Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meter box damage

Options
  • 09-06-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

ive had my meter cabinet door smashed twice this year, how safe is my house is the meter is damaged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

sinnbox wrote: »
    ive had my meter cabinet door smashed twice this year, how safe is my house is the meter is damaged?

Are you talking about vandalism? Is the meter actually damaged or is this a hypothetical question?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sinnbox

Are you talking about vandalism? Is the meter actually damaged or is this a hypothetical question?

its a hypothetical currently i just dont want to come home one evening and find the house burned to the ground or some lad dead at the back door because someone took a hatchet tk the door and hit a cable or the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A fire would be unlikely, electrical fires are caused by heating of bad connections etc.

Potentially there could be a fairly decent arc flash if someone chopped through the cables that would cause localised damage (within the cabinet) and to anything or anyone in front of the cabinet.

If the hatchet handle was wet (dry wood probably wouldn't conduct) then a possibility of death worthy of a Darwin Award.
    If you do find someone dead/dying don't touch them unless the power is off, find an something that is an insulator (e.g. dry plank of wood) to push them away from the cabinet.

(But in real life anything can happen depending on the actual conditions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

I recall a fire spreading throughout the thermal insulation in a house

About 25 years ago and they clamped down on holes in the meter cabinets and cables had to enter the bottom of cabinet after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

sinnbox wrote: »
    its a hypothetical currently i just dont want to come home one evening and find the house burned to the ground or some lad dead at the back door because someone took a hatchet tk the door and hit a cable or the meter.
    I think you have bigger problems if this is likely to happen to your home.

• Advertisement

Cerco wrote: »
    I think you have bigger problems if this is likely to happen to your home.

why? its not my fault some tosser who thinks this is an appropriate way to have a conversation gets himself blown up in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭hesker

Watch out for rodent entry. Had cabinet door pulled off the hinges once. Not long after I had mice problems. There was a hole at the bottom of the cabinet that allowed entry to the wall cavity. Couple that with joist penetrations that aren’t sealed and the mice have a field day.

hesker wrote: »
    Watch out for rodent entry. Had cabinet door pulled off the hinges once. Not long after I had mice problems. There was a hole at the bottom of the cabinet that allowed entry to the wall cavity. Couple that with joist penetrations that aren’t sealed and the mice have a field day.

Best plug any gaps alright

Once upon a time they used to bash holes in the boxes but that all changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Chicoso wrote: »
    Best plug any gaps alright

Once upon a time they used to bash holes in the boxes but that all changed

Did it myself 20 years ago. When you think back on it!!

Did it myself 20 years ago. When you think back on it!!

Wasn't great

I remember the inspector telling me about the fire

Esbn clamped down then , I got refused a new connection for bringing a wire down the top of the box

• Advertisement

hesker wrote: »

Great something else to be looking out for, i swear one more thing, incident or accident im sticking a for sale sign up and getting out, couldn't put up with another few years of this ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A fire would be unlikely, electrical fires are caused by heating of bad connections etc.
    Although if it is being subjected to extreme vibrations and blunt force then this could very well induce loose connections. Although I agree that there is a strong possibility that exposed live parts through damage to equipment would manifest itself first.

Advertisement