSL. It was finally explained to me as being a function of the 'middle to back-end' elements of infrastructure being used, rather than the 'front- end'. While each use different routers, all use the same connection from the home through the local cabinet to the exchange. At this point, each of the operators hand off the connection to their own network, which will have different (but consistent and repeatable) results for latency depending on how they have configured their network and the equipment used. Eir will hand off to the Eir network, Vodafone to Vodafone and Pure to the BT network.

Therefore, the local link may have little to do with what you are experiencing. Instead of just pinging sites, try and use Traceroute. This will show you all the hops from your device/router to the target site and let you know what hops are introducing the greatest latency. Do this by logging into the router and run the TR on that device to remove any internal latency from your testing device to the router that might be caused by your local home network. Alternatively, and possibly best, test on a laptop that is physically plugged into the back of the router.

Try this and see what you come up with.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Thanks for the reply

I've ran the trace route and its the first public hop causing the latency spike. It looks like might be piggy backing off eir's network somehow

86-45-112-3-dynamic.agg9.chf.chf-qkr.eircom.net [86.45.112.3]

9IMkcR8.jpg

I'll give pure a ring there might be some error checking going on with the weird sync that's increasing the latency, 24ms is very high compared to the 8ms I was getting with eir. I would have stuck with them but they wouldn't budge from 70e a month with phone compared to 35 with pure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That TR suggests that you're staying fully within the Eir domain, rather than popping onto the BT Networks net. So, I suspect that Pure is leveraging both service providers in their service provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

I'm looking to move from Eir to Pure. Eir have been absolutely horrific to deal with, constantly over charging and customer service is non existent. I am aware Pure use Eir, and to be fair I never had any issues with Eir's broadband, just their customer service. So would you recommend moving to Pure? €30/month seems pretty good value, and I'm in Dublin City Centre so I imagine the speeds will be fine over Fibre?

ciaranmul wrote: »
    I'm looking to move from Eir to Pure. Eir have been absolutely horrific to deal with, constantly over charging and customer service is non existent. I am aware Pure use Eir, and to be fair I never had any issues with Eir's broadband, just their customer service. So would you recommend moving to Pure? €30/month seems pretty good value, and I'm in Dublin City Centre so I imagine the speeds will be fine over Fibre?

I was in the same boat with Eir. There 30/35e month doesn't include mobile calls but local calls are free, I kept my old number. I didn't have any down time and the support staff are Irish and based in Dublin. Connection wise its solid and I haven't had any major issues besides the slightly higher ping times.

Its early days for me but I'd say give them a go, you can't beat the price and there's a 2 week cooling off period where you can cancel without restrictions once the connection goes live. It's a big difference for me, I'm paying half of what I would be with Eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

peddlelies wrote: »
    I was in the same boat with Eir. There 30/35e month doesn't include mobile calls but local calls are free, I kept my old number. I didn't have any down time and the support staff are Irish and based in Dublin. Connection wise its solid and I haven't had any major issues besides the slightly higher ping times.

Its early days for me but I'd say give them a go, you can't beat the price and there's a 2 week cooling off period where you can cancel without restrictions once the connection goes live. It's a big difference for me, I'm paying half of what I would be with Eir.

Thanks for getting back to me. At the risk of sounding stupid, what are ping times? I wouldn't be using it for calls, just streaming and usual work stuff?

ciaranmul wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me. At the risk of sounding stupid, what are ping times? I wouldn't be using it for calls, just streaming and usual work stuff?

It only real matters if you're heavy into first person shooter games, and even then the difference in negligible, we're literally talking milliseconds. Basically it's the response time from your router to some outside server and back again. All that said, you being based in Dublin I'd imagine there won't be that issue, I'm down the south of country.

I'd avoid Vodafone like the plague from past experiences.

Advertisement