Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Reddit closing at night as mods try to 'stem the flow' of extreme racism

Options
  • 09-06-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-reddit-page-shutting-overnight-as-moderators-try-to-stem-the-flow-of-extreme-racist-content-39271777.html
    The Ireland Reddit page is shutting down between midnight and 8am every day to try to “stem the flow” of extreme racist content, which may be coming from American sock puppet accounts.

Moderators of the page, which has over 280,000 members, said they have reached a “breaking point” for abusive and racist material in recent days.

It comes as far-right groups have started an orchestrated attempt to hijack online discussions about an attack in Carrigaline with racist commentary.

Reddit is one of the most popular discussion websites in the world, and describes itself as the front page of the internet.

Reddit is made up of subreddits on different topics, including a dedicated site for Ireland. The Ireland subreddit is monitored by voluntary moderators who either set up or help run the online community.

In a post on Monday night, the moderators announced that they had taken the “difficult decision” to shut down the Ireland page between midnight and 8am “in order to stem the flow of racist/extremist content which is being posted at these times.”

Moderators blamed a “multitude of sock puppet accounts” which are typically posting in American hours between midnight and 8am Irish time.

“This has resulted in the current [moderator] team having to spend several nights constantly watching every thread and comment submitted, along with banning dozens of accounts within the space of a short few hours. This has reached breaking point over the last few days,” the post said.

It said that it was often confirmed by Reddit administrators that racist abuse had often come from individuals running multiple accounts.

The moderators said they were at a “lost cause” trying to clean up “hate-filled messes” that were caused by inaction on the part of Reddit’s administrators. Many of the worst posts were also put up while moderators were asleep.

The Reddit page is now going to try to hire moderators based in different time zones, and set up an automated system which will flag racist and discriminatory language.

“While the vast majority of hateful comments submitted over the past while have been solely directed towards someone's skin colour, we are noting now that this automod filter list will include common phrases used against Traveller communities, and any other minority groups which we have found to have been of target by these accounts in the past,” the post said.

There has been anecdotal evidence of an increase in racist abuse and commentary online since a number of Black Lives Matter protests were held in Ireland.

This is mad. Apparently a load of US (possibly paid) accounts sock-puppeting in the sub during nighttime hours and attempting to stoke up a 'race war'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-reddit-page-shutting-overnight-as-moderators-try-to-stem-the-flow-of-extreme-racist-content-39271777.html

This is mad. Apparently a load of US (possibly paid) accounts sock-puppeting in the sub during nighttime hours and attempting to stoke up a 'race war'

I thought it was boards for a minute, you near give me a heart attack!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Great job by the mods there, it's a thankless task. I genuinely mean that. I like reddit Ireland and I'd hate to be subject to a load of gaslighting, propaganda and astroturfing every time I'm on it. If they have to close it at night then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Idiots are sending screenshots of fake whatsapp conversations of black kids in Dublin saying they're going to go around battering white people etc. A couple of my moron friends fell for them, one rang his nephew in Coolock to tell him to stay inside, as there was a marauding gang on the Oscar Traynor road, lol. There really are some weird people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I thought it was boards for a minute, you near give me a heart attack!

Judging by some of the ****e posted here, I wouldn't say boards is too far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not a "member" but some stomach churning stuff on Reddit IMO.
    Think it could bite them in the backside someday.
    You could imagine a right wing-nut going postal in the US someday after being radicalised by some of the cesspits on there.
    Suppose like twitter etc. they are "just a platform" as they call it, so can wash their hands. :confused:

• Advertisement

fly_agaric wrote: »
    You could imagine a right wing-nut going postal in the US someday after being radicalised by some of the cesspits on there.
    :

Pretty sure that has already happened a few times

Pretty sure that has already happened a few times

Ah okay - didn't know that. Thought some other websites/fora (that are even worse) had been connected to past instances of violence in the US but not Reddit itself. Consider me uninformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Ah okay - didn't know that. Thought some other websites/fora (that are even worse) had been connected to past instances of violence in the US but not Reddit itself. Consider me uninformed.

Your thinking of 4chan which is even more nuts than reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Judging by some of the ****e posted here, I wouldn't say boards is too far behind

I wonder how well boards would be equipped for this sort of thing. Its a lower risk compared to the likes of Reddit but it should be on the radar for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

Someone is getting logging on at 4am on Ireland's Reddit page giving out about travellers and the guy who stabbed a white lad in Carrigaline? Sounds like a drunk guy who might actually have a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boards would be as bad if it was allowed to be. Since Trump came to squat in the West wing this place hasn't lacked race warriors and general alt-right opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

AnnieOaks wrote: »
    boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/261419705

These absolute weirdos might have something to do with it..

Just a heads up some of the stuff written on that thread is just vile. Racist scum. Some strange people out there..

4chan is mostly a joke. I honestly doubt any of those people mean what they say; there seems to be a trend on 4chan that most of the users get a kick out of saying things which are edgy/controversial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I will never understand the mentality of someone who gladly works for free to make someone else rich. The amount of abuse and threats you put up with. Surely that time would be better spent paying attention to your kids or significant other. Even if you have no friends or family, invest that time in bettering yourself by focusing on your career or learning a new language. I would love an AMA with a mod to pick their brain because either they're not being honest about their compensation or there are psychological issues going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

We're going to see this kind of "OMG racist Neo-Nazis everywhere!" stuff for a while.

They know we've all seen hordes of black people in the US rioting, looting, and stomping on white people's heads for the last week or so, and now the social media and traditional media outfits will try to reprogram us with stuff about white racism.

I log onto Twitter and the first thing I see in the corner is "Four British neo-Nazis have been jailed on terrorism charges."

Then a little further down, "Protesters gather at Oxford University to demand the removal of Cecil Rhodes statue," accompanied by a video of an African man telling the British what kind of statues they can't have any more.

It's impressive to watch this shift in narrative when you know what they're doing.

I knew this thread would bring 'em out lol

accompanied by a video of an African man telling the British what kind of statues they can't have any more.

How do you know he was African? =/

That's not true, but whatever.

I have a feeling that was an attempt at irony by the poster, or just sarcasm perhaps but it was not very funny! Ah well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Echo chamber achieved.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Re reg troll dispatched

Do not discuss the Cork incident. That could prejudice any legal proceedings.

Any questions PM me. Do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Deported to where? He was born here?

Don’t care. Being born here to foreigners doesn’t make you a citizen. If he was naturalised we can rescind his citizenship and send him to Lithuania or whichever African nation his father is from.

Send a very strong message to those who may think about following in his footsteps. Nip the nonsense in the bud. Attack and racially abuse the natives and you will be dealt with accordingly.

The more pertinent question is as to why you’d oppose the deportation of a racist anti Irish thug who likes slicing up people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

280K on Reddit Ireland?

Surely a lot of that must be multiple accounts or international users?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

coinop wrote: »
    I would love an AMA with a mod to pick their brain because either they're not being honest about their compensation or there are psychological issues going on.
    In my case it's definitely not the former....

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

280K on Reddit Ireland?

If you sign up with an Irish IP address you automatically subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

280K on Reddit Ireland?

It is a massive subreddit and really active. 280K isn't really surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Beasty wrote: »
    In my case it's definitely not the former....

Would you know if it was? ;)

280K on Reddit Ireland?
    We're up to account no 933k+, and only 33k or so banned.

The About Us section provides some headline stats, but only a fraction of the "members" number are particularly active in terms of posting. I presume we do have quite a lot of readers who never sign up, or post, resulting in all those page impressions

Would you know if it was? ;)

I'm a Yorkshireman - I can account for every cent (and all the pennies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

280K on Reddit Ireland?

There are a lot of Americans, and other international users. There does seem to be a fair amount of astroturfing, and the most blatant multiple accounts get outed from time to time.
    It's also an active Sub - doesn't feel 280K active though. The same two dozen people pop up at the top of most threads.

The Mods there must have been doing a great job keeping out the Far Right stuff posted on it recently, cos I saw none.
    It does get rammed with stuff about "De Brits", that's in numbers either representing a much younger agegroup of users or astroturfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Irish Reddit is incredibly left wing with people who love the 'RA and dislike the U.K amongst other things and can be quite cringe as it has a lot of American esque things posted, so I presume these race comments aren't from the Irish people/regular users on it. They have no time for Gemma O'Doherty discussion or anything so I'm surprised they're having this problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I log onto Twitter and the first thing I see in the corner is "Four British neo-Nazis have been jailed on terrorism charges."

So are you suggesting that members of a far-right group that was made illegal and declared a terrorist organisation by the British Home Secretary 4 years ago should not have been jailed? If so, on what grounds?

Advertisement