Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosepipe ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

with a watering can..

Im in the same boat, .5 acres of new grass just starting to grow and hundreds spent on flower beds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What if you don't bathe and just use the water you save from that, is it still allowed? What if you stand in the garden as somebody is watering it and that's your shower? I'm determined to find a workaround somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭albernazj93

I will go have a shower in the garden :D Walking around and washing myself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

s1ippy wrote: »
    What if you don't bathe and just use the water you save from that, is it still allowed? What if you stand in the garden as somebody is watering it and that's your shower? I'm determined to find a workaround somehow.

Or you can stop flushing unless strictly necessary ("If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down"). :D

Seriously, though, I'm saving all the cold water I get when I'm waiting for the hot water to arrive to the tap. It adds up to quite a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm likewise saving waste water from washing up, peeling veg, running the hot tap etc but the mechanics of ferrying it to all parts of the garden is a pain in the proverbial.

Any use of a hose is banned but you can fill as many buckets as you like and water in a much less efficient manner. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oh yes, the water from washing the veggies and from food preparation, too. If you're really stuck, defrost the freezer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm likewise saving waste water from washing up, peeling veg, running the hot tap etc but the mechanics of ferrying it to all parts of the garden is a pain in the proverbial.

Any use of a hose is banned but you can fill as many buckets as you like and water in a much less efficient manner. :rolleyes:

People use less water when they have to walk back and forth with buckets than when they can use a hose.

People use less water when they have to walk back and forth with buckets than when they can use a hose.

I'd debate that, having watched somebody today filling buckets none stop. I'd water an area with less water by hose, than throwing buckets of water over it.

The car will be washed with a fraction of the water if I had a hose connected to a pressure washer as opposed to using buckets.

If somewhere really needs watering I'll carry as many buckets as I need to to save the planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Connect a hose to your watering can..

Connect a hose to your watering can..

Believe it or not that's prohibited in the letter of the law. It's the use of a hosepipe that's restricted. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

s1ippy wrote: »
    What if you don't bathe and just use the water you save from that, is it still allowed?
    try asking the inspector (there won't be one) to smell you as proof. i suspect it wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The best part of it all, its illegal to fill a swimpool with a hose, but you can fill it with buckets from the same tap no problem at all. :pac::rolleyes:

Who writes this sh!te
    PROHIBITED USE
    Use of water drawn through a hosepipe or
    similar apparatus for the purpose of –

iv. filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool
    (except when using hand held containers filled directly
    from a tap)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yep saving 'greywater' here.... just wish could divert washing machine outflow. I leave a basin in shower cubicle, surprised at how much collects. Only special plants getting watered, should organise a rota!

Should we receive a letter at home or we are all expected to read the news?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're expected to read the news.

Or to listen to them, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I will be keeping an eye on my neighbors to make sure they follow the rules. I can oversee six and a half back gardens and mark my words if I see one hose pipe in use I will be straight onto Irish water. #hosepipeban

Tonight I will water my garden enough for the next 20 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I've been collecting grey water from the kitchen for the last month as the rain butts on garage and green house have been empty since early May. I add a few litres of "fresh" water from the tap to the butts every morning just to dilute the grey water a bit.

I use a basic dirty water pump to water the back garden. I use watering cans for the front garden, but fill them with pumped water via the hose.
    Water pressure from the pump is low so it's easy to control how much each plant gets.
    I always water direct to the base of plants and I suspect that I use less water with the hose. I've ordered a flow meter to test out my theory :).

I've done the same for the last few hose bans that I can remember and I've never had any visits from Irish Water etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Tonight I will water my garden enough for the next 20 days :D

Have you no sense of shame. Why can’t you follow the rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Get a water butt or two and start collecting rain water to water your garden. There is really no need to use treated water for this purpose.

you're expected to read the news.
    New Home wrote: »
    Or to listen to them, anyway.

Got it! I just heard about it today (the day before it starts). I'm wondering if they have been warning people about it for some time?

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Have you no sense of shame. Why can’t you follow the rules?

Some of us are having just a bit of fun in here, can't you see that? :D

artworks-000488684700-jgec3b-t500x500.jpg

Got it! I just heard about it today (the day before it starts). I'm wondering if they have been warning people about it for some time?

Yes, for the past week or so. And anyway, it was only a matter of time before they announced, with the weather we've been having these past few months.

miezekatze wrote: »
    Get a water butt or two and start collecting rain water to water your garden. There is really no need to use treated water for this purpose.

Yes, I had seen in Lidl or Aldi A water butt you can collect a good amount of water.

Edit: https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/great-gardens/100l-water-butt-kit/p43334

Not sure if we can use the washing machine water to water the garden/plants... that would be a good option too

New Home wrote: »
    Yes, for the past week or so. And anyway, it was only a matter of time before they announced, with the weather we've been having these past few months.

Yea, it hasn't been raining at all.

The forecast shows raining days till Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Yes, I had seen in Lidl or Aldi A water butt you can collect a good amount of water.

Not sure if we can use the washing machine water to water the garden/plants... that would be a good option too

Any DIY shop sells them too at pretty much the same price. I very rarely need to use tap water for the garden, and I grow veg etc too. Have 2 water butts.

Edit: https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/great-gardens/100l-water-butt-kit/p43334

I guess it'd depend on the type of detergent you use - fabric conditioner would probably be a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

A hosepipe ban in Ireland(Is this a joke?)probably the wettest country in Europe and plenty of rain forecast in the next few days,I,m in the south east of England with very low amounts of rainfall year after year,i cant remember the last time we had a hosepipe ban,

• Advertisement

You might have better water treatment facilities than we do here. Keep in mind that in some areas there's been a boil water notice in place for over 2 years. That's the whole point - they don't mind if you use water from a river or a stream or a lake, not at the moment, anyway. It's the treated water supply that's the issue.

Advertisement