Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siro/OpenEir connection

Options
  • 09-06-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all,

So the short story is I live a relatively new development in North Dublin and while most of the estate has been passed for Siro and OpenEir, my road and maybe two others were ignored because "the houses weren't built when the plans were drawn up" and they have now left the area.

With no phone line installed I'm currently stuck with an extremely spotty VM as my only option or mobile broadband which isn't quite enough for two WFH and trying to entertain two kids.

Any advice on possibly contacting someone to speed things up or other options? Thanks a million.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

What's wrong with the VM connection? they have very good broadband in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

I've been with Virgin for years and never had issues but I've found since just after I moved into the new house that the connection has steadily deteriorated. I'm on the 500Mb line and I'm lucky if I get half of that on a good day now. I get constant dropouts, disconnecting both myself and my partner from our work servers and even after following recommendations of upgrading all my network equipment (both personal and a new VM router) nothing seems to work.

Virgin insist there is no fault which has left me a bit peeved at paying close to €70 a month for a very intermittent service, especially when there is connections available in my area for double the speed and at half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Check out https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail and see what services are available.

You should check the NBI website here if you dont have FTTH to make sure you are part of their rollout https://nbi.ie/

joe123 wrote: »
    Check out and see what services are available.

You should check the NBI website here if you dont have FTTH to make sure you are part of their rollout

Thanks a million for this!

I had a look, Airwire says VDSL only at my address and the NBI site says not an intervention area. I've also checked with a couple of providers and my address isn't listed at all.

So unless Siro or OpenEir pass the two streets I guess I'm stuck with Virgin as my only option for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

allanroche wrote: »
    Thanks a million for this!

I had a look, Airwire says VDSL only at my address and the NBI site says not an intervention area. I've also checked with a couple of providers and my address isn't listed at all.

So unless Siro or OpenEir pass the two streets I guess I'm stuck with Virgin as my only option for now.

No problem. Yeah as you can technically get proper speeds through VM I suppose you wouldnt be included in the intervention rollout via NBI. Not sure what that means though in terms of future FTTH roll out for you.

Best bet is to get back on to VM and get them to sort what's causing your connection issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

allanroche wrote: »
    Hi all,

So the short story is I live a relatively new development in North Dublin and while most of the estate has been passed for Siro and OpenEir, my road and maybe two others were ignored because "the houses weren't built when the plans were drawn up" and they have now left the area.

With no phone line installed I'm currently stuck with an extremely spotty VM as my only option or mobile broadband which isn't quite enough for two WFH and trying to entertain two kids.

Any advice on possibly contacting someone to speed things up or other options? Thanks a million.

Hi Alan did you get any update on this? I’m in a similar situation

scabo33 wrote: »
    Hi Alan did you get any update on this? I’m in a similar situation

Hi Scabo, no unfortunately not. I spoke to people through SIRO's Twitter and they have said that my street (and one other) had not been passed but were on a list to be completed at a later date. They couldn't give me a later date and just said to sign up for their list to wait for notification.

The answer from Eir/OpenEir was effectively "we're working on it" and that was it.

I don't have a phone line in my house so I'm left with just my broken VM at the moment. Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

Advertisement