Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac Mini. Worth it?

• 08-06-2020 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Thinking of investing in a Mac Mini with a third party curved 32/34 inch monitor. Anyone got a Mac mini? If so what is your experience with it? I’ve been a Windows user up until now but I’m sick of it to be honest.

Looking 900-1200 for the Mac Mini 2020/2018. Steep enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Thinking of investing in a Mac Mini with a third party curved 32/34 inch monitor. Anyone got a Mac mini? If so what is your experience with it? I’ve been a Windows user up until now but I’m sick of it to be honest.

Looking 900-1200 for the Mac Mini 2020/2018. Steep enough.

What are you planning to do with it?
    I get the Mac mini if you actually use it for graphic designer etc or something specific.
    Getting a Mac just because you’re bored with windows is a poor excuse really to get one, however resale value is excellent if you change your mind.

Otherwise I’d lean towards the MacBooks. I adore the MacBooks, they just run rings around windows laptops as regards battery life, linking to my iPhone etc and general ease of us.
    Sure you can get a more powerful windows laptop for cheaper or similiar price but show me a windows laptop 6 years old that still runs as good as the day it was bought. Hell show me one a year old that does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Blazer wrote: »
    What are you planning to do with it?
    I get the Mac mini if you actually use it for graphic designer etc or something specific.
    Getting a Mac just because you’re bored with windows is a poor excuse really to get one, however resale value is excellent if you change your mind.

Otherwise I’d lean towards the MacBooks. I adore the MacBooks, they just run rings around windows laptops as regards battery life, linking to my iPhone etc and general ease of us.
    Sure you can get a more powerful windows laptop for cheaper or similiar price but show me a windows laptop 6 years old that still runs as good as the day it was bought. Hell show me one a year old that does.

To be honest I'm probably going to use it for a general purpose home computer. I don't have one at the moment and could do with one. I have an iPad Pro 2020 12.9 and love it, it's nearly acting as a laptop with keyboard and trackpad support so I'm leaning towards the mac mini as the prices for macbooks look mental on first viewing. You could get a mac mini with proper monitor for 1500/1600 quid.

That's why im leaning towards Mac rather than Windows. Windows just isn't a good user experience and maybe an iPad, mac mini, and iPhone might be combo I'm after. On the look out for a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

I had the original mac mini and it lasted for years before it eventually packed in due to cooling issues but it definitely lasted 9/10 years and was performing just as well as day one. It was a great little machine and the specs of the new macmini are much better than my one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've had Mac Mins for years until the price went through the roof. Instead of a mini, I went for an iMac this time, which I think is better value for money. For €1600 you would get a decent spec in the refurb store Here.

By the way, this is the iPhone/iPad/iPod forum. The Mac forum is here: Mac forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

whiterebel wrote: »
    I've had Mac Mins for years until the price went through the roof. Instead of a mini, I went for an iMac this time, which I think is better value for money. For €1600 you would get a decent spec in the refurb store Here.

By the way, this is the iPhone/iPad/iPod forum. The Mac forum is here: Mac forum

Ah sorry. Didn't realise there was a Mac forum. Wonder if a mod can't move this.

Thanks, will check out the refurb store. Would have no problem buying a second hand one provided it's in good nick. I've heard the 2012 ones still run great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Refurbished isn't second hand. It may have been returned as fauly or unwanted, checked, repaired and put back up for resale. Never had a problem with any refurb purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Have you thought of running Linux on your Windows machine?
    it's free and easy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

One of my work horses is a mini running High Sierra older model but solid, no issues at all, I upgraded the RAM and threw an ssd into it and it's great. Considering investing in the 2018 / 20 model as the hardware looks nice for a price though. There are upgrade restriction on the newer mini's so take a look at that before you purchase. The only thing I don't like about the mini is the fan noise.

Advertisement