Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One House Martin Nest Destroyed, another Damaged.

• 08-06-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭

I've 3 House Martin nests on the house (2 floors), just yesterday I noticed one maybe 50% destroyed, I haven't seen any birds trying to repair it :(

Just today I noticed another nest about 25% destroyed, it was fine yesterday.

What could be the culprit? The nest material on the ground did seem very dry and sandy when broken with the hand. Is it simply poor choice in mud, or is there some other bird that has a habit of destroying their nests?

I've no idea if any eggs were laid yet or not.

Is there anything I can do for them? There are cats in the area so I'm a bit worried about leaving mud out for them.

I understand that it's nature, but if it's a magpie or such destroying these nests can anything be done about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I've 3 House Martin nests on the house (2 floors), just yesterday I noticed one maybe 50% destroyed, I haven't seen any birds trying to repair it :(

What could be the culprit? The nest material on the ground did seem very dry and sandy when broken with the hand. Is it simply poor choice in mud, or is there some other bird that has a habit of destroying their nests?

Is there anything I can do for them? There are cats in the area so I'm a bit worried about leaving mud out for them.

I understand that it's nature, but if it's a magpie or such destroying these nests can anything be done about it?

If they're anything like mine they're very poor builders. I have 3 also and they fall regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

PCeeeee wrote: »
    If they're anything like mine they're very poor builders. I have 3 also and they fall regularly.

Is it the whole nest that falls though? Or just bits of it? With ours it's large chunks of the outermost wall that are fallen. I really do hope they're simply just inexperienced.

Is it the whole nest that falls though? Or just bits of it? With ours it's large chunks of the outermost wall that are fallen. I really do hope they're simply just inexperienced.

Sometimes the whole thing. Sometimes bits. One came down this year with eggs and all.

Two years ago I was cleaning half rotted baby birds out of the gutters after one fell. They really are terrible builders. Or perhaps its hard to do right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Well it turns out mine aren't bad builders :( Over the last week I saw less and less of them, this morning I woke up to a magpie breaking the last intact nest to bits :( I don't think it was occupied though.

I presume they are after the eggs/chicks and not the adults themselves or would they grab one from a nest?

Very sad either way, I get that it's nature but Magpies numbers are probably more secure than House Martins.

Well it turns out mine aren't bad builders :( Over the last week I saw less and less of them, this morning I woke up to a magpie breaking the last intact nest to bits :( I don't think it was occupied though.

I presume they are after the eggs/chicks and not the adults themselves or would they grab one from a nest?

Very sad either way, I get that it's nature but Magpies numbers are probably more secure than House Martins.

I honestly never gave any thought to them being sabotaged. Plenty of magpies around me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I was watching one of Hugh Fearnley Whittenstall's (not checking the spelling, sorry) programmes the other day. Focussed on a farm on Dartmoor with great populations of martins and swallows- the owner had simply nailed 2" battens below the fascia along the wall for the martins- this won't help this year's mob, but next year it just gives them a secure hold to build the nest from. I suspect modern polymer-based wallpaints are smoother and don't allow a proper bond. I will be putting some up this winter to encourage them- I have had a few making half-hearted attempts before giving up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

You can buy ready-made nests for house martins: https://www.birdfood.ie/slide-out-double-house-martin-nest.

Advertisement