Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest multiple items - advice needed!!

• 08-06-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Sorry for a new thread as there are already quite a few on Nest items, but I can't find the answers to most of the below handy, or in some cases I can find multiple contradictory answers on it (some are old threads so things may have changed on it)

So to start off, i'm moving into a new house in a few weeks and I'm looking at getting some nest items and just wondering if anyone has any practical experience with them:

1: Nest hello doorbell
    2: Nest Cam outdoor (probably x 2)
    3: Nest Hub Max
    4: Nest Aware subscription

So 1 of the main questions are do people find these worth it?

I like the idea of all of the above but I do have a few reservations on it all....
    Mainly on the subscription that seems good and quite reasonable, but can anyone confirm if 1 subscription covers all devices? From what I can see online it does, but I have read a lot on different boards talking about multiple subscriptions.

Also, does continuous recording eat up internet allowances, or more importantly does it use up a lot of bandwidth and therefore slow down other devices like laptop and phone etc?

Also have a few reservations about the Camera since it's only Wifi, as it's a new build it's going to be an A rated house which I assume means high grade insulation etc. would this impact on the Wifi signal getting to the cameras?

Any practical advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

N

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

nheav wrote: »
    So 1 of the main questions are do people find these worth it?

I have:
    - Google Home mini x 3
    - Google Home x 1
    - Google Hub
    - Nest Hello Doorbell
    - Nest smoke + CO detector x 2
    - Nest Aware subscription, €50
    - Nest Wifi x 2

Yes, I think they are worth it. IMHO it is best to get a Google Hub (or better still a Google Hub Max) if you are getting a Nest Hello so that it can automatically display who is at the door. I would also strongly recommend the Nest smoke + CO detectors.
    can anyone confirm if 1 subscription covers all devices?

Correct, one subscription.
    Also, does continuous recording eat up internet allowances

For a new customer it will only record "events" such as movement within a zone.
    does it use up a lot of bandwidth and therefore slow down other devices like laptop and phone etc?

Depends on the speed / quality of your connection.
    Also have a few reservations about the Camera since it's only Wifi, as it's a new build it's going to be an A rated house which I assume means high grade insulation etc. would this impact on the Wifi signal getting to the cameras?

You need strong wifi. This may mean upgrading and multiple routers, once you do that you are fine. I find the Nest Wifi to be great, have a look at this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi nheav,

I have 3 Nest camera's in the house. An outdoor front and back with an indoor to monitor our toddler at night using a Hub Max. The camera's are very good with a slick interface which maks watching back clips really very easy to do. I've found with the front camera and the indoor the signal was fine but the back of the house really seems to struggle with a good Wi-Fi signal and so I have experienced dropouts with the rear camera. An extender fixed the problem for a time but was only a stop gap, I need to find a way of improving the signal properly. The Mesh system I have installed hasn't helped in that regard. The other two camera's though, fantastic.

They will of course use up a lot of bandwidth as on the high setting they use about 300GB per month- each. Depending on your provider that doesn't necessarily have an impact on the speed of your other devices.

I also have the Home Max and that's excellent, I really can't fault it. It's very slick and it's great being able to switch between camera's so easily as well as using it for all its other features.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi Op,

I have something similar to your setup, I think they are worth it but I guess that's up to yourself to decide but the 1 thing is that you'll need decent WiFi to each of the cameras and it takes up a lot of bandwidth, doorbell is about 300GB a month and each of the cameras are about 400GB a month each, I'm not 100% on the "recording", I know it will only save events but I think everything is uploaded first before it's decided whether to keep it or not so even if you aren't using continous recording I think there'll still be an upload, I'm not 100% sure on that though.

1 thing that I find surprisingly handy is a Google Hub in the bedroom, I've 1 my side of the bed and it's awful handy if there's someone at the door when you are still in bed, when it's not used for that it's a nice digital photoframe as well as an ok music player.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

Thank you all very much for the help.

Think that settles it so!

My shopping list will have

- Google Hub Max
    - Google Home mini x 1 (already have 1, so 2 in total should do it for the time being)
    - Nest Hello Doorbell
    - Nest cam Outdoor x 2
    - Nest Aware subscription

Nice to haves if budget allows:
    - Nest Wifi x 2 (I actually didn't realise how good this was until researching from this thread, will definitely invest if I can afford it!!)
    - Nest smoke + CO detector x 2

Has anyone come across anywhere doing this kind of stuff in bundles etc?
    Or any good deals going anywhere?

Lastly, any issues with installation of any of this? The doorbell and outdoor cameras obviously being the ones that might have a little more to it!

Thanks again for the help,

N

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's often 3 packs of the smoke/cameras on offer from time to time, I'd say keep an eye on https://www.hotukdeals.com/ for deals.

The cameras are fine to install, there's 1 USB cable that's really long, personally I ran the cable alongside a vent and got some silicon to cover everything up, it was surprisingly easy to do but I had a plug in a very good spot. Having seen the doorbell installed I think I would have the confidence to do it myself but I think I'd do it one someone else's house rather than mine :) If you have to change a transformer you definitely have to get a sparky to do it. Saying that, I'd say the wired smoke was more difficult to install than the doorbell but I'd a weird setup with my old smoke alarms.

• Advertisement

Great info there.
    Much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Great info there.
    Much appreciated!

Let us know how you get on. I'm planning on doing something similar but will have wired external camera's with cat 6 connections (part of an overall rewire).

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on. I'm planning on doing something similar but will have wired external camera's with cat 6 connections (part of an overall rewire).

May I ask what sort of camera's you've gone for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

May I ask what sort of camera's you've gone for?

I haven't bought anything yet but planning on buying NEST external cameras wired with external cat 6 cables. I don't need them for another couple of months so I am still researching.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jonnybravo wrote: »
    I haven't bought anything yet but planning on buying NEST external cameras wired with external cat 6 cables. I don't need them for another couple of months so I am still researching.

I think the Nest outdoor cameras only work on WiFi. I also think they are vastly over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone care to give me a honest review of the nest wifi, the VM wifi is driving me mad lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I have two nest cameras in the house and unfortunately I have found that I don't have the wifi speeds to run them both. I suspect it's the upload speed that really scuppers us. While I find the cameras themselves, the app and the subscription just fine I can only ever have one camera on at a time, and even that is not 100% reliable.
    Speeds at my house usually hover around 1.6mbps download and about 0.2mbps upload. The joys of living in a rural idyll.

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone care to give me a honest review of the nest wifi

I find it excellent. I have one Nest WiFi router and one Nest WiFi point (with Google assistant).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

2011 wrote: »
    I find it excellent. I have one Nest WiFi router and one Nest WiFi point (with Google assistant).

thats all i will be getting.

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone care to give me a honest review of the nest wifi, the VM wifi is driving me mad lately?

I find it brilliant, I've 3 points, 1 by the back door which covers the garden, 1 the front door and 1 upstairs, i dont need them all but they are perfect and haven't had a moments issue since i got it installed.

I have two nest cameras in the house and unfortunately I have found that I don't have the wifi speeds to run them both. I suspect it's the upload speed that really scuppers us. While I find the cameras themselves, the app and the subscription just fine I can only ever have one camera on at a time, and even that is not 100% reliable.
    Speeds at my house usually hover around 1.6mbps download and about 0.2mbps upload. The joys of living in a rural idyll.

.2mbps upload just won't cut it I'd imagine, at the lowest setting the camera will up about 100gb a month, thats too much for .2mb unfortunately I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Clareman wrote: »
    .2mbps upload just won't cut it I'd imagine, at the lowest setting the camera will up about 100gb a month, thats too much for .2mb unfortunately I'd say

As I said I can just about run one but it's not fully reliable.

Edit to add: When it's working it's brilliant, obviously, or I'd have given up by now.

2011 wrote: »
    I think the Nest outdoor cameras only work on WiFi. I also think they are vastly over priced.

That they do.

Great info there.
    Much appreciated!

Just spotted that the protects are up on HUKD at the moment, the discount code is PANORAMA.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nest-protect-2nd-generation-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-battery-operated-3486234#comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

I find it brilliant, I've 3 points, 1 by the back door which covers the garden, 1 the front door and 1 upstairs, i dont need them all but they are perfect and haven't had a moments issue since i got it installed.

I’ve almost the exact same setup except router is in sitting room instead of hallway. I’m with VM 360 via the hub.
    Fantastic since getting the Nest. No more random reboots of router and excellent speed, getting the full 360 even in rooms without a point. Over 50 devices connected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I find the UK is almost always cheaper than Ireland for any nest stuff.

While Amazon don't sell all the Google home stuff (competitor to Alexa) it does sell a lot of the Nest cameras and smoke alarms etc.

Every now and again you get a deal here like this which is about the same as Amazon.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-home-cameras-and-cctv/google-nest-cam-outdoor-smart-security-camera-10155605-pdt.html

Thanks for all the help on this one.

I have just 1 questions left........

Does anyone have a outdoor Cam and an outdoor cam IQ?
    In which case is it worth the difference?

I am getting 3 Outdoor Cams, and the budget won't allow for 3 IQs, so I was considering getting 2 standard and 1 IQ (for the back garden area most likely)
    But does anyone have any info on them, or if they are worth the extra etc?
    Also, unlikely I would think, but would I have any issues having 2 cams and 1 cam IQ when it comes to system setup etc?

Thanks in advance.

N

I think the IQ has microphones in it so it's handy for noise cancellation and for interacting with people, never use it myself. I think the IQ has a higher spec feed as well (4K vs HD) but HD is more that good enough for an outdoor camera in my opinion, if you're broadband isn't top notch your upload will probably be limited to HD anyway.

Personally I don't think there is value for the upgrade at the moment but each to their own.

Thanks for all the help on this one.

I have just 1 questions left........

Does anyone have a outdoor Cam and an outdoor cam IQ?
    In which case is it worth the difference?

I am getting 3 Outdoor Cams, and the budget won't allow for 3 IQs, so I was considering getting 2 standard and 1 IQ (for the back garden area most likely)
    But does anyone have any info on them, or if they are worth the extra etc?
    Also, unlikely I would think, but would I have any issues having 2 cams and 1 cam IQ when it comes to system setup etc?

Thanks in advance.

N

Am comparing at the moment too and found these:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/nest-cam-vs-nest-cam-iq%3famp

https://youtu.be/WA_e7-94Qyk

Think we'll go for the cheaper one.

Thanks Clareman and Sheep_Shagger,

I think i'm in agreement and while the IQ would be nice, I don't think the modest improvements to features justify the more than modest increase in price!

If I was recommending something for a professsional setup or a sporting ground I'd say stump up for the IQ but for a domestic setup I don't think I could justify it.

If I was recommending something for a professsional setup or a sporting ground I'd say stump up for the IQ but for a domestic setup I don't think I could justify it.

Ours is for the back door/ garden and just don't think we can justify the extra spend. In saying that I wonder how far they drop in price on black Friday......although don't really want to wait until then, anyway the basic model will drop in price too, there will always be a price difference.

Have a nest hello in the front and hub max inside.

Mine it out the back as well, I don't think I've ever used the microphone in it and I normally only use it when I'm working and the kids are playing out the back and I want to keep an eye on them, even at that it's normally as a small window. I have the hello and hub max as well and to be honest I struggle to see the difference in picture quality between the 3 devices, well apart from the fisheye effect on the hello of course

Yea in the same situation myself - I am moving in soon so just want it all sorted ideally, so black friday is out!

Also getting a Hello for the door, and a Hub Max.

Last question on this one.......

Does anyone know anywhere where you can simulate the field of view (130 degree I think on both)
    I have done a sketchup model of the house, and think 3 Cameras will do, but want to be sure!
    I will need one at the front because the door doesn't face out - so the hello cam won't be on the cars even which isn't ideal! But was thinking there must be something somewhere that can let you do a rough layout of the house and will show what areas the camera will or won't pick up!

Surprised it's not in Sketchup as I think that is also owned by Google/Alphabet (maybe it is in there, but I wasn't able to find it!) but has anyone ever come across anything similar?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know anywhere where you can simulate the field of view (130 degree I think on both)
    I have done a sketchup model of the house, and think 3 Cameras will do, but want to be sure!

Surly it is just a matter of drawing a cone with a 130 degree angle at the top to represent the field of view in Sketchup?

Advertisement