Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosepipe ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Any use of a hose is banned but you can fill as many buckets as you like and water in a much less efficient manner. :rolleyes:

Pretty much every washing machine is supplied by a hose.

Looks like I won't be able to wash any clothes for the foreseeable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Tonight I will water my garden enough for the next 20 days :D

Rain forecast over the coming days,so no need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tonight I will water my garden enough for the next 20 days :D

Too late, you should have done so last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

0.4mm forecast for here, so not much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭albernazj93

Yeah. I was joking :D

I think this is the first time I'm saying this: I hope it rains!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm likewise saving waste water from washing up, peeling veg, running the hot tap etc but the mechanics of ferrying it to all parts of the garden is a pain in the proverbial.

Any use of a hose is banned but you can fill as many buckets as you like and water in a much less efficient manner. :rolleyes:
    Unless you're watering grass, your better off pouring lots of water onto and under the roots of flowers and veg every 4/5 days. It encourages deep roots. Sprinkling every other day does the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

We have our own well so the ban wouldnt be applicable if we chose to use a hose. I collect grey water every summer however, drought or not. Showers, baths, washing up etc all diverted to a 100litre container. It's filled and emptied twice a day. Flower beds are blooming and healthy. The poor grass though is letting it down badly, scorched to hell, too much of hat to water unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's ok, it's June.

It'll probably rain every second day from now til Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dom40 wrote: »
    A hosepipe ban in Ireland(Is this a joke?)probably the wettest country in Europe and plenty of rain forecast in the next few days,I,m in the south east of England with very low amounts of rainfall year after year,i cant remember the last time we had a hosepipe ban,

it's been the driest spring on record in the East - that's 170 years of records.

fortunately for those of you worried about your lawn, it's going to be a fairly wet week. But it will take a fairly sustained spell of wet weather to refill the reservoirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

2 hosepipe bans since Irish water came along.. Great way to justify water charges..

Grabs tinfoil hat!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

We don't have water charges any mores, which perhaps goes to explain why we have housepipe bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

dom40 wrote:
    A hosepipe ban in Ireland(Is this a joke?)probably the wettest country in Europe and plenty of rain forecast in the next few days,I,m in the south east of England with very low amounts of rainfall year after year,i cant remember the last time we had a hosepipe ban,

I think you'll find that you're well off the mark there Dom. Compare the Dublin region for avg. Annual rainfall vs. numerous large European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

no.8 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that you're well off the mark there Dom. Compare the Dublin region for avg. Annual rainfall vs. numerous large European cities.

its leeward of the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, similar to Seattle

the plan to bring water from the Shannon is dumb.

garv123 wrote: »
    2 hosepipe bans since Irish water came along.. Great way to justify water charges..

Grabs tinfoil hat!!

Have to say, I'm no conspiracy theorist but I was thinking the same. I reckon we'll have a few more of these bans over the coming years, then we'll get the "look, we can't be cutting the water off every summer, we need some cash to work on the system" and bang, you're straight back into water charges, but the bans will disappear so people will feel like they see a difference.

(and I'm someone who doesn't really mind the idea of a water charge, but the rates they were considering charging before were ludicrous).

Have to say, I'm no conspiracy theorist but I was thinking the same. I reckon we'll have a few more of these bans over the coming years, then we'll get the "look, we can't be cutting the water off every summer, we need some cash to work on the system" and bang, you're straight back into water charges, but the bans will disappear so people will feel like they see a difference.

(and I'm someone who doesn't really mind the idea of a water charge, but the rates they were considering charging before were ludicrous).

do you think the driest spring in 170 years is a conspiracy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was supposed to be a very wet day today, but here (dublin 9) we've barely had a spit. seems the weather system circled around dublin and just tickled it slightly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

loyatemu wrote: »
    you beat me to it. irish water arranged one of the driest spells in living memory in 2018 in order to make themselves look more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

garv123 wrote: »

Grabs tinfoil hat!!

There were plenty of droughts before but they were never publicised. Add to that the growing population and increase in water consumption and you’re going to hit trouble with the weather we’re getting these days.

I had a look and it seems to be mainly groundwater supplies that are impacted. We’re just not getting the rain to recharge the aquifers. Anyone with a well in 2018 knew about them running dry.

As for no hosepipe band in England; every bloody summer. I lived there and it was just par for the course. They also don’t flush toilets at night in some areas to conserve water all year round. The SE relies on groundwater which is always hard hit.

was supposed to be a very wet day today, but here (dublin 9) we've barely had a spit. seems the weather system circled around dublin and just tickled it slightly.

it was raining most of the day in Wicklow so some good news for the reservoirs (apparently we'll need a really crappy summer to get the levels back up, I think I'd rather have the hose ban).

loyatemu wrote: »

I remember long dry summers growing up and in my teens (Im 32). I don't remember many hose bans, though.

• Advertisement

It's coming down heavy in Drogheda the last 45 minutes or so, and has been on/off all evening.

looks like there's another band of rain bearing down on us which could give us a couple of hours of moderate rain. here's hoping.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I remember long dry summers growing up and in my teens (Im 32). I don't remember many hose bans, though.

Probably not as long as this hot, dry spell, and I'd guess you probably weren't in charge of watering the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

dom40 wrote: »

And how much do you pay each year?

Here people want it for nothing, therefore no infrastructure investment, and water shortages.

nothing like 2018 though, in your lifetime.
    i was born in 1976; i think there was no summer between 76 and 2018 as warm dry as either of those two years. i'll see if i can confirm this.

it must have been great fun for my mother, trying to keep a baby happy in that heat.

Darc19 wrote: »
    And how much do you pay each year?

Here people want it for nothing, therefore no infrastructure investment, and water shortages.

As someone who doesn't mind paying for water (in theory, anyway), I can understand why people don't want to sign up to pay for it in general.

Money in this country seems to get sucked into a black hole, and a lot of working people feel hard done by when those who won't work get so much done for them for free.

Look at Local Property Tax for example. Everyone's paying it (that owns a house), and it's supposed to be going to the Local Councils, but again, it's disappearing into a black hole and no one is really actually seeing any benefit from it. People would be more inclined to sign up to these fees if they seen a benefit from them.

Which is why I do actually think that some of these water shortages are exaggerated for dramatic effect to try and get people on board with water charges down the line. As I say, I'm no conspiracy theorist, and I am aware the weather is dry and warm, but I do think the water situation is exaggerated (not completely made up, just dramatised).

nothing like 2018 though, in your lifetime.
    i was born in 1976; i think there was no summer between 76 and 2018 as warm dry as either of those two years. i'll see if i can confirm this.

it must have been great fun for my mother, trying to keep a baby happy in that heat.
    1995. And a month in 2006. That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Watering cans is the answer. It just takes way longer and is supposed to discourage the lazy.

It does bother me a bit seeing a hose ban for the whole country when it's only the east with a shortage to be honest. Dublin rules I suppose. At least they're not draining the Shannon for themselves.

Not a drop of rain for twom months straight and only a couple of light showers (and a lot of very drying wind) where I am, too, and I'm about 3 hrs away from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

New Home wrote: »
    Not a drop of rain for twom months straight and only a couple of light showers (and a lot of very drying wind) where I am, too, and I'm about 3 hrs away from Dublin.

Pissing rain in Waterford

Advertisement