Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PBP want to tear down stuff in Galway

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

'It is inevitable that there will be many more debates about slavery and race in the future, and, as a multicultural city and island, we must continue to interrogate historical representations'. https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/115387/why-galway-needs-to-talk-about-columbus-and-slavery?fbclid=IwAR260zyPicyl3Uy1XWSxTsxY9OQLBm_NAhH6j-iEtwx4nlm1-c7zyf3qfsM

A reasoned article calling for debate around relocating monuments that have been erected in our public spaces and a reminder in the article that the desire for debate around this issue is not a new phenomenon but has obviously resurfaced due to recent events internationally.

Are you suggesting that the Galway Advertiser has been infiltrated by Trotskyists?

I find that difficult to believe.

That would be news to The Galway Advertiser :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That article is in the same vein as their previous pieces
    It is time the radical Left prepared for Government
    How to defeat the Alt.Right

biko wrote: »
    That article is in the same vein as their previous pieces
    It is time the radical Left prepared for Government
    How to defeat the Alt.Right

Have you a link to those articles?

Never noticed a particularly left leaning edge in the Galway Advertiser before, editorials in line with national MSM sentiment or pieces promoting Galway festivals etc., is what I recall. Nothing radical or out of the ordinary. Also the above article that is properly linked to, despite the reference to Engels, is a fairly mild conciliatory piece suggesting debate around the relocation of certain monuments. It’s hardly radical left stuff.

My perception of this site is that it’s (or perhaps has become) very Right Wing dominated and perhaps traditional print media etc. is deemed Leftist by comparison.

Edit; in brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, BY THE INSIDER
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/95072/it-is-time-the-radical-left-prepared-for-government
    'The housing crisis is not an accident. It is the result of policy'
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/107470/how-to-defeat-the-altright
    'We need to get together because, if we don’t, the Alt.Right is coming to get you'

Click me to find more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Reads like a PBP press release.

Who else would quote Engels.

They also quoted Columbus - that might undermine your point ;)

biko wrote: »

Must start paying it more attention. Is TheInsider an editorial or a regular column piece with a different perspective perhaps? Must have a better look at it next time I see one. At a glance those opinion pieces aren’t extremist either btw.

Going back to the article linked to the content of this thread I maintain that there’s nothing far Right or Far Left or extremist in any way about calling for a debate re relocating certain monuments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

MFPM wrote: »
    They also quoted Columbus - that might undermine your point ;)

The article was about a Columbus statue, so not entirely unexpected that Columbus might be quoted in the article.

So no, it doesn’t undermine my point.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    At a glance those opinion pieces aren’t extremist either btw.

In your opinion btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

The article was about a Columbus statue, so not entirely unexpected that Columbus might be quoted in the article.

So no, it doesn’t undermine my point.

But your point is about the motivation of the author so I think you'll find it does.

• Advertisement

MFPM wrote: »
    But your point is about the motivation of the author so I think you'll find it does.

No, I won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I quite like reading The Insider. Sometimes it's very good and you can tell the author is someone with a lot experience of politics both at the national and local level.

Having said that, it's clearly not written by the same person week on week, as the political views underlying the articles are inconsistent week to week. I would think there's a stable of contributors who rotate. Most I think do have varying degrees of left leaning views. but that's in keeping with the general editorial direction of the GA.

If you pay attention you'll find there's generally a few articles in it that are giving airtime to some aspiring leftist politicians. Joe Loughnane got consistent space in the months prior to election[his replacement in PBP is currently getting the same treatment], as did SF's Mairead Farrell in the period between being voted out of council and being voted into the Dail. Never anything more than a statement needed to get into the pages from those with views the GA endorses. As a point of interest, the GA was the only local media not to carry the story of Joe Loughnane's treatment of women when it came out on election day.

By contrast, you will see disproportionately few pieces involving FG/FF/Noel Grealish/etc politicians. Noel Grealish would offend the editorial sensibilities I would think.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I quite like reading The Insider. Sometimes it's very good and you can tell the author is someone with a lot experience of politics both at the national and local level.

Having said that, it's clearly not written by the same person week on week, as the political views underlying the articles are inconsistent week to week. I would think there's a stable of contributors who rotate. Most I think do have varying degrees of left leaning views. but that's in keeping with the general editorial direction of the GA.

If you pay attention you'll find there's generally a few articles in it that are giving airtime to some aspiring leftist politicians. Joe Loughnane got consistent space in the months prior to election[his replacement in PBP is currently getting the same treatment], as did SF's Mairead Farrell in the period between being voted out of council and being voted into the Dail. Never anything more than a statement needed to get into the pages from those with views the GA endorses. As a point of interest, the GA was the only local media not to carry the story of Joe Loughnane's treatment of women when it came out on election day.

By contrast, you will see disproportionately few pieces involving FG/FF/Noel Grealish/etc politicians. Noel Grealish would offend the editorial sensibilities I would think.

Hmmmm I think you're being a little one sided there perhaps. You'd also see plenty of pieces where Hildegarde Naughton or Sean Kyne are given a platform and lots of leeway to air their views but you left that out.

In relation to Grealish I wouldn't blame them if it's the case they don't find him to their liking. Grealish would be standing up in the Dail, abusing Dail privilege, and throwing figures around the place that have no veracity but he knows well what he's at and gets the attention and votes from some simple folk with little understanding of the complexities of issues re immigration etc.. There is certainly a debate to be had re Direct Provision centres and so on but Grealish doesn't go about it the right way that's for certain.

As regards the Advertiser, you're right perhaps it does deserve a bit more attention. I suppose it's taken for granted as it comes in the door free every Thursday. It's very handy for when you're peeling spuds or scraping carrots for the compost bin. Might have a read of The Insider the next time I'm peeling an orange.

Hmmmm I think you're being a little one sided there perhaps. You'd also see plenty of pieces where Hildegarde Naughton or Sean Kyne are given a platform and lots of leeway to air their views but you left that out.

In relation to Grealish I wouldn't blame them if it's the case they don't find him to their liking. Grealish would be standing up in the Dail, abusing Dail privilege, and throwing figures around the place that have no veracity but he knows well what he's at and gets the attention and votes from some simple folk with little understanding of the complexities of issues re immigration etc.. There is certainly a debate to be had re Direct Provision centres and so on but Grealish doesn't go about it the right way that's for certain.

As regards the Advertiser, you're right perhaps it does deserve a bit more attention. I suppose it's taken for granted as it comes in the door free every Thursday. It's very handy for when you're peeling spuds or scraping carrots for the compost bin. Might have a read of The Insider the next time I'm peeling an orange.

Hildegarde Naughton and Sean Kyne are a TD and a Senator respectively, and I rarely see them in the paper. I've specifically said that I take issue with the coverage given to unelected politicians, often ones who have been rejected by the electorate[I specifically said I considerd Ms Farrell's coverage disproportionate in the period between losing her seat at the council and being elected to the Dail].

And again, I understand they wouldn't give coverage to Grealish if they disagree with his views, but why not report the Joe Loughnane election story? They gave him tonnes of coverage in the weeks and months leading up to the election. It smacks of bias to not acknowledge a story that was the talk of the election in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I don't know about Naughten or Kyne, but I remember an issue of the Advertiser a few months ago where Seán Canney had five separate stories obviously based on press releases he'd sent out. It stuck in my mind.

He's an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

He's an independent.

And?

He's an independent.

So is Noel Grealish

So is Noel Grealish

Different Independent TDs have differing views, Sean Canney is a fairly standard "keep it local" independent from what I've seen, whereas Noel, as a former PD, would have a broader set of views.

Different Independent TDs have differing views, Sean Canney is a fairly standard "keep it local" independent from what I've seen, whereas Noel, as a former PD, would have a broader set of views.

Broader set of views? Broader would not be word I would use to describe Noel Dog Whistler Grealish's views.

• Advertisement
Advertisement