Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Reddit closing at night as mods try to 'stem the flow' of extreme racism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Blazer wrote: »
    Racism is everywhere unfortunately.
    Black people have been slaving and murdering each other for thousands of years before they ever saw a white man.
    Rwanda being a prime example recently of racism amongst black communities and they’re still massacring each other in Africa.
    Then we have Irish people and travellers and vice versa.
    Practically every country in the world has racist undertones so painting it as a white problem is disingenuous.

In fairness the reason that happened in Rwanda was because of the Belgian's divide and conquer meddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

In fairness the reason that happened in Rwanda was because of the Belgian's divide and conquer meddling.

Yeah I think Rwandans need to take responsibility for that one. It contributed to it but it really wasn't the fault of the Belgians.

Yeah I think Rwandans need to take responsibility for that one. It contributed to it but it really wasn't the fault of the Belgians.

They divided them into two groups and convinced one group that they were racially superior to the other. I think that may have played a part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Just read the main thread on there about this. As I suspected, it seems that there is simply people disagreeing with the hive mind. There seems to be zero proof that Neo Nazis are involved. When asked for examples of this, all one of the mods could show is the following: https://imgur.com/a/ESLd6B1. If these are all the examples of "extreme racism" they could find, I doubt how just their position is. People who blindly believe this stuff, don't seem to understand how bad your average Reddit poster is.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Just read the main thread on there about this. As I suspected, it seems that there is simply people disagreeing with the hive mind.

Literally the first two posts I see in this example you consider "disagreeing with the hive mind" involve variations of the n word.

• Advertisement

Shlte subreddit.

As an aside, there is a misunderstanding of Reddit.. Plenty of boardsies join it and think that sub is for Irish people to talk and then they think it's a bad site. It's about Ireland; it's not for Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just read the main thread on there about this. As I suspected, it seems that there is simply people disagreeing with the hive mind. There seems to be zero proof that Neo Nazis are involved. When asked for examples of this, all one of the mods could show is the following: https://imgur.com/a/ESLd6B1. If these are all the examples of "extreme racism" they could find, I doubt how just their position is. People who blindly believe this stuff, don't seem to understand how bad your average Reddit poster is.

yeah, "enjoy your dip**** safe space n lover" is not racist at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They divided them into two groups and convinced one group that they were racially superior to the other. I think that may have played a part in it.

I said they contributed to it.I know they divided them.

Jesus

Its a really weird forum/sub,that one.....full of people who spend.their days screaming abuse at people who post nice pics of the countryside

Would ya be arsed taking em serious like

Nearly every thread seems to be a screenshot of some teenager's tweet about their ma and boiled 7up or something, this is the level of discussion half the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Literally the first two posts I see in this example you consider "disagreeing with the hive mind" involve variations of the n word.

I never said there wasn't any racism, but the fact that half of the examples given are relativity tame, proves my point about it being over exaggerated. I'd say it's highly likely many of the comments were tame when some of the worst examples they cite are tame. It's terrible journalism to post this stuff without much scrutiny, but the media have been wetting themselves over racist claims as of late so I'm not one bit surprised.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I never said there wasn't any racism, but the fact that half of the examples given are relativity tame, proves my point about it being over exaggerated. I'd say it's highly likely many of the comments were tame when some of the worst examples they cite are tame. It's terrible journalism to post this stuff without much scrutiny, but the media have been wetting themselves over racist claims as of late so I'm not one bit surprised.

using the N word is not tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I am not sure you're making the point you think you're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Spent 2 years in Aussie, nearly everyone in Melbourne seems to have foreign parents, didn't experience any racism there either, although historically they've done some shameful things with aboriginals. It's a melting pot of cultures that works quite well, you'd often get on a tram and be the only white person, but never any problems. Same in NZ, spent a year there, in fact they were very well integrated like Australia.

I been living in Australia near 16 years, I experienced direct racism maybe 8-10 times and only once was this directed at myself (by a drunk Aboriginal)

Most times I experienced its against Asians, especially the Chinese and their driving and the fact they do dumb shit that actually do piss people off like that Daigou stuff with the baby formula they do.

The Aboriginal history is indeed shameful, but I find the few times I heard white Australians talk negatively of them its very similar to how we talk of our Travellers but in saying that they would say they are not tarring them all with the same brush as there are quite a few in jobs such as teachers, police, lawyers and government etc which are considered as ok

Funny enough on the history of Australia is actually a bit closer to home than you think having a lot of Irish influence from the start and interestingly a lot of the massacres etc back in the early days involved Irish convicts and settlers to the point that Micheal D actually came to Australia and apologised on our behalf. Even the stolen generation was the government and judiciary (a lot having irish roots) leaving it up to the churches like the Anglicans and the largest was Catholicism which at the time imported those individuals skilled at running industrial type schools yep the Irish priests (who were often sent away) and Nuns to save the poor half-caste kids souls but often were abusing them similar to the mother/baby homes that we know about now.

But you are right 30% of Australians were actually born overseas or 49% of Australians were either born overseas themselves or had at least one parent born overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

I wonder how well boards would be equipped for this sort of thing. Its a lower risk compared to the likes of Reddit but it should be on the radar for sure

They just set up a forum for people to air their views and pretend it's discussion. Current Affairs is just the most recent one. There were two previous Politics Cafe's for the same thing. It's like a zoo they keep moving when the animals become aware of the fences around them.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I been living in Australia near 16 years, I experienced direct racism maybe 8-10 times and only once was this directed at myself (by a drunk Aboriginal)

Most times I experienced its against Asians, especially the Chinese and their driving and the fact they do dumb shit that actually do piss people off like that Daigou stuff with the baby formula they do.

The Aboriginal history is indeed shameful, but I find the few times I heard white Australians talk negatively of them its very similar to how we talk of our Travellers but in saying that they would say they are not tarring them all with the same brush as there are quite a few in jobs such as teachers, police, lawyers and government etc which are considered as ok

Funny enough on the history of Australia is actually a bit closer to home than you think having a lot of Irish influence from the start and interestingly a lot of the massacres etc back in the early days involved Irish convicts and settlers to the point that Micheal D actually came to Australia and apologised on our behalf. Even the stolen generation was the government and judiciary (a lot having irish roots) leaving it up to the churches like the Anglicans and the largest was Catholicism which at the time imported those individuals skilled at running industrial type schools yep the Irish priests (who were often sent away) and Nuns to save the poor half-caste kids souls but often were abusing them similar to the mother/baby homes that we know about now.

But you are right 30% of Australians were actually born overseas or 49% of Australians were either born overseas themselves or had at least one parent born overseas.

In fairness the way Asians drive down there... colour me racist but bloody hell...
    I knew that about the aboriginals in Aussie yes

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-played-part-in-atrocities-against-aboriginal-people-australian-mp-1.3259993

I guess you could say the same about the USA and Canada, Irish people settled there in huge numbers, displacing the natives. Basically all people are horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

They just set up a forum for people to air their views and pretend it's discussion. Current Affairs is just the most recent one. There were two previous Politics Cafe's for the same thing. It's like a zoo they keep moving when the animals become aware of the fences around them.

I am only starting to notice this myself. The political views shown in Current Affairs/IMHO are in no way representative of how the country voted in the previous election. There is some amount of hate in that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

yeah it was all the evil white man hypnotising them into doing it

goose2005 wrote: »

Kind of was, do some research

Mr.S wrote: »
    I disagree with that.

/r/ireland is full of Irish people, virtually all of the posts are Irish people option focused. And then obviously tourism / moving to ireland type posts - the same as boards.

There is 100% shill accounts on here as well, as boards is so spread out it's harder to notice.

I was describing reddit in general. /r/Ireland obviously has lots of Irish people but the subject matter is Ireland. If you're into something else, you go on that thing's subreddit.

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »

It's a well recognised strategy. Apartheid South Africa did similar, it made it less likely for the ruling regime to get overthrown. Invariably the rivalries remained after the colonists left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

In fairness the way Asians drive down there... colour me racist but bloody hell...

I work with an Asian guy and I did ask him why do Asians get a bad rap driving, in his own words "cos their squinty eyes make it too hard to see". Good old John Sun at least he has a sense of humor.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I work with an Asian guy and I did ask him why do Asians get a bad rap driving, in his own words "cos their squinty eyes make it too hard to see". Good old John Sun at least he has a sense of humor.

And every tram in Melbourne has at least one Asian fast asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gatling wrote: »
    33,000 banned would never have guessed it's that many , after nearly 14 years (for me ,) close to 1 million users would have expected that,the banned figure is mad to me

I thought it was up around 75k a few years ago before they hid the banlist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

As predicted, some irritated /r/Ireland users created an alternative sub to chat during the nightly curfew.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland2/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

love the tagline... :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah that won't last long.. everyone wants 'freedom of speech' on these message boards but then once they see what that actually means most ordinary people can't stomach it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

'Some irritated users' = dumb racist cun*s that can't handle being told to STFU?

It's like Voat all over again lmao

'Some irritated users' = dumb racist cun*s that can't handle being told to STFU?

It's like Voat all over again lmao

Ya, it's like the Donald style nonsense... What grown person uses the term "cuck"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Yeah that won't last long.. everyone wants 'freedom of speech' on these message boards but then once they see what that actually means most ordinary people can't stomach it

Yeah from what they were saying it was like they were watching snuff videos detailing what was posted by the edgy posters when it seemed to be mainly racist comments which is awful. I don't condone what I heard was posted on there but they keep calling the edgy poster's people living in an 'Alt right echochamber', the Ireland reddit is an complete echo chamber but for left leaning thoughts where everyone largely agrees and anything too right wing is down voted to hell, when they get exposed to something they don't like that sounds horrible to them they want to ban it. Now from what I heard of the comments it sounded pretty awful and I can understand if they don't want to see that but don't be a hypocrite Irish Reddit community, the Ireland Reddit is the sphere they accuse those edgy posters of living in just in reverse.

Again I just want to emphasize I don't condone any racist or derogatory behavior and I'm not right wing (or left wing) but the ability to not see we all live in echo chambers is highly arrogant and smug from all who accuse others of living in one.

Advertisement