Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching

Options
  • 09-06-2020 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi I currently have a level 8 degree in Early Childhood Education but I am looking for advice on getting into secondary school teaching. I would like to do this through Hibernia. Do I have to obtain a degree in a subject first before applying to hibernia? If so do I study my chosen subject on it's own e.g. history, or do I study an arts degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Mariahol wrote: »
    Hi I currently have a level 8 degree in Early Childhood Education but I am looking for advice on getting into secondary school teaching. I would like to do this through Hibernia. Do I have to obtain a degree in a subject first before applying to hibernia? If so do I study my chosen subject on it's own e.g. history, or do I study an arts degree?

Would you be interested in primary at all? Would there not be more of a crossover with your degree? Less hurdles to get over.

In order to register with the Teaching Council (in order to get paid), you have to be able register for at least one subject. The Teaching Council have a specific list of requirements needed for each subject area.

If you're going back to do any Arts degree, I would study two subjects.

If you're really brave, most universities offer evening degree programmes which you could possibly do with Hibernia. Expensive as well but it would save you time.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

If you're really brave, most universities offer evening degree programmes which you could possibly do with Hibernia. Expensive as well but it would save you time.
    At the application stage, Hibernia will ask for evidence of at least 60 ECTS credits in one curricular subject (as required by the Teaching Council). Then from the beginning of the PME, you'd study teaching methodologies on the assumption that you were already fairly proficient in the subject matter itself.

It might be more straightforward to train as a special needs assistant and then study some undergraduate modules as you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

jrmb wrote: »
    At the application stage, Hibernia will ask for evidence of at least 60 ECTS credits in one curricular subject (as required by the Teaching Council). Then from the beginning of the PME, you'd study teaching methodologies on the assumption that you were already fairly proficient in the subject matter itself.

It might be more straightforward to train as a special needs assistant and then study some undergraduate modules as you work.

It is a long time since I applied! In my day, there was no checking prior to doing the course. It's a good change - I remember we were nearly finished and a guy taking into a Teaching Council rep - that he wouldn't be able to register as he didn't have enough credits for any subject.

I remember we were nearly finished and a guy taking into a Teaching Council rep - that he wouldn't be able to register as he didn't have enough credits for any subject.
    What a nightmare! I might need to get some additional credits in my second subject. Frustratingly, you have to itemise your credits under specific headings and some module titles are wide open to interpretation.

Mariahol wrote: »
    You might be able to study a higher diploma programme or take single modules. You'll need to think carefully about whether the subject(s) will be in demand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement