Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to prune baby oak tree?

Options
  • 09-06-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an Italian Oak, grown from an acorn. Its two years old and now has a proper branch which I'm wondering should I cut off.

See picture - the tree is 75cm and the branch is at 40cm. Maybe a dumb question but I know nothing about this stuff - If I leave it, will it always be 40cm from the ground?

Also - all the other side shoots - should I cut them off too and just leave the main growing bud at the top?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Personally I would clear the lower 1/3 of the stem plus that shoot taking off to the left which will destroy the visual balance of the Tree in the future

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the main thing i'd focus on why you need the stake, a seedling shouldn't really need one and will possibly make the trunk weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There appears to be another branch heading off to the back of the tree, just above the one under discussion. I would leave it for the moment and just let it grow for a couple of seasons, then plant it out (which is when it will need a stake for a season or two till the roots anchor) and then look at the shape and see if it needs pruning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I have lots and lots and lots of acorn-grown oaks and don't prune them at all till they get to about 1.5-2m tall, and then that's only if I really want a particular shape, or (more commonly) a really straight trunk.

And, as magicbastarder says, staking can have negative consequences for the strength of the stem/trunk: being buffeted by the wind while still small helps the tree "toughen up" and better support stronger gusts when it's older/taller. The current thinking for taller saplings is that they should only be staked to about 50-75cm above the soil level - just enough to keep the rootball stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an Italian Oak, grown from an acorn. Its two years old and now has a proper branch which I'm wondering should I cut off.

See picture - the tree is 75cm and the branch is at 40cm. Maybe a dumb question but I know nothing about this stuff - If I leave it, will it always be 40cm from the ground?

Also - all the other side shoots - should I cut them off too and just leave the main growing bud at the top?

Thanks.

To actually answer your question (and it's not dumb), yes it will always be 40cm from the ground. If you want to end up with a standard tree with a clear trunk then you should remove all the side shoots until the leader reaches your desired (ie. a clear trunk height).
    And the cane is absolutely fine to use to tie in the leader to keep it straight, that is completely normal as is evidenced by canes attached to any half standard tree for sale in any nursery.
    The staking as opposed to training occurs after planting in open ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement