Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed killer that won't harm shrubs

Options
  • 09-06-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi All

Is there a weed killer that I can use and spray freely that will kill off weeds and wild grass with out harming shrubs and hedging? I have young red robin planted in three 100 meter lengths that have become overgrown with weeds and wild grass from adjoining fields. I have permission from the farmer(my brother in-law) to spray the weeds on the field side of our fence also.

I have weeded these by hand twice this year and I just don't have the time to keep this up, I had tried using roundup last year but even being careful parts of the hedging was affected and I would like to have an easier and quicker solution.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

https://academic.oup.com/forestry/article/79/5/599/557124

I don't know whether any of these e.g. Laser (cycloxydim) are available retail.

Or you could try applying Roundup with a paint roller to prevent overspray.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

mulch about the base to keep down weeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

homer1982 wrote: »
    Hi All

Is there a weed killer that I can use and spray freely that will kill off weeds and wild grass with out harming shrubs and hedging? I have young red robin planted in three 100 meter lengths that have become overgrown with weeds and wild grass from adjoining fields. I have permission from the farmer(my brother in-law) to spray the weeds on the field side of our fence also.

I have weeded these by hand twice this year and I just don't have the time to keep this up, I had tried using roundup last year but even being careful parts of the hedging was affected and I would like to have an easier and quicker solution.

Thanks

What concentration are you using? I've been using the likes of Roundup for years to control weeds around shrubs, including Photinia, without any problem. I use a concentration of about 200ml of weedkiller to 15 litres of water.

Advertisement