Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop connected to WiFi but nothing is working

Options
  • 09-06-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,690 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Hope the below makes sense - All of my items (PS4, Phone, iPad, Apple TV) are connected fine to the WiFi and are working. Work laptop says it’s connected too but nothing is working (Teams, Skype, Internet etc).

Any ideas what the issue might be? I’ve tried the normal WiFi and Personal Hotspot and it’s the same issue for both.

Not sure how to give better examples.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

callaway92 wrote: »
    Hi folks

Hope the below makes sense - All of my items (PS4, Phone, iPad, Apple TV) are connected fine to the WiFi and are working. Work laptop says it’s connected too but nothing is working (Teams, Skype, Internet etc).

Any ideas what the issue might be? I’ve tried the normal WiFi and Personal Hotspot and it’s the same issue for both.

Not sure how to give better examples.

Cheers!

from console, can you try "ping 8.8.8.8". If it works, then you have a DNS issue. Might narrow down the problem at least. I have wifi issues sometimes, but they are intermittent, and due to the Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 having trouble with 5GHz sometime. When it fails, it also sometimes looks connected, but cannot access anything. Try updating to latest drivers, you might have something a bit similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,690 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jaysis I’ve actually narrowed it down a bit further - I’m able to access software on my Computer (ie Pokerstars and Sky Go for example are fine) but none of the Microsoft Suite are working nor is Chrome/Edge/Internet Explorer

The return I’m getting from Edge though like you mentioned above is a DNS error

Not quite sure how to amend that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,690 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wow - looks like I’m back in business from disabling Symantec and enabling it again

Advertisement