Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer insisting on paying 18 y/o under min. wage

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

thefa wrote: »
    Glad you got a better offer Mark and hope it works out. Just on the above, I can understand the logic in part but would begin to question the plan. Just a couple things to consider;

-if the 3-month contract (July-Sept?) doesn't work out or you don't like the job, would you have been better off commencing the course?

-do you really want to go down the route of that course given you're willing to put it aside for a year plus for a job in Dunnes so you can work full time and save more money? It doesn't seem like you're on the breadline since the plan previously was to begin the course in September.

I was told at the interview that the 3 month contracts are likely to be renewed (providing you're up to standard of course), and I wouldn't mind taking a gap year. As I came from a QQI course I'll receive a CAO offer either late July or early August, which I can defer. At least that will let me save a good bit (I'm not eligible for SUSI). I could always go part-time as well next year, they're saying they want flexible people now, and this could be the only chance of a job I could have so I don't want availability being a barrier. If I do choose to go part-time next year, they wouldn't be able to let me go. As my probation would be up and as such, it would be deemed unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

mark2912 wrote: »
    I was told at the interview that the 3 month contracts are likely to be renewed (providing you're up to standard of course), and I wouldn't mind taking a gap year. As I came from a QQI course I'll receive a CAO offer either late July or early August, which I can defer. At least that will let me save a good bit (I'm not eligible for SUSI). I could always go part-time as well next year, they're saying they want flexible people now, and this could be the only chance of a job I could have so I don't want availability being a barrier. If I do choose to go part-time next year, they wouldn't be able to let me go. As my probation would be up and as such, it would be deemed unfair dismissal.

I'd be careful about presuming that. I had a friend working for dunnes who thought the same thing. Had been there 2 years on a flexi contract (min 12 or 15 hrs) but doing full time hours. She decided to go back to college and asked to go down to part time hours and was refused and told that she would be rostered as she always had been and they would be expecting her to show up and if she didn't, she would be breaking the work contract, not them. Now I do acknowledge that could have been a particular manager and not all but I wouldn't presume you can go pt I'm the future.

My bf also currently works for dunnes and while he has no problems with them, he has commented that they are not particularly flexible with newer staff.

Advertisement