Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Me Tender = Do you tenderise

• 08-06-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

I don't tenderise my meat.
    Am I missing out, do you tenderise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mechanically using a spiked hammer or whatever - no, but some cuts come like that from my butcher

Chemically - that's what a marinade is. So most people do that lots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »

Depends on the marinade really. I'd imagine most marinades that people are using are simply flavourings, rather than tenderising. For example, shop bought BBQ/Teriyaki/Sweet and sour marinades that are basically coloured sugar syrups

Mellor wrote: »
    Depends on the marinade really. I'd imagine most marinades that people are using are simply flavourings, rather than tenderising. For example, shop bought BBQ/Teriyaki/Sweet and sour marinades that are basically coloured sugar syrups

Good point - any I make would have some acid element but there's plenty of just sauces sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

L1011 wrote: »
    Mechanically using a spiked hammer or whatever - no, but some cuts come like that from my butcher

Yes it is the hammer I'm asking about.

In relation to the marinade I use them occasionally.

Its a very American thing so you may not find many people who do it here. If you don't also want to flatten the meat, there are the blade devices that do the same thing in terms of severing connective tissues etc; Jaccard is the main brand in the US at least.

Don't use either to something you want to cook less than well done; as it will push surface bacteria inside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement