Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PBP want to tear down stuff in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Every time I hear the phrase 'dog whistle' I cringe.

Every citizen has the right to have a say and have an input on a major issue like immigration. It's an issue that has profound effects on quality of life in the country, the provision of services, the ability of the state to plan, the direction of precious resources and of the meaning of citizenship generally.

It's an issue of such importance that we all deserve better than to have it shut down at every turn. There is a massive chilling effect around discussion of the ins and outs of immigration policy, and that's the way the left like it I'm afraid (I'm a former member of a broadly left party, and know this all too well. Touch on this issue in even the gentlest way and the knives come out pronto).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Yurt! wrote: »

Every citizen has the right to have a say and have an input on a major issue like immigration. It's an issue that has profound effects on quality of life in the country, the provision of services, the ability of the state to plan, the direction of precious resources and of the meaning of citizenship generally.

It's an issue of such importance that we all deserve better than to have it shut down at every turn. There is a massive chilling effect around discussion of the ins and outs of immigration policy, and that's the way the left like it I'm afraid (I'm a former member of a broadly left party, and know this all too well. Touch on this issue in even the gentlest way and the knives come out pronto).

Sorry that's not permitted. You aren't a racist are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Bullshít. There's no one stopping anyone debating issues like immigration so long as they are debated in a constructive and respectful manner. When Grealish though throws up a few inaccurate figures in the Dail, gets his attention and gets his votes as a result; that's classic dog whistling. It works and he knows it and that's why he does it.

So the term dog whistling is cringey now as well is it? The Right typically take these terms like dog whistling and demean the words to use them against those who use them to accurately describe the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The problem with ideologues like PBP is that they count anyone to right of Stalin to be the evil right-wing enemies they need to fuel their own warped politics.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Bullshít. There's no one stopping anyone debating issues like immigration so long as they are debated in a constructive and respectful manner. When Grealish though throws up a few inaccurate figures in the Dail, gets his attention and gets his votes as a result; that's classic dog whistling. It works and he knows it and that's why he does it.

So the term dog whistling is cringey now as well is it? The Right typically take these terms like dog whistling and demean the words to use them against those who use them to accurately describe the situation

Who exactly are you referring to as "the right"

• Advertisement

Bullshít. There's no one stopping anyone debating issues like immigration so long as they are debated in a constructive and respectful manner.

*ahem*

*ahem*

Only one side is expected to be respectful.

*ahem*

Is that you snowflaking because I'm telling it like it is? That's not disrespectful it being accurate.

The Right, or the populist Right to be more accurate would be represented by politicians like Trump or Johnson and in Ireland we've had one or two who've had success using divisive politics as well like Grealish, Murphy or that eejit that finished second in the Presidential election.

These politicians use the old dog whistle trick and get gullible idiots to vote for them who think that by being divisive that these politicians will look after them at the expense of others. In reality it doesn't work like that, the populist Right politicians are using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The Christopher Columbus monument is embarrassing anyway. He was in Galway for a minute and gets a monument? If they want an Irish explorer who actually did contribute to Ireland, put up a monument for Tom Crean.

When they wanted to put a up a monument for Che Guevara, it was stopped after concerns from an American businessman based in Miami. Were his concerns more important than these concerns? Probably because the reason for having the monument is to endear the city more to the American tourists. Why else would they put money into it.

My vote would be put the Columbus statue in the museum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Grealish and Murphy got voted in because they brought it up with the old dog whistle trick.

Murphy the sly dog brought it up and then apologised for it and then was thrown out of FG but got in as an Independent a few months later. She knew exactly what she was at, cos she knows there's a cohort out there that are racist.

Grealish another sly dog wasn't even accurate in his figures. He threw up a few figures in the Dail, got the attention he wanted and got votes for it from racists. Did you vote for him?

I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about with grealish.
    Grealish gets the votes as he's hugely popular around his area (and has been for years), he's the healy rae of the east side. Not because of his views but for what he does there.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Kewlings owners , Pat McDonagh or Larry Goodman better not have any statues put up of themselves or they’ll be pulled down as well over their minimum wage slave operations[/quote

Yeah two are animal murderers and the other a fruit murderer..Jesus wrpt

Triangle wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about with grealish.
    Grealish gets the votes as he's hugely popular around his area (and has been for years), he's the healy rae of the east side. Not because of his views but for what he does there.

I do know what I'm talking about re Grealish. He does get votes for the reasons you outlined and he also gets a few votes for the reasons I outlined some times from the same people other times from different people for different reasons. It's not an either or thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Higher because so many agreed with him. The media and members of the general public went to town on him.

No discussion, no debate. One view permitted

You are making no sense, of course there was debate and discussion, everyone knows Grealish's views because of it

The Right, or the populist Right to be more accurate would be represented by politicians like Trump or Johnson and in Ireland we've had one or two who've had success using divisive politics as well like Grealish, Murphy or that eejit that finished second in the Presidential election.

These politicians use the old dog whistle trick and get gullible idiots to vote for them who think that by being divisive that these politicians will look after them at the expense of others. In reality it doesn't work like that, the populist Right politicians are using them.

Is that all you see ? Everyone is on one or the otherside on everything
    You think there are only two types of people in the world who both have the same opposite opinion on everything and cant have their own differeant personal thoughts on life and politics.

Remember when I said reality is here

And you are here.
    Wise up

Is that all you see ? Everyone is on one or the otherside on everything
    You think there are only two types of people in the world who both have the same opposite opinion on everything and cant have their own differeant personal thoughts on life and politics.

Remember when I said reality is here

And you are here.
    Wise up

Remember when I said

:pac: Where did I say any of that in bold above?

Is that you snowflaking because I'm telling it like it is? That's not disrespectful it being accurate.

Oh right, telling it like it is. Right on.

You're way closer in thought and temperament to the populists you deride than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I hope there is none of the Donegal tunnel tigers reading this thread, the would want the London Underground closed after the slave labour that went into it while it was being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pbp are the po political equivalent of Opus Dei, maybe even a sub group of Opus Dei.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I do know what I'm talking about re Grealish. He does get votes for the reasons you outlined and he also gets a few votes for the reasons I outlined some times from the same people other times from different people for different reasons. It's not an either or thing.

Sorry, you stated in the first sentence that Grealish got in because of his remarks.
    He was always getting in, even without those remarks.
    That's why I said you didn't know about Grealish. I agree with with your updated view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And I suppose you aren't the type to refer to "the left" as a catch all group of all that don't agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The monument was presented to Galway by the City of Geneo which was his birthplace

Oh right, telling it like it is. Right on.

You're way closer in thought and temperament to the populists you deride than you think.

You're snowflaking cos I used the word bullshít, really :pac:

I was replying to you claiming that issues around immigration can not be discussed. You are wrong; they can be and are discussed so long as in a respectful and constructive manner. You saying otherwise is bullshít, simple as that.

When the debate is hijacked by chancers like Grealish throwing around inaccurate figures then he's simply using the issue to get attention and support from the gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/christopher-columbus-sculpture-at-spanish-arch-vandalized/
    A Spanish Arch sculpture representing Christopher Columbus’ visit to Galway in the 1400s has been vandalized.

Danzy wrote: »
    Pbp are the po political equivalent of Opus Dei, maybe even a sub group of Opus Dei.

Really? That's news to Opus Dei I'd imagine :pac:

biko wrote: »
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/christopher-columbus-sculpture-at-spanish-arch-vandalized/
    A Spanish Arch sculpture representing Christopher Columbus’ visit to Galway in the 1400s has been vandalized.

That doesn't help in any debate.

You're snowflaking cos I used the word bullshít, really :pac:

I was replying to you claiming that issues around immigration can not be discussed. You are wrong; they can be and are discussed so long as in a respectful and constructive manner. You saying otherwise is bullshít, simple as that.

When the debate is hijacked by chancers like Grealish throwing around inaccurate figures then he's simply using the issue to get attention and support from the gullible.

I'm sure you'd be the ideal person to have an even-tempered discussion about immigration policy with a different point of view without flying off the handle. Definitely.

You've been an ocean of calm in this thread with an open ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Really? That's news to Opus Dei I'd imagine :pac:

The mindset.

They have different religions but pbp are more religious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I'm sure you'd be the ideal person to have an even-tempered discussion about immigration policy with a different point of view without flying off the handle. Definitely.

Be careful, he is likely to engage in personal abuse.

• Advertisement

The irony of that comment coming from the likes of you.

Advertisement