Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PBP want to tear down stuff in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

emo72 wrote: »
    PBP should be concerned about making life better for citizens. They should be trying to improve everyone's quality of life.

Zero hour contracts. High rents. Long commutes. Decent childcare. There's tons of stuff we should all be concentrating on improving.

Statues are way down on my list of priorities. I'm too busy raising a family to be offended by a statue.

I think they talk about those issues as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Isn't there a nuanced middle ground? A statue of a**hole charging on a steed looking all 'victorious', sometimes with a plaque stating "the great so and so" and lauding their life, is quite different to "So and so was here, or may have been here" with a statue NOT of his image.

Yes, I agree, that some are way better off being removed from public location, but they are historical artefacts, and rewriting history isn't helpful, so documenting or preserving them for record is a different thing.

When it comes to a 'dubious' statue or monument that is not an image, why not amend the plaque, or put a QR code beside it with a factual neutral account of what they did and didn't do. We have a famine monument in many places not to glorify things but to make people aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think they talk about those issues as well.

Yeah, that's enough to be concentrating on. The statues aren't stopping people going about their business. Tell them to concentrate on things that will make life better for us all.

Unless the statues thing is just a publicity stunt.

Can we have a poll to see if people want statues removed?

Yeah, that's enough to be concentrating on. The statues aren't stopping people going about their business. Tell them to concentrate on things that will make life better for us all.

You want the issue relating to statues ignored by having a poll about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

You have all sorts of consequences when upheaval takes place. Looting is people just taking advantage, the marches here (I wasn't on them) shouldn't have happened due to current social restrictions in my view.

However it's far too easy to write it off as "liberal radical loons who have rich daddies" hijacking the world. Killing people cos they are black like that cop did is not acceptable and never was, but with this movement it will not be tolerated any longer.

Was watching 13th on netflix, shocking statistics re the numbers of the black population that end up in jail at some point in their lives. 1 in 3 it was. Also the jail system in the USA privatised so that it's in their interests to fill their jails with criminals and then they work for big corporations for feck all pay. Another form of slave labour. This isn't just about black people.

It applies in this country in different ways. You've got private health insurance that people on this site will argue tooth and nail in favour of (because perhaps they pay for it and don't want to be proven wrong). Private health insurance just causes divisions in the way we construct our health services and provide for the citizens.

We need to rework society to make it tick for all of us and stop creating divisions and pitting one group against another to make some feel better about themselves because others are suffering more than they do. It's the sort of nonsense that has lead to morons like Trump and Johnson getting elected. It's not new, Thatcher made a career for herself by causing division in the UK between the North and South of the UK.

It's time to wake up, to stop repeating history, to stop creating and reinforcing divisions between people that are manmade. Time to get Woke.

You realise Ireland is a progressive European country which is much different than the US?
    - Free healthcare
    - Free education - with essentially unlimited access to 3rd level
    - Full employment (until recently)
    - Business friendly - if you want to start a business, there's free courses and grants better than most any other country on the planet
    - 100 years without war
    - English speaking
    - Cheap flights
    - Liberal laws around marriage, abortion etc
    - Excellent entertainment sector, nightlife, gig's, theatre
    - Easily accessible great outdoors within a short few hours of any major urban environment
    - Engaging, sociable, approachable people with a sense of humour
    - Secular society which protects the right of people to practice
    - Healthy food, clean water

There's lots of things which don't work, like most any place... but explain to me what exactly is it that you are looking to tear-down and re-work?

• Advertisement

You want the issue relating to statues ignored by having a poll about it?

Yeah, go on, put a poll up and see what the support is like for the removal of statues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PBP should be concerned about making life better for citizens. They should be trying to improve everyone's quality of life.

Zero hour contracts. High rents. Long commutes. Decent childcare. There's tons of stuff we should all be concentrating on improving.

Statues are way down on my list of priorities. I'm too busy raising a family to be offended by a statue.

Ah come on now, whatever you think of PBP, they have been to the fore in highlighting the above issues and advocating solutions to theses issues. I doubt statues are very high on their list of priorities in fairness

Ah come on now, whatever you think of PBP, they have been to the fore in highlighting the above issues and advocating solutions to theses issues. I doubt statues are very high on their list of priorities in fairness

Yeah, I agree with you. Just don't know how statues have come to their attention all of a sudden.

Yeah, I agree with you. Just don't know how statues have come to their attention all of a sudden.

I think it was just the Galway branch that brought it up? In response to Bristol etc, probably juts one or two members and its grown legs. Personally its this kind of thing that that turns off actively supporting PBP and i would be someone favourably disposed to them on many issues

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

biko wrote: »
    I couldn't recall it so googled an image

This is it, and that's a bird on top.

Christopher-Columbus-Monument.jpg

Horrible looking thing - deserves to be thrown into the sea.

• Advertisement

You realise Ireland is a progressive European country which is much different than the US?
    - Free healthcare
    - Free education - with essentially unlimited access to 3rd level
    - Full employment (until recently)
    - Business friendly - if you want to start a business, there's free courses and grants better than most any other country on the planet
    - 100 years without war
    - English speaking
    - Cheap flights
    - Liberal laws around marriage, abortion etc
    - Excellent entertainment sector, nightlife, gig's, theatre
    - Easily accessible great outdoors within a short few hours of any major urban environment
    - Engaging, sociable, approachable people with a sense of humour
    - Secular society which protects the right of people to practice
    - Healthy food, clean water

There's lots of things which don't work, like most any place... but explain to me what exactly is it that you are looking to tear-down and re-work?

So you're saying because a lot of things are going well that we should stop looking for improvements in other areas? :pac:

You sound like the characters in The Life of Brian; "What have the Romans ever done for us...."

I think it was just the Galway branch that brought it up? In response to Bristol etc, probably juts one or two members and its grown legs. Personally its this kind of thing that that turns off actively supporting PBP and i would be someone favourably disposed to them on many issues

I couldn't agree more.

Stewball wrote: »
    Horrible looking thing - deserves to be thrown into the sea.

Looks heavy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/poll-should-galways-christopher-columbus-monument-be-removed/

There you go. 2 to 1 in favour of leaving as is.

Now all pile into a zero hours contract thread and see if we can feck that ****ty working condition into the sea.

Why would it turn you off voting for them? What's the harm in raising the issue and debating it? I think it's reasonable to raise issues around cultural racism as it feeds into society in unquantifiable ways. If nothing else it shines light on the issue of racism and debate ensues as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Are you talking about Columbus here? I think everything should be up for debate, everything.

We need to realign society and debate everything that has lead to the formation of society where racism is pervasive and so woven into the fabric of culture that we don't even recognise it. Obviously different countries have different degrees of racism but all countries have some form of institutionalised racism ingrained in their society.

They've taken Gone with the Wind off streaming sites in the US. John Ridley film director says it's a good idea to remove it temporarily to cause debate around it and around the issue of racism in general.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-06-08/hbo-max-racism-gone-with-the-wind-movie

Posters on this thread use the word "woke" like it's a bad thing or as an insult. It's time they woke up. The world is changing and they can either change with it or sit there moaning and whingeing and snowflaking about it.

When do native citizens actually get to have a say about the direction their country is going in?

Why is public iscusion about immigration into the western world not permitted?

What gives these lefty types permission to dictate?

Why would it turn you off voting for them? What's the harm in raising the issue and debating it? I think it's reasonable to raise issues around cultural racism as it feeds into society in unquantifiable ways. If nothing else it shines light on the issue of racism and debate ensues as a result.

No harm at all debating it, maybe im being unfair, but i often feel PBP reps arent interested in debate, just want their viewpoint rammed home, everything is black and white, pardon the pun, ive had a few disagreements with them on social media over various issues, eg calling for a protest at a pro life film in Galway comes to mind.

When do native citizens actually get to have a say about the direction their country is going in?

Why is public iscusion about immigration into the western world not permitted?

What gives these lefty types permission to dictate?

off you go, nobody's stopping you though why bring immigration up in this thread??

off you go, nobody's stopping you though why bring immigration up in this thread??

Nobodies stopping me? Think Grealish or Murphy and their comments about immigration. Where t by ey permitted to speak? The media and general public went to town on them. Taboo topic.

If people want to change the world for the better then the opinions of all need to be considered. Not one group dictating to everyone else

Pbp are irrelevant. Leave the statue and put barrett into the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nobodies stopping me? Think Grealish or Murphy and their comments about immigration. Where t by ey permitted to speak? The media and general public went to town on them. Taboo topic.

They were permitted to speak. Grealish's profile was never higher as a result. Please stop with the "they're not permitted to speak" - it's absolute nonsense.

People can challenge their assertions or decide that they don't want them on the ticket of their political party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

So you're saying because a lot of things are going well that we should stop looking for improvements in other areas? :pac:

You sound like the characters in The Life of Brian; "What have the Romans ever done for us...."

I don't think you understand the joke in the 'The Life of Brian' buddy.

Arghus wrote: »
    They were permitted to speak. Grealish's profile was never higher as a result. Please stop with the "they're not permitted to speak" - it's absolute nonsense.

People can challenge their assertions or decide that they don't want them on the ticket of their political party.

Higher because so many agreed with him. The media and members of the general public went to town on him.

No discussion, no debate. One view permitted

If people want to change the world for the better then the opinions of all need to be considered. Not one group dictating to everyone else

Pbp are irrelevant. Leave the statue and put barrett into the sea

Grealish and Murphy got voted in because they brought it up with the old dog whistle trick.

Murphy the sly dog brought it up and then apologised for it and then was thrown out of FG but got in as an Independent a few months later. She knew exactly what she was at, cos she knows there's a cohort out there that are racist.

Grealish another sly dog wasn't even accurate in his figures. He threw up a few figures in the Dail, got the attention he wanted and got votes for it from racists. Did you vote for him?

Grealish and Murphy got voted in because they brought it up with the old dog whistle trick.

Murphy the sly dog brought it up and then apologised for it and then was thrown out of FG but got in as an Independent a few months later. She knew exactly what she was at, cos she knows there's a cohort out there that are racist.

Grealish another sly dog wasn't even accurate in his figures. He threw up a few figures in the Dail, got the attention he wanted and got votes for it from racists. Did you vote for him?

Ah yes. Throw the auld racist card.
    You've proven my point

I don't think you understand the joke in the 'The Life of Brian' buddy.

I understand it perfectly. I'm not sure you do

Ah yes. Throw the auld racist card.
    You've proven my point

Ah yes indulge in the old dog whistle. You've proven my point.

Ah yes indulge in the old dog whistle. You've proven my point.

Reality is here

You are here

No harm at all debating it, maybe im being unfair, but i often feel PBP reps arent interested in debate, just want their viewpoint rammed home, everything is black and white, pardon the pun, ive had a few disagreements with them on social media over various issues, eg calling for a protest at a pro life film in Galway comes to mind.

I don't speak for them, I don't even vote for them but I don't see anything wrong in what they did when calling for debate around the Columbus statue in this instance. They called for it to be removed which caused debate is the point.

• Advertisement

Reality is here

You are here

Is there a point there or are you asking me to fill in the blanks for you?

Advertisement