Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Reddit closing at night as mods try to 'stem the flow' of extreme racism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

francois wrote: »
    Culture wars innit?

Yeah you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

...and we're back

https://old.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/inwjhu/7th_september_2020_update/
    We're reopening r/Ireland after the admins engaged with us, and removed accounts which were actively doxxing r/Ireland moderators.

We're moving forward in assuming the admins are working in the best possible faith to eliminate areas of reddit which are set up explicitly for these purposes.

With this, there's three things we wish to address as a group;

Firstly, /u/Jester252 has stepped down from the Moderator position on r/Ireland.

Secondly, on a far more serious note, it's been raised to the attention of the active moderators that a mod on here responded to harassment from sockpuppet accounts with an egregious response. The active mods reached out to this moderator, and it has been flagged with the admins.

Lastly, we are aware that one of our moderators was site-wide banned last night. The remaining Moderators have asked for information on his ban, but have not received any response as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bambi wrote: »
    Sounds strangely like a power play alright, a few weirdos with weirdo political opinions take up a position of influence and suddenly their safety is under threat if Reddit does not aqquiesce to their demands. If Reddit, of all places, isn't buying into your accusations, we would have to wonder about the veracity of the demands.

Another ISF in the making

You get banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Terrible whiff of student union politics about this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The mods are dead right. There's an online element of right wing trolls who are desperate to infiltrate Ireland reddit.

They are trying to prevent it from becoming like Boards (which is a ghost town since it became full of racial threads). The race threads and the posters they bring tends to summon such toxicity and unpleasantness.
    I seriously don't understand why people like you even use discussion sites. They serve only as propaganda when there's only "correct" opinions allowed. You can dress your authoritarian desires up as being against "toxicity" all you like, but you're still an authoritarian at the end of the day.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Irish people appear to be very bad at running online communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Regardless of the sock puppets and shills and bots and blah blah blah:

It's good to have it back

With 300,000 subscribers, even if a third of them are bots, it would've been a shame to lose an online Irish community that large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

The whole thing is just embarassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not even drama like this can make me read that ****e site

Most reddit users generally are. The place is worse than a mental asylum.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I seriously don't understand why people like you even use discussion sites. They serve only as propaganda when there's only "correct" opinions allowed. You can dress your authoritarian desires up as being against "toxicity" all you like, but you're still an authoritarian at the end of the day.

I suspect you are getting the wrong end of the stick here. Irish Reddit had a night-time shutdown. Why do you think that they had to do this? Surely the hours that someone posts should have no bearing on how right-wing or left-wing or how much they despise or love Niall Horan and Lyons tea, should it?

The problem was, it did. The Irish Reddit site was getting swamped with posters attempting the influence the discussion from outside of Ireland. This is why they shut down Irish Reddit at our night time to limit their ability to post in their timezones. Yes, it just so happened that they were posting right-wing opinionated pieces (as with other social media sites here and elsewhere in Europe, but thats a different story). But this wasn't the reason for the night-time shutdown: A night-time shut-down should have no influence on what opinions were being posted if they were all coming from Ireland.

Because of this push back by the moderators the members attacked in turn by doxxing the moderators and other nasty stuff. Which led to the disagreement with the Admins when they would fail to ban these members and to the full closure and reopening and where we are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

pjohnson wrote: »
    You get banned?

Nope, gave up on the place. It's run by the same type of weirdos who try to turn LOI soccerball supporters clubs into branches of the Connolly Youth Movement :D

Irish people appear to be very bad at running online communities.

Power corrupts

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I knew this thread would bring 'em out lol

Thanks for prooving the point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Thomas Hudson

Nope, gave up on the place. It's run by the same type of weirdos who try to turn LOI soccerball supporters clubs into branches of the Connolly Youth Movement :D

Why does this always happen? Why do leftists always ruin online spaces with their political views?

Why does this always happen? Why do leftists always ruin online spaces with their political views?

Is this your view of Boards? As someone who only registered today and made two posts, you formed that anti-leftist view surprisingly quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

You want a ghost town try the politics forum (it still exists :D) over the years there was always a problem with the various mods and their orbiters in there and once there was an alternative on boards everyone bailed be the new time.
    Haha every time I try to post or create a thread there it's deleted with no explanation and I only realise when I go back to check days later.

Control. They've gotten used to ideological dominance in the last 10 years, especially online. The more dissent that exists the more rabid they get. It's all about keeping their power, and they'll do anything and everything to keep it.

• Advertisement

I suspect you are getting the wrong end of the stick here. Irish Reddit had a night-time shutdown. Why do you think that they had to do this? Surely the hours that someone posts should have no bearing on how right-wing or left-wing or how much they despise or love Niall Horan and Lyons tea, should it?

The problem was, it did. The Irish Reddit site was getting swamped with posters attempting the influence the discussion from outside of Ireland. This is why they shut down Irish Reddit at our night time to limit their ability to post in their timezones. Yes, it just so happened that they were posting right-wing opinionated pieces (as with other social media sites here and elsewhere in Europe, but thats a different story). But this wasn't the reason for the night-time shutdown: A night-time shut-down should have no influence on what opinions were being posted if they were all coming from Ireland.

Because of this push back by the moderators the members attacked in turn by doxxing the moderators and other nasty stuff. Which led to the disagreement with the Admins when they would fail to ban these members and to the full closure and reopening and where we are today.
    Reddit is full of Europeans doing the same to American politics, yet there's no issue there? I was on Reddit at the time of those nightly shut downs, and there was very little evidence given by the mods at the time. If you go look there now, even the regulars are pissed off at what the mods are doing. You shouldn't blindly believe them just because they say so.

Control. They've gotten used to ideological dominance in the last 10 years, especially online. The more dissent that exists the more rabid they get. It's all about keeping their power, and they'll do anything and everything to keep it.

I just want to chill and laugh at Simpsons memes and not be lectured about how Direct Provision is bad.

Reddit is full of Europeans doing the same to American politics, yet there's no issue there? I was on Reddit at the time of those nightly shut downs, and there was very little evidence given by the mods at the time. If you go look there now, even the regulars are pissed off at what the mods are doing. You shouldn't blindly believe them just because they say so.

There was an increase in 'far right' posts and discussion during the night, before they decided to shut it down though. Whether it was Irish insomniacs or Americans, I don't know

There was an increase in 'far right' posts and discussion during the night, before they decided to shut it down though. Whether it was Irish insomniacs or Americans, I don't know

I know that's the claim. I've seen little evidence of it. When the moderators were asked for examples of these far right posts, most of the examples were tame, and certainly not far right. Calling any dissenting comments far right is pathetic. If we're being truthful the mods simply want all the posters to agree with them, which is all too common on Reddit. Many, many people were banned from non political subs during the BLM nonsense for simply questioning why politics were in non political spaces. I personally was banned from two sports subs over it. You can't view Reddit as some normal forum, full of sanity, because it is the opposite.

I would say it was the same Irish people who post on /eirepol/ on 4chan, those people wouldn't exactly be known for keeping regular hours..

Find it hard to believe that American extremists would attack Reddit Ireland.

OK, humor us: If you think that the moderators are lying and did not close Irish Reddit at night to stop posters from outside of Ireland, why did they do it? (without resorting to whataboutisms).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭eggy81

yeah, "enjoy your dip**** safe space n lover" is not racist at all

Its barely even language.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I just want to chill and laugh at Simpsons memes and not be lectured about how Direct Provision is bad.

Everything is political, you need to be constantly lectured on how racist, sexist and unfair life is at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The trolls who go onto sites or Reddit like this aren't interested in "discussion". They're there to shitpost and cause trouble, using hot button topics to do so. It's merely cherrybombing a toilet and sitting back to look at the disaster happen.

It's playing a game. Not a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If it's "embarrassing", it's embarrassing for the mods and admins who run Reddit and are incapable of tackling trolls. In fairness to them, it's not an easy task to have to constantly deal with users who are only interested in shitposting and wasting everyone else's time so they can please the schadenfreude part of their limited thinking.

Such an endeavour is an arduous and thankless task and when you have users that are in the many thousands, it can become almost impossible too.

You can see it on here ever day. You have have a "newly" registered poster and they'll be straight onto the hot button issue and leave a single line remark in a deliberately inflammatory manner.

My penny to your pound that's a previously banned poster who's re-reg'd and is back to shitpost and see how long it takes for the mods to ban them again.

Advertisement