Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer insisting on paying 18 y/o under min. wage

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

Dav010 wrote: »
    Any company paying at or above minimum wage is acting legally, there can be no reason to blacklisting. Slave labour implies that the employee is being forced to work for low wages, this is not the case. Hyperbole like this undermines the point you are trying, badly, to make.

There's very good reasons for blacklisting them. They are offering peanuts to work for them. It shouldn't be accepted. The op is getting comments such as welcome to the real world, time to become an adult etc. and then he's expected to accept wages that are below minimum wage. How can we expect him to become an adult when he's not being paid adult wages?

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    That's what they want to pay. If you don't want it, feck off. Someone else will take it and be damn glad to have it.

We should be telling these scrupulous companies to **** off. They want someone to work for them, pay a fair wage. How about we stand up for our young people for once and put them above some multi million euro company?

Deub wrote: »
    You promote the type of companies that pushes suppliers to do exactly what you are complaining about.

You might want to read back, you are mistaken. Hugely mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,467 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They would be breaking the law by paying below minimum wage in that case.

Which is both unfair and illegal.

So let’s trample both into the ditch and advocate fair pay for ALL.

we have rightly equal pay for women and men..equal employment rights for woman and men, equal employment rights too for people with disabilities.

Equal minimum wage for an 18 year old and a 21 year old is right, fair, appropriate and should be the standard norm.

A company of course should be able to pay Tim , fine he is 21 years old... 26,000 to give kids golf lessons.. Noel who is 18, ok 23,000... less experienced but no way should the minimum wage be different... that just stinks to the ends of the earth...love to see the legality challenged as relates to this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

These types of threads amuse me. OP take the job and keep applying for other jobs while working there. Something else will pop up in the mean time.

FFS the sense of entitlement from some people is actually astonishing.

More money doesn't magically land on your lap without experience.

Regards hotel work don't fret over that. I'd rather shovel cow ****e with my bare hands all days than work in a hotel.
    It's probably the worst work environment you can be in for minimum wage. Its horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 starrygleam11

lickalot wrote: »
    These types of threads amuse me. OP take the job and keep applying for other jobs while working there. Something else will pop up in the mean time.

10 euro an hour is not a sense of entitlement .
    Do u not understand this is not about him wanting god knows what.
    Many 18 year olds are on the normal 10 euro min wage.
    this is dealz who are profiting millions a year and trying to give him 8 euro an hour.

Beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

callmehal wrote: »
    We should be telling these scrupulous companies to **** off. They want someone to work for them, pay a fair wage. How about we stand up for our young people for once and put them above some multi million euro company?

Nothing stopping the op from telling them to **** off, but I don’t share your optimism that he will get any other job above minimum wage without experience or qualifications. Neither the op nor you are owed a good wage.
    callmehal wrote: »
    There's very good reasons for blacklisting them

On what list would they be “blacklisted”, considering they are acting legally?

this is dealz who are profiting millions a year and trying to give him 8 euro an hour.

Beyond a joke.

The op has applied for other jobs, got no replies, why do you think the op is owed more than the rate offered? To be honest, I think people would be surprised if shops like Dealz or Eurosavers paid more than minimum wage, naming and shaming them is just free advertisement.

Beyond a joke.

Take the job and then start applying for other jobs.

Its easier to get a job once employed and you have to start somewhere.

The op has applied for other jobs, got no replies, why do you think the op is owed more than the rate offered? To be honest, I think people would be surprised if shops like Dealz or Eurosavers paid more than minimum wage.

Aldi and Lidl are doing it so could they

• Advertisement

Are you really comparing a multinational company like LIDIL which has a yearly revenue of 90 billion to dealz and employs 315000 globally.

Are you really comparing a multinational company like LIDIL which has a yearly revenue of 90 billion to dealz?

Yes becouse we are not talking about paying someone 50 grand a year we are only talking about minimum wage 10.10 isn't a lot to pay someone

Yes becouse we are not talking about paying someone 50 grand a year we are only talking about minimum wage 10.10 isn't a lot to pay someone

why would they if they don't have to? Fair play to Lidil etc. doing it but the law doesn't require it.

Wow. A global company with yearly revenue just shy of 100 billion. You literally could not have used a worse example to make your point.

Can the op not apply to Aldi and Lidl?

Regards hotel work don't fret over that. I'd rather shovel cow ****e with my bare hands all days than work in a hotel.
    It's probably the worst work environment you can be in for minimum wage. Its horrendous.

It’s a sense of entitlement, correct. I believe that EVERYONE in this state, male, female, young, old, able bodied, with a disability, experienced, inexperienced, religious, agnostic... ALL of us are ENTITLED to a ‘minimum’ rate of pay, the same minimum, across the board, regardless of age or experience... without any asterisk beside it to enable any twister employer from skulking away from their legal obligations...

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a sense of entitlement, correct. I believe that EVERYONE in this state, male, female, young, old, able bodied, with a disability, experienced, inexperienced, religious, agnostic... ALL of us are ENTITLED to a ‘minimum’ rate of pay, the same minimum, across the board, regardless of age or experience... without any asterisk beside it to enable any twister employer from skulking away from their legal obligations...

There 18, hopefully the crap money will entice them to get better qualified.

There 18, hopefully the crap money will entice them to get better qualified.

You don’t motivate people by treating them unfairly and disproportionately. Age is a statistic, it shouldn’t be used against you.

Qualifications don’t come into it, the law is enabling people of different ages to be treated differently, rewarded differently, for doing the same job with the same requirements and responsibilities. Unsatisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

And in a similar pattern as before - the OP has deleted their original post after being told they're in the wrong. Hopefully not needing more counselling after a firm wake up call

Strumms wrote: »
    You don’t motivate people by treating them unfairly and disproportionately. Age is a statistic, it shouldn’t be used against you.

Qualifications don’t come into it, the law is enabling people of different ages to be treated differently, rewarded differently, for doing the same job with the same requirements and responsibilities. Unsatisfactory.

Sometimes you do. Working for minimum wage and being treated like **** on a shoe certainly motivated my ass into education and more sensible career choices. It also thought me manners and empathy as a nice side effect.

I realise college isn't for everyone but youngsters leaving school and taking a job for a beer money need to realise that it's not a good long term career choice and will have repercussions in the future.

Otherwise in years to come they end up like addaworld. Sitting on boards giving out about what everyone else has.

mark2912 wrote: »
    So it appears that while they aren't breaking the law, but it still isn't good enough.

€8.39/hour, min 12 hours/ week contract, paid monthly - do the maths:
    8.39x12= 100.68
    100.68*4= €402.72 per month

How can anybody live on that a month? Most people earn that in a week, never mind a month

Most people also work 40 hours a week, not a month so the rate isn't really as bad as it looks. That's reality though when you are young with no experience and only a basic education by today's standards.

If you are an attitude of "well I get more in the dole" then you will never advance beyond dole money. Get an education and / or experience and better jobs with better money will become available.

There's also the public sector. Watch publicjobs.ie and see what comes up that you fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This has to be a wind up.

Most people also work 40 hours a week, not a month so the rate isn't really as bad as it looks. That's reality though when you are young with no experience and only a basic education by today's standards.

If you are an attitude of "well I get more in the dole" then you will never advance beyond dole money. Get an education and / or experience and better jobs with better money will become available.

There's also the public sector. Watch publicjobs.ie and see what comes up that you fancy.
    Zero chance of getting into the Public sector nowadays with some of the traits I've seen displayed in this thread. Assuming it's legit.

Sometimes you do. Working for minimum wage and being treated like **** on a shoe certainly motivated my ass into education and more sensible career choices. It also thought me manners and empathy as a nice side effect.

I realise college isn't for everyone but youngsters leaving school and taking a job for a beer money need to realise that it's not a good long term career choice and will have repercussions in the future.

Otherwise in years to come they end up like addaworld. Sitting on boards giving out about what everyone else has.

Exactly. We all did those types of jobs and often worse. My first actual job was working in a bar. I was 14. 70 pounds a week for roughly 90 hours a week......it was a summer/weekends/holidays job and I did it for 3 years with slightly increasing pay. Think I might have finished up on 100 pounds a week for 90 odd hours.
    The lifeskills and general skills I learned in that job stand to me today.
    Worked in a nightclub for a couple of years after that and a couple more bars to get through college.
    Taught me a tonne of things and as you've said motivated me to work hard and get in with it
    I have to say I was always treated well outside of the pay. The money improved as the years went on but eventually once I was able to build my CV up and get educated I never had to return to those types of jobs.
    Those were the days 14 to 17 living at home, no major expenses, meeting lots of people, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,921 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are you really comparing a multinational company like LIDIL which has a yearly revenue of 90 billion to dealz and employs 315000 globally.
    Errr dealz are owned by Steinhoff.....their revenue is over 13 billion and they employ 130k plus people...they are not some tiny family owned cornershop...so comparison to LIDL isn't totally outrageous...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinhoff_International

kippy wrote: »
    Zero chance of getting into the Public sector nowadays with some of the traits I've seen displayed in this thread. Assuming it's legit.

It will come around again though, usually does.

Probable be a while for dfb again but Gardai and clerical will come up again soon enough.

Nothing wrong with someone taking the crappy job and getting a bit of life experience under the belt first anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

This has to be a wind up.

I agree. The two accounts equating slave labour to 4% above minimum wage have only registered in the past 20 days, whereas the OP has disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Exactly. We all did those types of jobs and often worse. My first actual job was working in a bar. I was 14. 70 pounds a week for roughly 90 hours a week......it was a summer/weekends/holidays job and I did it for 3 years with slightly increasing pay. Think I might have finished up on 100 pounds a week for 90 odd hours.
    The lifeskills and general skills I learned in that job stand to me today.
    Worked in a nightclub for a couple of years after that and a couple more bars to get through college.
    Taught me a tonne of things and as you've said motivated me to work hard and get in with it
    I have to say I was always treated well outside of the pay. The money improved as the years went on but eventually once I was able to build my CV up and get educated I never had to return to those types of jobs.
    Those were the days 14 to 17 living at home, no major expenses, meeting lots of people, good times.

Very true post, every one has to start work some where and learn life skills and grow up, started at 11 picking fruit for pence per punnets and worked at everything that gave some money since and had great craic along the way and built a cv with education and learned how to be a worker and get work.
    Now a days everybody should have a good education level as norm, the quality of schools and teaching methods are so far a head of my time in school when getting a leaving cert or apprenticeship was the goal. The amount of young people with a part time job now is huge and working through education. At 18 if you can’t get a job there is only one person to question and ask what can be done to improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It's quite mad that so many people here hate blacks travellers, women, transsexuals, children and think that certain people's time is worth a measly €8ph and they should suck it up.

What hilariously sad lives!

If the OP has the option of going on social welfare, it seems like a good idea so that they can evaluate their plans for the future. Upskilling and training will be a better plan than degrading yourself with menial work in which your time will clearly be worth a pittance.

Good for you for having enough self-worth to question it, maturity beyond your years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Can you go on the dole while studying full-time in college?

I don't think you can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

shocksy wrote: »
    They're talking through their hole with that statement. It doesn't matter what country their company is from. If they operate in Ireland they have to operate under Irish laws.

However, the hourly rate being offered is above the minimum rate for someone of your age. So, there's nothing you can do about that unless you can find an employer who will pay you at the higher end of the minimum wage pay scale.

That is a typical British attitude, thinking that their way of doing things supercedes everything else.

Advertisement