Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIVE THREAD - GREATEST SONG SUNG BY A FEMALE ARTIST

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Strawberry Milkshake take a bow and a rest, epic run game, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Fair play, Strawbs. I really enjoyed that. A lot of the knockouts whizzed past me, but can't complain about the winner (I mean, I can, but...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

ShaneU wrote: »
    What's this 'superior' cover version of Sweet Dreams everyone is talking about? If it's Marilyn Manson you're having a laugh

Truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

It's all over? Didn't know the knock outs had started... didn't get to vote

thats a shame. have missed a few myself. would you have voted SOC?

either way, you're answer will disappoint me! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

thats a shame. have missed a few myself. would you have voted SOC?

either way, you're answer will disappoint me! :pac:

No I wouldn’t have voted for Sinead in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

No I wouldn’t have voted for Sinead in the final

goddam. now i'm disappointed. you may even have prevented her getting that far.

i'm gonna listen to bette davis eyes (at least top 8 IMO).

i love how music is so subjective, there's no rhyme or reason.

i love my (i suppose thats obvious!) taste in music (for the most part rock from 80-90's), but i love so many others.

like tatu, all the things she said. what a song! i try macy gray (not a nomination from me), should have went further. who knocked that out? and for my own nominations, sinnerman? travesty, should have been in the final 4! :pac:

again thanks strawbs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not a huge fan of either of the songs which made it to the final. Expected SOC because it has icon status in Ireland but thought maybe Dolly Parton's Jolene or a Nina Simone offering might get there also.

No Doubt was my personal favorite of the semi-finalists.
    I had heard Janis Ian's Seventeen before but paid much closer attention to it when listening to it here and think that it was quite a brilliantly written song.

Really enjoyed the listening and scoring phase of this. Great way to listen to 350+ songs in a couple of weeks.

Felt there were surprisingly few WTF are they doing here but I scored male/female duets (or co-lead singers) very harshly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

i love how music is so subjective, there's no rhyme or reason...
    It is funny. Like, I completely agree with you about Tatu, Macy Gray and Sinnerman (my nom too) but then completely disagree with you about Bette Davies Eyes :p

• Advertisement

I still can’t get over Son of a preacher man going out in Round 1 to Bette Davis eyes!

I was also in two minds about recording me singing and making you listen to Loving You by Minnie Ripperton as punishment for it not going past qualifying :D

I'm not a huge fan of either of the songs which made it to the final. Expected SOC because it has icon status in Ireland but thought maybe Dolly Parton's Jolene or a Nina Simone offering might get there also.

No Doubt was my personal favorite of the semi-finalists.
    I had heard Janis Ian's Seventeen before but paid much closer attention to it when listening to it here and think that it was quite a brilliantly written song.

Really enjoyed the listening and scoring phase of this. Great way to listen to 350+ songs in a couple of weeks.

Felt there were surprisingly few WTF are they doing here but I scored male/female duets (or co-lead singers) very harshly.

In my experience of previous games, there’s never any time to listen to the songs in the head to heads. If I don’t know a song I want to give it a listen before voting but then that round is usually over by the time I’m ready to vote on it.

Glad you liked the listening/scoring phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I still can’t get over Son of a preacher man going out in Round 1 to Bette Davis eyes!

I was also in two minds about recording me singing and making you listen to Loving You by Minnie Ripperton as punishment for it not going past qualifying :D
    You do requests SM? Wuthering Heights please, video of you doing Kate's mad dance as well :)

In my experience of previous games, there’s never any time to listen to the songs in the head to heads. If I don’t know a song I want to give it a listen before voting but then that round is usually over by the time I’m ready to vote on it.

Glad you liked the listening/scoring phase.

I agree Strawbs, it was a great system :)

If you were to do similar again I'd maybe cut down the number of nominations allowed per person, might have filtered out some of the dross :p
    Or maybe even only including those that got two or more nominations, how many would that have been, do you know?

You do requests SM? Wuthering Heights please, video of you doing Kate's mad dance as well :)

That’s me after a few Bacardi’s :D

Nitwit, less than 70 songs received more than one nomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

No matter the format of the competition, the problem still remains that the majority of you have terrible taste in music. :D

• Advertisement

Nitwit, less than 70 songs received more than one nomination.

Oh wow, given how many of mine doubled up I assumed there'd be loads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

It is funny. Like, I completely agree with you about Tatu, Macy Gray and Sinnerman (my nom too) but then completely disagree with you about Bette Davies Eyes :p

Agreed about Nina Simone - I expected at least one of her nominated songs to go far - I guess a bit of a unique voice so some people wouldn't like her.

On the other hand I never understood the appeal of Tatu. There was nothing exceptional about their music, it was just good marketing for a limited amount of time - and that faux lesbian video. . . cringe worthy stuff. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Lisa Canny is a friend of Mrs G&R
    This is her new song, ye might give it a listen

https://open.spotify.com/track/2BrUqxU9BYws71GPnth7Ww?si=e3CPgER_TEenGb5SPCFc5Q

Apologies strawbs if you have posted this already....... Wondering do we have a scoring chart for the songs that got through the early voting stages?
    Was Sinead on the highest points or was there others higher than her?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Apologies strawbs if you have posted this already....... Wondering do we have a scoring chart for the songs that got through the early voting stages?
    Was Sinead on the highest points or was there others higher than her?

Just reading this now bubbly, I’ll get list of top 20 in morning and it’s up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

This part of the site is new to me but this is a cool idea

Where's is it at now?

Quarter Finals? Semis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Where's is it at now?

Quarter Finals? Semis?

Ta se criochnaithe.
    We have our winner

Nothing Compares 2U by Sinead O’Connor!

Nominated by Irish Aris, Kane toad & Kathleen Grant.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Where's is it at now?

Quarter Finals? Semis?

I might do another one in a few months time.

Options would be -
    Best duet song
    Best love song
    Best song by a male vocalist

????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Options would be -
    Best duet song
    Best love song

????

Best 2010's song hasn't been done....

headgear-how-do-you-do-fellow-kids

Options would be -
    Best duet song
    Best love song

????

Best version of Have You Seen The Rain?
    If LeVar's Walrus is anything to go by, there are zillions of versions out there!

The decades threads are Kolido’s (I don’t want the 2010’s one) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Best version of Have You Seen The Rain?
    If LeVar's Walrus is anything to go by, there are zillions of versions out there!

And all of them absolutely dreadful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

And all of them absolutely dreadful...

Except Creedence's original right.... right?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The decades threads are Kolido’s (I don’t want the 2010’s one) :D

I only do 80s and 90s :D

Except Creedence's original right.... right?!

Don't get me started on my hatred for that monstrosity of a "band" again. Absolute muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Don't get me started on my hatred for that monstrosity of a "band" again. Absolute muck.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Where's the report button for troll posts..... :eek::D

Advertisement