Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to reintroduce files after clean MacOS install

Options
  • 08-06-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I'm having seriously annoying issues with my new MBP. Processes crashing extremely frequently, so that I now have to close about 7 or 8 crash reports before I shut down at night.

I've spoke with Apple support countless times but had no resolution.

The fact this is a new device and it also happened with my previous device, I am linking this to files on my device that were brought across via Migration Assistant when I was transferring data to this new laptop.

I've created a new, test account to see if the same crashing appears - it doesn't. So I am going to do a clean MacOS install.

However, I am wondering - what is the best method of reintroducing files that I need to have on my device after the formatting is complete? I will be putting minimal files back onto the laptop, but there are some I simply have to bring across.

Is Migration Assistant the best? Or backup to Dropbox / Drive etc and download after formatting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

By files do you mean applications too ? My experience tells me this is never a good idea. Especially if you've upgraded to a newer OS.
    Migration assistant tries to make your new Mac the same as your old one and copies applications across where possible. I've rarely had this go smoothly.

The best method I find is a clean fresh install followed by applying all updates and then install all the apps you need ensuring they are compatible with your new OS. Then copy across any docs or files you need. That's the process I always follow in these circumstances.

If you want to try a different approach you could try running Onyx and let it clean up the OS.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

ZENER wrote: »
    By files do you mean applications too ? My experience tells me this is never a good idea. Especially if you've upgraded to a newer OS.
    Migration assistant tries to make your new Mac the same as your old one and copies applications across where possible. I've rarely had this go smoothly.

The best method I find is a clean fresh install followed by applying all updates and then install all the apps you need ensuring they are compatible with your new OS. Then copy across any docs or files you need. That's the process I always follow in these circumstances.

If you want to try a different approach you could try running Onyx and let it clean up the OS.

Ken

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Nah, no applications. I don't mind (even though it's a pain) having to reinstall all my apps and preferences etc. It's my working files / documents I need back on my laptop i.e. Files for various Adobe CC projects

I've tried Onyx, Clean My Mac etc, but to no avail. So I'm convinced it's now an issue I brought across when I used Migration Assistant to bring across my User folder to my new laptop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume you have a TM backup. Since it's just documents, you can manually pick out the files from the TM drive and copy them over to your new user folder. However you may encounter issues with permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

I find keeping the OS hard drive and working files separate avoids any issues like this. OS drive for OS (only) External or 2nd drive depending on machine for docs/music/ movies/ work files etc. In the event of a machine crashing / failure your 'stuff' is available, none of this migration BS. Implementing a 3 tier backup solution will guarantee this is solid also ie: (External backup(s), Cloud Backup(s)). Backup software solutions make this painless. With regard to OS backups use Time Machine and have a seperate drive for that also. Separating backups may seem like it is inconvenient but when disaster strikes you will be glad of the separation say if a work deadline is looming. Keeping backup drives labeled and in a secure cupboard / box helps implement any reinstallations or having folder access later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I've created a new, test account to see if the same crashing appears - it doesn't. So I am going to do a clean MacOS install.

Hopefully I ain't too late, but if the crash isn't happening on a new account. Just use the account, then go to /Users/%oldusername% (you will be asked to authenticate, plus ensure that the new account has full admin access) and you can easily copy your files from the Desktop, Downloads etc folders to the same folders in your new user profile.

Saves you the hassle of reinstall the OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Hopefully I ain't too late, but if the crash isn't happening on a new account. Just use the account, then go to /Users/%oldusername% (you will be asked to authenticate, plus ensure that the new account has full admin access) and you can easily copy your files from the Desktop, Downloads etc folders to the same folders in your new user profile.

Saves you the hassle of reinstall the OS

Hey thanks for the reply.

I ended up trying this in the hope I would not have to do a reinstall.

I set up a new admin user and copied files over, however I'm having permission issues on some of the files I carried over. Specifically I'm opening old emails and getting notifications that certain elements are unable to open because I don't have permission.

I also wasn't able to bring my files over via shared without first changing the permissions on the folders I was transferring. Shouldn't this new admin account have access to everything?

Leaves me a bit afraid to delete the old account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the reply.

I ended up trying this in the hope I would not have to do a reinstall.

I set up a new admin user and copied files over, however I'm having permission issues on some of the files I carried over. Specifically I'm opening old emails and getting notifications that certain elements are unable to open because I don't have permission.

I also wasn't able to bring my files over via shared without first changing the permissions on the folders I was transferring. Shouldn't this new admin account have access to everything?

Leaves me a bit afraid to delete the old account.

Firstly don't delete your account for a good while, until you are 100% sure (wait few months if you have to)

Secondly, Yes it is best to grant your new account full permission to the old profile /Users/%oldusername% prior to copying them over.

Right click on /Users/%oldusername% -> Get info -> Under sharing and permission grant it full read and write access.

Also what type of email are you using ? if it is gmail or other popular POP/IMAP mail service, you might as well set it up as new and let it download the mails/attachments from the email provider, rather than copying it over from your old profile.

Advertisement