Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

..the Beara Peninsula

• 08-06-2020 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Spending a week on Beara in Allihies at the end of July.

Cannot come soon enough with this lockdown!

We're a couple from Clare and my father is from Clonakilty so I know most of West Cork well, never spent much time on Beara though!

Any highly recommended things to do, places to visit, sights to see? Local tips?, all the better.

Dursey Island via the cable car is the only thing on my list so far.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Inkyhead wrote: »
    Spending a week on Beara in Allihies at the end of July.

Cannot come soon enough with this lockdown!

We're a couple from Clare and my father is from Clonakilty so I know most of West Cork well, never spent much time on Beara though!

Any highly recommended things to do, places to visit, sights to see? Local tips?, all the better.

Dursey Island via the cable car is the only thing on my list so far.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Any particular interests ? The offshore islands are currently closed until August 10th, so that eliminates the cable car , I would think .
    Ditto for Bere Island . The drive over the Healy Pass is stunning and well worth considering , I’ve seen people cycle but it’s hairy enough between road width , slope and bends , if you aren’t an experienced cyclist .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Take a walk around dereen gardens. Even a visit to parknasilla is nice with their walks.

There is also the uragh stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Any particular interests ? The offshore islands are currently closed until August 10th, so that eliminates the cable car , I would think .
    Ditto for Bere Island . The drive over the Healy Pass is stunning and well worth considering , I’ve seen people cycle but it’s hairy enough between road width , slope and bends , if you aren’t an experienced cyclist .

Thanks

Interests.. the outdoors, the sea, class scenery, music, food (will pints be allowed by then?), stone circles

That's a pity about the islands, it never occurred to me they might not have opened again yet. Was even considering Cape Clear/Fastnet one day if the tours had started again. Ah what harm.

Have driven the Healy Pass before alright it is beautiful. Weather dependent obviously I want to hike at least one day if we're there for a week, so might climb Hungry Hill. You can approach it from the Healy Pass side.

Take a walk around dereen gardens. Even a visit to parknasilla is nice with their walks.

There is also the uragh stone.

Sound for that. Uragh is definitely going on the list. And the gardens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

Pallas strand near Eyeries. Beautiful part of the world.

• Advertisement

Pallas strand near Eyeries. Beautiful part of the world.

Excellent, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Schalker

Gleninchaquinpark is worth a visit and a walk

http://gleninchaquinpark.com/

Near the Uragh Stone btw and not far from Kenmare and Lauragh (Derreen Gardens)

Staying in Allihies walk the Copper Mine Trail with nice views

http://www.acmm.ie/theminingtrail/

Greetings from Germany

Hope to be back in southern Ireland someday

Schalker wrote: »
    Gleninchaquinpark is worth a visit and a walk

http://gleninchaquinpark.com/

Near the Uragh Stone btw and not far from Kenmare and Lauragh (Derreen Gardens)

Staying in Allihies walk the Copper Mine Trail with nice views

http://www.acmm.ie/theminingtrail/

Greetings from Germany

Hope to be back in southern Ireland someday

Gleninchaquin looks amazing, thanks Schalker :cool:

Seeing as the phases have basically been brought forward, I think the islands may well be open before August now. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just back from 2 weeks near Castletownbere.

Couldn't have loved it more*, can't wait to go back next year.

What a beautiful place.

*apart from stupid Covid closing the pubs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement