Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PBP want to tear down stuff in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

jprender wrote: »
    Ah here, you're taking the piss surely.

Who is going to remove by force a statue of Christopher Columbus ?
    RBB ?

I don't think there's as many obvious monuments to slave traders and other racist sum standing around in Ireland, though there could be the odd one? The Columbus one in Galway is a plaque I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What "nonsense" is this exactly? The nonsense spouted buy a few Rightists on this thread perhaps, would be good if that stopped alright.

The nonsense that a monument of Christopher Columbus is offensive and should be removed from its' current location.

What's it got to do with left/right ?
    Doesn't matter where the idea came from.
    It's just stupid tbh; TD's trying to remain in view and looking for column inches.

so mob rule basically

In the absence of the authorities taking control over matters, yep sometimes you do get mob rule. If the cops in America showed a bit of discipline and stopped killing black people for no reason then they might have less bother with riots on their streets I'd imagine.

The authorities everywhere need to keep up and move with the times.

jprender wrote: »
    The nonsense that a monument of Christopher Columbus is offensive and should be removed from its' current location.

What's it got to do with left/right ?
    Doesn't matter where the idea came from.
    It's just stupid tbh; TD's trying to remain in view and looking for column inches.

Is it nonsense? It depends on what Columbus got up to, was he a slave trader, did he profit from slave trading? If he did, history gets revised and he gets put in a museum instead of pride of place locations in my view.

Brandishing a thong.

We'll make an exception for that one and keep it.

• Advertisement

Lets tear down every school in the country that exist on church grounds, or has some reference to the Church in it's name
    Let's rename Croagh Patrck, as it's named after a Catholic Saint
    Let's rename St. Patricks Day
    Let's get rid of the bust of JFK from Eyre Square because he treated his wife badly

F**k off and do something worthwhile with your life.
    What the hell is wrong with people?

RandRuns wrote: »
    "Everything has to be how we want it to be, or we will destroy it"

There's a name for that.

Statues and monuments get removed and relocated all the time. The authorities wherever they are should keep up and be on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Who in their right minds would have anything to do with that group they have no support .

Who wouldnt want to vote for a party that produces such intellectual powerhouses as Bríd Smith, Gino and Rich Boy Barrett?

Lets tear down every school in the country that exist on church grounds, or has some reference to the Church in it's name
    Let's rename Croagh Patrck, as it's named after a Catholic Saint
    Let's rename St. Patricks Day
    Let's get rid of the bust of JFK from Eyre Square because he treated his wife badly

F**k off and do something worthwhile with your life.
    What the hell is wrong with people?

:pac: Calm down, Calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Anyone get the feeling 'The Citizen' has close ties to
    PBP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

empacher wrote: »
    PBP?

I can hear the Rage Against the Machine playlist from here.

empacher wrote: »
    PBP?

:pac: Never voted for them.

I'm reacting to the way they've been hounded on this thread for calling for something that is happening in lots of other cities in other countries. Are they being hounded because they are PBF? or is it because of what they're saying on the issue of statues or monuments standing in places to people who have had racist views or maybe sexist views or profited from slave trading. Views that nowadays are no longer acceptable.

I can hear the Rage Against the Machine playlist from here.

They were a cracking band actually back in the day.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

touts wrote: »
    They should start by insisting that any portraits of the likes of Che, Lenin, Mao etc their supporters have on their walls be edited to include reference to mass murder, death squads, gulags, terrorism and famine.

They were freedom fighters. Any alleged deaths resulting from their actions were entirely coincidental and not their responsibility.

Will anyone with glasses be liquidated next?

Hounded? FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We should put up an even bigger monument up to Dick Dowling, he was some buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

A portait on their walls is hardly the same thing as a public monument, don't be ridiculous.

So it's OK to look up to people who committed mass murder and operated forced labour camps for their people as long as you do it in the privacy of your own home?

touts wrote: »
    So it's OK to look up to people who committed mass murder and operated forced labour camps for their people as long as you do it in the privacy of your own home?

That's not what I said, but you already knew that, unless you're being a bit thick

Hounded? FFS.

Yeah hounded for suggesting something that has been done and is currently being done in other places and countries. FFS what?

It's like feckin Stormfront around here with the proliferation of Right wingers.

They were freedom fighters. Any alleged deaths resulting from their actions were entirely coincidental and not their responsibility.

Will anyone with glasses be liquidated next?

Is it because they are seen as Left that you hate them so

• Advertisement

Is it because they are seen as Left that you hate them so

Very strangely worded question. ‘Seen as Left’. Are you attempting to imply that they were not ‘Left’?

Yeah hounded for suggesting something that has been done and is currently being done in other places and countries. FFS what?

It's like feckin Stormfront around here with the proliferation of Right wingers.

Hounding. Jesus, you need to get out a bit more.

Very strangely worded question. ‘Seen as Left’. Are you attempting to imply that they were not ‘Left’?

I suppose they were, but Mao in particular was simply a tyrant, left or right was neither here nor there wioth characters like him or Stalin who was also deemed Left or the likes of Hitler for example who was deemed Right. Pol Pot what was he a Leftie tyrant or a Right wingnut one?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Statues and monuments get removed and relocated all the time. The authorities wherever they are should keep up and be on top of it.

Sean Russell died aboard a Nazi craft. Would you remove his statue, as a matter of interest?

Hounding. Jesus, you need to get out a bit more.
    It's a figure of speech I don't mean it literally.

I'm referring to the thread op and several posters after it who use it as an opportunity to attack PBP while ignoring what they actually suggested. Is it outlandish to suggest that monuments top slave traders or other racists should be removed or relocated perhaps in museums?

I don't think so, but the reaction to this thread would seem it is simply because of the where the suggestion came from it appears.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Sean Russell died aboard a Nazi craft. Would you remove his statue, as a matter of interest?

Where is his statue exactly so we can get it removed/relocated?

I suppose they were, but Mao in particular was simply a tyrant, left or right was neither here nor there wioth characters like him or Stalin who was also deemed Left or the likes of Hitler for example who was deemed Right. Pol Pot what was he a Leftie tyrant or a Right wingnut one?

You ‘suppose’ they were? This revisionism is tiring and pathetic.

Looks like the left is now above criticism or questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Tell them to **** off and be done with it.

• Advertisement

Looks like the left is now above criticism or questioning.

Who said that?

Advertisement