Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work stand

Options
  • 08-06-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Is there such a thing as a good quality, reasonably priced work stand. Something that will last a few years and give me some enjoyment from doing the basic work myself ?. Recommends please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Lifeline do a decent cheaper one off crc, but watch out with crc is they change the price by the season, merlin does a different branded exact same design one I think for possibly cheaper.

Personally I was looking at this radon stand from bike discount that looks nice for the price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the lidl stand, whenever they have it in stock again, cannot be beaten for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I use the Lidl one all the time. Really great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

^^This.

It’s the best bang for buck I’ve ever bought. Solid, sturdy and reliable. They only negative is that you have to wait for Lidl to stock it - worth the wait, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I've had a Lidl one for a few years but didn't like the locking mechanism as I was always worried that it could spring loose. Maybe they changed them since, but I got one from Aldi and it's way better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I've had a Lidl one for a few years but didn't like the locking mechanism as I was always worried that it could spring loose. Maybe they changed them since, but I got one from Aldi and it's way better

The lidl one changed the handle to a more park tool like lever but no chance of either of them springing loose. I have both and one has lived outside as a bike wash stand for 5 years and is still working fine.

How is the one in Aldi way better? I've never looked looked at their ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The lidl one changed the handle to a more park tool like lever but no chance of either of them springing loose. I have both and one has lived outside as a bike wash stand for 5 years and is still working fine.

How is the one in Aldi way better? I've never looked looked at their ones.

The Aldi one has a better cam system and locks with a reassuringly firm and decisive manner, like a good QR. Think I only paid €24 for the Aldi one

Trekker09 wrote: »
    The Aldi one has a better cam system and locks with a reassuringly firm and decisive manner, like a good QR. Think I only paid €24 for the Aldi one

I must check them out next time they're for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Don't get the halfords one, the clamp is crap and mine failed. I had an older one bolted to the wall so ended up using bits from that to make a better clamp. But I'd say the Halfords one was used less than 30 times before failing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i actually don't know if i've the aldi or lidl one now. black with blue handles?

• Advertisement

i actually don't know if i've the aldi or lidl one now. black with blue handles?

Lidl have blue handles and Aldi have red handles afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

+1 for the lidl one.

My only gripe is that it's very hard to get it to lock the bike in in an unbalanced position , but otherwise I've been using one for a decade now with no problem. Absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

got one in lidl a few years ago still good for cheap money and used a lot of times

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

For the Lidl or Aldi stands replacing the hand nuts with quick release clamps is a huge quality of life improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

ULMarc wrote: »
    For the Lidl or Aldi stands replacing the hand nuts with quick release clamps is a huge quality of life improvement.

I have the Halfords version (seems to be identical) how did you go about making the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

+ 1 for the Lidl one. have it a few years now with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

cletus wrote: »
    I have the Halfords version (seems to be identical) how did you go about making the change?

I had some quick releases from seat tubes. There's not much else to it. Might have needed a washer here or there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

ULMarc wrote: »
    I had some quick releases from seat tubes. There's not much else to it. Might have needed a washer here or there.

Sorry, I thought you meant the quick release grips you find on quick release clamps. You see them on the more expensive park tool stands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I bought a cheap stand from Decathlon at least 15 years ago and it’s still going strong. I’ve not looked at any of the Aldi/Lidl offerings as mine does the job. I did lose the tool tray part during a move somehow, but I can live without that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I never even got around to fitting the tool tray on my Lidl one.

Decathlon is due to open here this Saturday, isn't it?
    Can't see myself facing the queues there for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

It seems that Aldi or Lidl are the way to go, hopefully the bring them in soon.In the meantime I'll keep an eye on FB Market place or Donedeal, one might pop up. Thanks lads.

Advertisement