Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Direct Provision - Should it be ended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

What are you talking about?

The push to end Direct Provision had direct impact in the government and they came out and said that they're making plans to change it.

You're acting as if this mob isn't capable of making change. It absolutely is. That's the scary part.

They’ll get rid of direct provision. Demand social housing, full welfare and working rights for all asylum seekers. Then work on getting rid of the 27th amendment and securing an amnesty for all illegal immigrants.

They want complete open borders and are on their way to getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    They’ll get rid of direct provision. Demand social housing, full welfare and working rights for all asylum seekers. Then work on getting rid of the 27th amendment and securing an amnesty for all illegal immigrants.

But, who will pick our Keelings strawberries if we don't let this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Yup, pretty obvious goal and as you said, it's looking like it could happen.

I don't think "normal" people really quite realise what's going on here and it won't be clear until it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Tv3 report from Cahirciveen showing loads of residents out protesting and calling for an end to direct provision. If that’s what they want assume they’ll be happy if the Skellig hotel is closed and all the asylum seekers there housed locally given the welcome posters on display?

They have called an indefinite hunger strike apparently.

Sorry now but I feel they have thrown hard earned Irish taxpayers efforts back ungratefully

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

I see the asylum seekers in the four star hotel in Cahersiveen are on hunger strike.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-have-been-traumatized-asylum-seekers-in-a-kerry-direct-provision-centre-on-hunger-strike-in-protest-at-inhumane-conditions-39403971.html
    There were claims that there was poor deep cleaning and sanitising of hotel rooms where there had been confirmed cases of Covid-19.

This line jumped out to me. Can these people not deep clean their own hotel room? It’s not like they’re busy working and all their meals are provided so not busy cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I see the asylum seekers in the four star hotel in Cahersiveen are on hunger strike.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-have-been-traumatized-asylum-seekers-in-a-kerry-direct-provision-centre-on-hunger-strike-in-protest-at-inhumane-conditions-39403971.html

This line jumped out to me. Can these people not deep clean their own hotel room? It’s not like they’re busy working and all their meals are provided so not busy cooking.

They probably aren't allowed to clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

End it?

How will we replace it?

Should we model our system on the French "jungle" in Calais or the UK and American detention centres.

Currently asylum seekers are treated better than Irish homeless in emergency accommodation.

The majority of asylum seekers have their claims rejected within a 12 month period and they drag the process out themselves through various loopholes.

The emergency accommodation they are provided with is more than adequate and is much more than the emergency accommodation provided to irish and eu citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

End it?

How will we replace it?

Should we model our system on the French "jungle" in Calais or the UK and American detention centres.

Currently asylum seekers are treated better than Irish homeless in emergency accommodation.

The majority of asylum seekers have their claims rejected within a 12 month period and they drag the process out themselves through various loopholes.

The emergency accommodation they are provided with is more than adequate and is much more than the emergency accommodation provided to irish and eu citizens.

I would welcome the reasons that Calais is a jungle. Those people don't want to leave France because its unsafe, its because it doesn't dish out welfare to anyone who lands on its shores.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Deffo ended we need a fast process centre and ship them bogus ones out

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Were Irish people who fled to the US put in direct provision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If they have flown into Ireland from a safe country, they should be sent back to that safe country and their application for asylum in Ireland be processed from that safe country. The insanity and stupidity of direct provision has really come to the fore during the current COVID-19 crisis.

Exactly. And then if we are handling their asylum process do it promptly, cut out the bull**** that is making the legal profession richer.
    If we give asylum then hopefully with a bit of support these people can get into the workforce and contribute to society. Of course we will always have native born spongers regardless of the amount of jobs available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

sasta le wrote: »
    Deffo ended we need a fast process centre and ship them bogus ones out

Maybe we could send a few of our own spongers back with them

Edgware wrote: »
    Maybe we could send a few of our own spongers back with them

I guess we can't do that however perfect that would be
    Look at all the Afro Irish that are growing up here acting like gangsters and bring utter scumbags we don't need more of this
    Do we want what has happened in France and Italy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I would welcome the reasons that Calais is a jungle. Those people don't want to leave France because its unsafe, its because it doesn't dish out welfare to anyone who lands on its shores.

When the jungle was being disbanded a few years ago. My husbands friend ( uk high court enforcement) was one of those employed to do the job. It was a joint effort by the UK and French governments as the illegals were there trying to get to UK.

They had guns etc pulled on them. Huge amounts of people arrested and deported to back where they came from. From the paperwork he was privvy too, there were quite a few residents of the camp "people smugglers" there just to bring people to the UK illegally.

I have also worked for an organisation who was given responsibility for a number of "bearded children". We knew 100% they were adults but the do gooders prevented medical examinations to verify. Would have been a some teeth x-ray. 1 sexually assaulted a girl in school couldn't be deported as his paperwork said 16 at the time. 1 planted a bomb on a train.

Years ago I know a security guard that was pinned down in a centre ( pre anchor baby ref) he was jumped and held down by Nigerian men in an attempt to rape him to get a woman pregnant.

In a maternity hospital around 2000 I saw a young refugee child about 2, mother was a patient kicked into a bin by its father. We called a nurse it was an area covered by cctv. Child was removed from them along with newborn. Father was taken away but came back 2 days later on the morning I was collecting my friend who was a patient. He got up on the wife in the hospital bed!!!!!! Presumably to get her pregnant again for another anchor baby. She didn't object.

At the moment DP is what we have, it's better than other EU countries.

Instead of abolishing it we need to concentrate on improving the legislation, close appeal loopholes and increase deportations. Only allow leave to remain for a maximum of 3 year blocks at which time its reviewed and you can be made return. Include a provision that criminal activity cancels any right to remain immediately

And for God's sake don't do what the UK do and put them on passenger planes with cops as the do gooders book tickets on the flights and disrupt so they can't take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This is yet another example of bogus asylum-seekers.

This Egyptian criminal is an asylum-seeker, yet some people in Ireland think that this criminal should be given an own-door house.

He should be deported.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/father-of-three-accused-of-running-six-brothels-where-habitual-prostitution-took-place-39646414.html

A father-of-three has been accused of operating six brothels around Dublin, each of which was occupied by sex workers with “habitual prostitution” taking place.

Hani Shoky (44) is alleged to have leased the raided properties, mostly suburban apartments, over the course of two years.

He was granted bail despite garda objections when he appeared in Dublin District Court.

Mr Shoky, an Egyptian asylum seeker with an address Abbot Court, Cualanor, Dún Laoghaire, is charged with six counts of brothel-keeping and eight of using false supporting documents for lease agreements on the properties.

Why are we not just stopping these people at point of entry?How is there all these African scumbgags here?And i feel sorry for the decent African folk here legally and going about there lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭cgcsb

An open question here. I was surprised to see on the news that there's a plan to end direct provision by 2023 and replace it with a new system that will cost less. Fair enough one might say.

Further details: under the plan an asylum seeker will be provided with 'own door accommodation' within 3 months of arrival.

I'm just shocked because
    1) how is this possible?
    2) how will this cost less?
    3) Does that mean that the social housing list will also be cleared completely by 2023?
    4)If not how can this be justified? It's openly giving citizens of other countries preferentional treatment and far greater access to public services (housing being the most essential service possible). It is illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of their national origin, presumably including Irish citizens is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cgcsb wrote: »
    An open question here. I was surprised to see on the news that there's a plan to end direct provision by 2023 and replace it with a new system that will cost less. Fair enough one might say.

Further details: under the plan an asylum seeker will be provided with 'own door accommodation' within 3 months of arrival.

I'm just shocked because
    1) how is this possible?
    3) Does that mean that the social housing list will also be cleared completely by 2023?
    4)If not how can this be justified? It's openly giving citizens of other countries preferentional treatment and far greater access to public services (housing being the most essential service possible). It is illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of their national origin, presumably including Irish citizens is it not?

its all smoke and mirrors, the plan will be diluted so much that we never leave DP, either that or it'll be for new entrants only and the government will finally get some balls and send them all away at the airport / port.

There is not a single genuine reason anyone from Africa, South America, the Middle East, Russia / Georgia or Asia should be claiming asylum here.

Regardless of whether an individual is genuine or not, how can the state say with such certainty that any person arriving and claiming asylum (Which is basically something that anyone in the world other than Irish people can do here at any time) will be housed by the state inside 3 months, but an Irish person can expect to be a decade or more on a housing list.

Can a desperate Irish person decide to leave the state, come back, loose their passport in transit, claim to be from an obscure country and claim this 3 month insta-house?

What other countries are offering this? I don't think even Sweden operates such a policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

House them in 3 months? Can we have a bit of that please? There's loads of people I know that if they could have a house here within 3 months it'd be like winning the lotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I'm just shocked because
    1) how is this possible?

no way will it cost less, this will cost a lot more and in 5 years' time when that comes out they'll say "well, no-one could have anticipated this, and no-one could have anticipated the huge increase in applications after the COVID pandemic, now we need to show love for our million new brothers and sisters who will build the country"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

goose2005 wrote: »
    no way will it cost less, this will cost a lot more and in 5 years' time when that comes out they'll say "well, no-one could have anticipated this, and no-one could have anticipated the huge increase in applications after the COVID pandemic, now we need to show love for our million new brothers and sisters who will build the country"
    And while that is happening, many indigenous Irish will be emigrating to escape the nightmare imposed on them without any say in the matter ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They need some use for the gazillion of build to rent and co living developments being built, since there are fewer people needing to work in the cities now. That's with my cynical hat on. But first dibs should be be to our own, not asylum seekers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Pigsaw

Can't wait until we're giving free houses to 'refugees' from places like Albania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm just shocked because
    1) how is this possible?

Sounds like its coming from the Green corner, DP is O Gormans pet project but its seems like off the wall stuff to think someone can rock up and get a house within 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This “own door” asylum seekers accommodation idea is startling...

Can we expect the same or better for Irish citizens currently homeless so?

If not, why not?

Even if the courts done nothing to stop such discrimination you can more less count on a working class led trump style right wing backlash and the people in charge won't see the inside of government for a generation as a result. There's no way middle or working class folk impacted by the housing crisis would tolerate this and the people who'll suffer is unfortunate refugees who won't have popular sympathy in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sounds like its coming from the Green corner, DP is O Gormans pet project but its seems like off the wall stuff to think someone can rock up and get a house within 3 months.
    Most definitely, (The Legend) O' Gorman is spearheading this project. He gleefully tells his supporters that it will happen.
    When the Greens were in discussions after the election to form a government, they had 17 major points for discussion, with Direct Provision as their number one item on the list. I can not imagine that the people who put a check next to Green Party candidates were thinking that Direct Provision was going to be their main priority. These voters were probably thinking about the environment, sustainability, climate change etc.

But now we have a situation where a party who only had 7% of the votes in the last election, changing the migration/asylum landscape in Ireland to such an extent that our country will the number one target for every asylum seeker chancer on the planet due to the entitlements that the Green Party are going to offer them.

With the impending depression (not recession) that will be upon us in the coming year or so, and the fact that we are one of the most indebted countries in the world with massive debts to pay off, it is astounding that the Green Party is going to lead us into further debt in order to implement these Direct Provision changes. It is a ludicrous scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Kivaro wrote: »
    Most definitely, (The Legend) O' Gorman is spearheading this project. He gleefully tells his supporters that it will happen.
    When the Greens were in discussions after the election to form a government, they had 17 major points for discussion, with Direct Provision as their number one item on the list. I can not imagine that the people who put a check next to Green Party candidates were thinking that Direct Provision was going to be their main priority. These voters were probably thinking about the environment, sustainability, climate change etc.

But now we have a situation where a party who only had 7% of the votes in the last election, changing the migration/asylum landscape in Ireland to such an extent that our country will the number one target for every asylum seeker chancer on the planet due to the entitlements that the Green Party are going to offer them.

With the impending depression (not recession) that will be upon us in the coming year or so, and the fact that we are one of the most indebted countries in the world with massive debts to pay off, it is astounding that the Green Party is going to lead us into further debt in order to implement these Direct Provision changes. It is a ludicrous scenario.

But think of all the butterflies they'll save. :)

My jaw dropped when I heard refugees would get a house inside of 3 months of application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Covid has been a test really. When people are dumb enough to accept rules of distancing from family & friends, lockdowns for no reason, mask-wearing, without question, they will accept anything from there on in.
    The weakening of the population has been a drip drip effect over past 2 or 3 decades especially. They'll now flood the country with Africans, give them greater standard of life and opportunity than the Irish poor. Most Irish people too weak to even question let alone stop it from happening.

Advertisement