Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Reddit closing at night as mods try to 'stem the flow' of extreme racism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

In my honest opinion, and in my experience,

Once you get under the surface, Ireland is probably the most racist country i have ever been in and the Irish the most tribal.

You've a way to go yet, Most of the country is still white/European.
    Once that mix begins to change, you will likely find yourselves in the same boat as every other country struggling with racial and cultural integration.

Traditionally us Irish are suspicious of and dislike people from the next parish never mind another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I've said it here before, but Ireland is the only country I've been to where I've seen racist abuse hurled at people on the street, loads of times. It has usually absolute scumbags, or kids taunting security guards with racial slurs. Or some taxi driver, but they don't seem to be as bad these days. I even have friends from when I was a kid who are losing their sh*t right now over this BLM stuff and that stabbing, and these fake texts about gangs of black kids going around - I mean one of the whatsapp groups just had n*gger this n*gger that, old friends of mine from when I was a kid, and I actually had to leave the room because I couldn't believe how f*cking stupid they were.
    I didn't encounter racism while living in London for years, no doubt it happens but never actually witnessed anything like I have here, for the most part it's a massive mix of cultures that mostly get along well.

The recent texts regarding gangs of black kids going around may be false but in the last year or so there has been several gangs of black teenagers terrorising north county Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I was banned from r/Ireland a few years ago. Just a bunch of miserable, humorless, group-thinking, leftist losers.

Reddit is an incredibly left leaning echo chamber, where they ban / quarantine any non left leaning subreddits, usually after it has been "brigaded" by progressive types who post incredibly racist content then hold it up as evidence as to why the subreddit needs to be banned.

Any videos showing black people in a bad light in the recent riots were systematically removed by moderators, they have sections of the website where they allow racial profiling (screening whites and banning them), and it being owned by China now Tiananmen square related posts are usually deleted.

Apart from the politics, it's just so cringe. Phrases like "heart-breakingly wholesome", "puppers", "hecking heck" are endlessly recycled.

I'm glad r/ireland is getting brigaded by right wing trolls. Gives them a taste of their own medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I was banned from r/Ireland a few years ago. Just a bunch of miserable, humorless, group-thinking, leftist losers.

Reddit is an incredibly left leaning echo chamber, where they ban / quarantine any non left leaning subreddits, usually after it has been "brigaded" by progressive types who post incredibly racist content then hold it up as evidence as to why the subreddit needs to be banned.

Any videos showing black people in a bad light in the recent riots were systematically removed by moderators, they have sections of the website where they allow racial profiling (screening whites and banning them), and it being owned by China now Tiananmen square related posts are usually deleted.

Apart from the politics, it's just so cringe. Phrases like "heart-breakingly wholesome", "puppers", "hecking heck" are endlessly recycled.

I'm glad r/ireland is getting brigaded by right wing trolls. Gives them a taste of their own medicine.

You would want to be saying awfully stupid things to get banned from the sub reddit.

Thes 9:22, and the sub is still closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Most subs have been out right deleting comments that don't agree about BLM. I got banned from r/bicycling for agreeing with someone who said politics should be kept out of the sub. Reddit is a progressive cesspool, completely dominated by their own ideology, yet they somehow they see Nazis everywhere.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

and it being owned by China now Tiananmen square related posts are usually deleted.

Eh I Just did a search for 'Tiananmen square' for the past week, I stopped scrolling after 10 pages of results

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I've said it here before, but Ireland is the only country I've been to where I've seen racist abuse hurled at people on the street, loads of times. It has usually absolute scumbags, or kids taunting security guards with racial slurs. Or some taxi driver, but they don't seem to be as bad these days. I even have friends from when I was a kid who are losing their sh*t right now over this BLM stuff and that stabbing, and these fake texts about gangs of black kids going around - I mean one of the whatsapp groups just had n*gger this n*gger that, old friends of mine from when I was a kid, and I actually had to leave the room because I couldn't believe how f*cking stupid they were.
    I didn't encounter racism while living in London for years, no doubt it happens but never actually witnessed anything like I have here, for the most part it's a massive mix of cultures that mostly get along well.
    To be fair USA, all of Africa and Asia as well as Australia have far more racism then Ireland. Most of Europe can be added to that list too. Haven't spent any time in London other than day trips but I've had paddy comments often enough in the UK and perhaps I'm wrong but I've always felt people who do are likely racists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

You would want to be saying awfully stupid things to get banned from the sub reddit.

Is it gone private?
    Or is that how it looks when it's closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Is it gone private?
    Or is that how it looks when it's closed?

it has gone private.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I've said it here before, but Ireland is the only country I've been to where I've seen racist abuse hurled at people on the street, loads of times. .

sure thing.:rolleyes:
    I'll place that in the category of things that never happened.

I'm not even that well travelled compared to others.
    Ive seen it in many places - UK , South Africa, Amsterdam even in Malta some dude got on a bus with a swastika tattooed on his crown (he wasn't the mystical asian type, in case you ask) and of course in Ireland too

The notion that Ireland is some racist sh1thole is just lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Balmed Out wrote: »
    To be fair USA, all of Africa and Asia as well as Australia have far more racism then Ireland. Most of Europe can be added to that list too. Haven't spent any time in London other than day trips but I've had paddy comments often enough in the UK and perhaps I'm wrong but I've always felt people who do are likely racists too.

Spent 2 years in Aussie, nearly everyone in Melbourne seems to have foreign parents, didn't experience any racism there either, although historically they've done some shameful things with aboriginals. It's a melting pot of cultures that works quite well, you'd often get on a tram and be the only white person, but never any problems. Same in NZ, spent a year there, in fact they were very well integrated like Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

paw patrol wrote: »

Ive seen it in many places - UK , South Africa, Amsterdam even in Malta some dude got on a bus with a swastika tattooed on his crown (he wasn't the mystical asian type, in case you ask) and of course in Ireland too

I never said it was a racist sh*thole, just that it's the only place I've seen people abused in public with slur words for being a different colour. For the most part we are nice and not racist.
    Malta is full of Serbians, I bet that guy was a Serbian nut job, my brother lives there and I've met a few of them there who always seem to have right wing leanings.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

coinop wrote: »
    I will never understand the mentality of someone who gladly works for free to make someone else rich. The amount of abuse and threats you put up with. Surely that time would be better spent paying attention to your kids or significant other. Even if you have no friends or family, invest that time in bettering yourself by focusing on your career or learning a new language. I would love an AMA with a mod to pick their brain because either they're not being honest about their compensation or there are psychological issues going on.

They're like GAA refs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I never said it was a racist sh*thole, just that it's the only place I've seen people abused in public with slur words for being a different colour. For the most part we are nice and not racist.
    Malta is full of Serbians, I bet that guy was a Serbian nut job, my brother lives there and I've met a few of them there who always seem to have right wing leanings.

in fairness to you - you didn't say those words.
    BUT if it's the only place in the world you've seen racist abuse (and your anecdotes seem plenty for one guy) it's only reasonable to deduce it's a racist sh1thole...no?

As for malta , he could have been , he wasn't black anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Kids learn it from their crap parents or the Internet or both, if they're taught a bit of decency along the way many of them grow out of that mindset. If they're called "scumbags" continuously and their position in society is used to beat them down, then they'll continue with the narrow view they had as teenagers and become full time racist mad bastards into adulthood.

Ever then, at least they're punching horizonally in their prejudices and not downwards, like most of the posters on here.
    That sounds like a narrative that you have created to fit your own agenda here tbh. To say Ireland is more racist than London is plainly untrue, if only because the ethnic diversity there is so much more mixed so different races are crossing paths more, inevitably (some would claim) leading to more instances of racism. I've only been to London on weekend trips three times and on one occasion saw a fella in a pub getting picked on because of his Nigerian accent, so my view of it is obviously different. A friend of mine lives there long term and regularly tells me about racism he experiences.

So I would respectfully disagree that London is less racist than Ireland.
    Traditionally us Irish are suspicious of and dislike people from the next parish* never mind another country.

*from the next bedroom

Most families don't even have loyalty to one another, let alone individuals feeling secure enough to be happy for the folks next door. As for those cu.nts living down the road, genocide would be too kind for them. God forbid they're not Catholic or they're black or gay or some other thing which makes them "fair game" for persecution.

I think it's to do with oppression for 800 years and licking the bootleather of those who step on you in the hopes that you'll be less severely downtrodden or some other troglodyte explanation. Hatred is so primitive and sad, just be happy for people and try and help them when you can, wtf not like. We're not in a John B. Keane play.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nyc-dublin

In my honest opinion, and in my experience,

Once you get under the surface, Ireland is probably the most racist country i have ever been in and the Irish the most tribal.

You've a way to go yet, Most of the country is still white/European.
    Once that mix begins to change, you will likely find yourselves in the same boat as every other country struggling with racial and cultural integration.

Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I find Irish Reddit unbearable in some ways, nearly every post is some anti-British meme made by a 14 year old or someone posts a picture of a packet of tayto someone's ma sent to them and they all go nuts over it. Or some wankathon as to how amazing our president is and his dogs.
    Or United Ireland talk, must be just posts by kids with nothing better to think about. Plus you can't really have a discussion because if you disagree with the narrative you get downvoted into oblivion.
    I don't know maybe I'm just too old for it.

Sounds exactly like Irish Simpsons Fans Facebook group. “God I f*cking hate the tans, they’re just the worst” - a 20 year old with a profile pic of a pink haired Che Guevara, draped in a hammer and sickle lgbt flag, passionately kissing a trans Lenin on the Gaza Strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Social media platforms were designed to provoke emotions to increase engagement.

This is the price.

Twitter, Facebook, reddit, Instagram, and other popularity contest social media platforms need to be shut down for inciting hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

nyc-dublin wrote: »
    Stop.
    Really? Stop?

My experience isn't valid then because it doesn't fit with your agenda huh?

Quite true.

• Advertisement

RIP free speech.

FFS

paw patrol wrote: »

Ireland isn't a ****hole.
    Its paradise. A Genuinly lovely place to live and work.

That doesn't mean its impervious to racism. Quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

As long as they stamp down on extreme left wing views as well i don't see the problem.

Believe me they do. Try going on to the accomodation and property forum and pointing out that Landlords should be executed and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

Boards would be as bad if it was allowed to be. Since Trump came to squat in the West wing this place hasn't lacked race warriors and general alt-right opinions.

Trump has at least gotten something half right, having a job is usually better than not, even if the pay is crap. What the USA has lack FOR DECADES is good education for all in their country and better workers rights. Trump hasn't been the one at fault for that. Focusing on him is pointless. He could drop dead in the morning and nothing will change in america. Is it trump's fault that people leave college with 100s of thousands of debt ? All the politicans over there are bought and paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Irish Reddit is incredibly left wing with people who love the 'RA and dislike the U.K amongst other things and can be quite cringe as it has a lot of American esque things posted, so I presume these race comments aren't from the Irish people/regular users on it. They have no time for Gemma O'Doherty discussion or anything so I'm surprised they're having this problem

Yep any attempt at discussion is quickly shot down and locked but start quoting tiocaidh ar la and or **** the brits and it’s thumbs up. Joke of a Reddit forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

This is mad. Apparently a load of US (possibly paid) accounts sock-puppeting in the sub during nighttime hours and attempting to stoke up a 'race war'

Attempting. You take any un-moderated forum and it turns to a racist mess in a heartbeat. In recent years, they have just gotten better at skirting around their viewpoints without directly saying them. But they never went away.

Although the R/thedonald crowd getting turfed out of voat for not being racist enough was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Racism is everywhere unfortunately.
    Black people have been slaving and murdering each other for thousands of years before they ever saw a white man.
    Rwanda being a prime example recently of racism amongst black communities and they’re still massacring each other in Africa.
    Then we have Irish people and travellers and vice versa.
    Practically every country in the world has racist undertones so painting it as a white problem is disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The Irish are the blacks of Europe. So say it loud 'I'm black and I'm proud'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

The Irish are the blacks of Europe. So say it loud 'I'm black and I'm proud'

#CancelTheCommitments

Can't say I've been there a lot but r/ireland just seemed like the worst. I do find it funny that a stupid sub has made the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Only visited that forum once or twice. There was a real whiff of student union off it.

Advertisement