Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy farm worker

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Grueller wrote: »
    How much an hour does a farmer pay to FRS for a worker?
    How much does the worker get fromFRS?
    Somewhere in the middle might be a reasonable guide?
    could be about 18euro an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

kevthegaff wrote: »
    could be about 18euro an hour

I assume to FRS, so worker probably on €12ish.
    €14 or so would seem fair then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

20 year old here been working and relief milking on dairy farms since I was 16 and the wage is still more or less the same since 10/hour for part time work 40€/milking and 50€/milking for a sunday .. happy enough with that but wouldnt do dairy work full time for 10/hour anymore and no farmer wants to give any over it really. Working for a tillage farmer for the last 2 summers @ 12/hour. Any of these lads with second units or completely relying on labour are going to have to allow the worker bring in their own stock and have some sort of a share farming agreement in it to keep the worker motivated to stay because if not the worker is really only one phone call from leaving at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Grueller wrote: »
    I assume to FRS, so worker probably on €12ish.
    €14 or so would seem fair then.

If FRS is getting 18/hour worker would be 12tops if not minimum wage. FRS have to pay employer PRSI, bank holiday and holiday pay out of that. It equivalent to over 30% on top of basic hourly rate . As well any safety training such as safepass has to be paid by FRS

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

If FRS is getting 18/hour worker would be 12tops if not minimum wage. FRS have to pay employer PRSI, bank holiday and holiday pay out of that. It equivalent to over 30% on top of basic hourly rate . As well any safety training such as safepass has to be paid by FRS

Agreed but I am talking a worker directly employed by the farmer

Had a lad drawing bales for 10 hrs and I think it was 180 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I reckon if i was dairy farming and looked for a worker in the morning,paying €10 a hour i,de have me pick of lads and maybe lassies.

It's the way things are for now anyway. Our countries full of youth,keen to work and maybe learn something too.

Maybe our region is lucky in that. Look at the marts. They have plenty of help,mainly young help,and thats only odd days a week

I doubt the marts are paying much more than €10 ahour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭kerry cow

pay gross , not net .

a person tax is their own affair .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

kerry cow wrote: »
    pay gross , not net .

a person tax is their own affair .

I dont think it is as easy as that anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Plenty of dairy farmers are making a lot of money , would they not give their worker a reasonable rate of 15 Euro an hour and hold onto them than paying minimum wage ??

Its interesting because I could do with a lad/lass but he or she might be there all say but.only working say 5 to 6 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Its interesting because I could do with a lad/lass but he or she might be there all say but.only working say 5 to 6 hours
    Split shift might suit 3 hours in morning 3 hours in evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Plenty lads are paying over and above it, particularly depending on roles and responsibilities. It still takes a certain scale and profitability to pay a person fulltime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ruwithme wrote: »
    I reckon if i was dairy farming and looked for a worker in the morning,paying €10 a hour i,de have me pick of lads and maybe lassies.

It's the way things are for now anyway. Our countries full of youth,keen to work and maybe learn something too.

Maybe our region is lucky in that. Look at the marts. They have plenty of help,mainly young help,and thats only odd days a week

I doubt the marts are paying much more than €10 ahour

Marts employ mostly farmers who want 2-3 day part-time works week. Ya it minimum wage but that is totally different to working full-time for a dairy farmer 40-50 hours a week.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement