Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build Project Manager

Options
  • 09-06-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

We have just received planning approval for the construction of a new two storey (250sqm) house in the midlands.
    The house will be to NZEB standard , passive slab, timber frame, well insulated, AtoW Heating and MVHR ventilation.

I intend to go down the self build route but planning to employ a Project Manager to look after the build.

Has anyone got experience of going this route?
    Anyone know the average set fee for a project manager?
    Can anyone recommend any good project managers in the Midlands area?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Curious to know how you see that working out.
    Id always presumed people going the self build route knew people or had family involved in construction managing the build themselves. Cutting out the need for the middle man be it a project manager or contractor.
    If you've little building experience yourself and you still want to go down the self build route yourself you prob need a good knowledgeable carpenter /foreman/woman that'll work along side the various trades keeping an eye on things when the build is going on while tipping along at their own work for you also. Prob looking at 1200 -1500 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I cant see the benefit of this to be honest.

Some questions to ask yourself:
    1. Who is going to do the work of the trades that fall between one trade finishing and the other starting.
    2. Have you a full set of construction drawings done with all the details?
    3. who is going to procure the trades? You or the PM?
    4. How are you ensuring value for money?
    5. Who makes the decisions you or the PM?
    6. How are you controlling the budget?
    7. How are you signing off the build?

What happens the times when a trade doesnt show and you have a PM just doing nothing. Does this have to be picked up by you?

Are you handy yourself OP? Maybe get a builder to get the house to the weather tight stage and do the finishing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Don't do this.....hire a local Engineer or Architect to supervise and sign off on this....it will save you money in the long term...not is not the time to scrimp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Who did the planning application and costings?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Stanford wrote: »
    Don't do this.....hire a local Engineer or Architect to supervise and sign off on this....it will save you money in the long term...not is not the time to scrimp

It’s not a question of ‘supervision’ - this about who is going to ‘manage the build’

The trades will have some crack considering how often an arch or eng will be paid to visit site!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 DK2020

Curious to know how you see that working out.
    Id always presumed people going the self build route knew people or had family involved in construction managing the build themselves. Cutting out the need for the middle man be it a project manager or contractor.
    If you've little building experience yourself and you still want to go down the self build route yourself you prob need a good knowledgeable carpenter /foreman/woman that'll work along side the various trades keeping an eye on things when the build is going on while tipping along at their own work for you also. Prob looking at 1200 -1500 a week

I have some experience in the industry but with work commitments I wouldn’t have the time to spend on site.
    The house I am planning to build will be to NZEB standards with particular focus on thermal bridging detailing and air tightness( below 3 and as close to 0.6 as possible) as I believe they are the two of the most important areas that will impact on the final quality/comfort of the house.
    With this in mind I think it is important to have someone on site who knows what they are at.
    If I use an Architect or Engineer to take on this role they will only be on site every two weeks or so and this will mean poor workmanship might go unnoticed.

As I see it this leaves me with one of two routes:

Contractor with fixed price lump sum which gives me some degree of cost certainty but
    this price will be inflated to cover his PM time and profit.
    I will have no control over the build day to day, programme overruns, quality , opportunities to make savings or costs when it comes to any changes.

Or,

Self Build, I can't be on site regularly nor would I have the free time in evening or weekends to take on all the tasks required, so I intended to employ someone for this role.

If I have a PM on-board I would expect that he/she is acting in my interests at all times.
    They would have contacts for good local trades people.( I have some contacts also)
    They would manage the tendering of the packages, evaluate the returns and put forward the preferred subcontractor/supplier.
    Look after the Health and Safety, Service connections, discharge of planning conditions
    They would programme the works, schedule deliveries, ensure the works are carried out to the correct details and to the expected quality.
    With their experience and knowledge, they would resolve problems before they arise.
    They would report to us both formally and informally on a regular basis giving updates on progress/quality/cost and be available to meet on site to talk us through the various stages as the build progresses.
    They would advise us in advance of when key decisions need to be made like kitchen, tiles, sanitaryware etc., and assist us in making those decisions
    Assist in agreeing payments to subcontractors and any dispute resolution.

I understand your point regarding the Carpenter but I would still need to do all the paperwork,tendering, ordering, dealing with issues on site myself.
    I intended to go down the PM route as it gives me someone who is working on my behalf, who understand the latest building requirements, who is responsible for the quality of the finished product (on time and on budget) while giving me a good level of control as the build progresses.
    I expect the saving of using directly employed trades verses the contractor price (with PM cost and profit built in) will pay for the PM.
    It may be a case of agreeing a figure for the management service and then having a bonus for coming in on budget/on time/on spec.

Tefral wrote: »

1. Who is going to do the work of the trades that fall between one trade finishing and the other starting.

What happens the times when a trade doesnt show and you have a PM just doing nothing. Does this have to be picked up by you?

Are you handy yourself OP? Maybe get a builder to get the house to the weather tight stage and do the finishing yourself.

-I see the benefit as having someone I trust on site to ensure the house I am building is delivered on time, on budget and to the correct spec.
    I will have more input and influence on the finished product than if I use a Contractor but will have the support of an experienced professional at all stages.
    With the quality of build now required to meet the new standards and the cost of achieving this I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

-I expect by having a PM on board the packages will be bought with as few gaps in the trades as possible but I know it is impossible to eliminate that altogether. I have a friend who is a “Jack of all Trades” who will step in to fill the gaps but he can’t commit to the build full time.

-I will have, these are being worked up at the moment.

-The PM will do the leg work , getting the tenders, returns and evaluating them to make sure they are like for like. We would then act on their recommendations.

-I would expect to see at least 3 quotes before packages are placed.

-I think we would need to trust the PM to make day to day decisions but any Key decisions would be discussed with us first(Team decision).

-I intend to have a priced BOQ which will set a budget for each package.

-Engineer to do stage visits as part of his appointment.

-I do not envisage paying anyone to just stand around.
    In the early stages of the build I expect the PM will be very busy with the tendering and paperwork side of things when not on site. As we move to the finishing trades there maybe times when the PM would not be required full time. It might be a case that we agree to taper off the service at a certain stage in the build.
    This is one of the areas I would need some advise on to see how others have set this up previously.

-No, I wouldn’t be able to carry out any of the skilled work myself, my work commitments wouldn’t allow me the time to do this anyway.

Stanford wrote: »
    Who did the planning application and costings?

A Passive House certified Architect did the planning drawings( not going for passive house standard but looking to use the principles)

BOQ yet to be done.

BryanF wrote: »
    It’s not a question of ‘supervision’ - this about who is going to ‘manage the build’

The trades will have some crack considering how often an arch or eng will be paid to visit site!

Thanks BryanF, that is exactly what I am looking for while still going down the self build route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I think you may be making this unnecessarily awkward for yourself having to manage a PM rather than going with a contractor who will have to meet the standards, milestones and overall testing set out at the start.

You can't bluff an A3 house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 JLN

Hi OP,

From my experience it is worth while having a project manager over a contractor if you know you can make savings throughout the build.

If you have contacts in the industry like suppliers/trades who you know will give you favourable rates, or if you just want to use them for a particular reason, then this gives you the flexibility to do that. (remember your project manager will also have contacts)

A good project manager should be able to make further savings throughout the build by making key decisions at the right time or by negotiating further reductions from suppliers/trades on your behalf.

PM me if you want the details of someone I know has performed this role before.

Will do, Thks JLN.

Advertisement