Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD my passport ultra may have died...?

Options
  • 09-06-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

So i dropped it earlier on tiles and when I plug it in it shows up but clicks every so often...when i try access my files the explorer window just goes into "not responding". Anything else I could try? Only care about the photos etc on it. I know i should of had it backed up. Think its goosed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Click of death.

Expensive pro recovery or bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ED E wrote: »
    Click of death.

Expensive pro recovery or bin it.

It still shows up though? the click of death is constant though no?

Meant to add, I can still access the files. But I cant move them off it just freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Slim, very slim chance to get some of the files.
    Dont attempt big volumes, folder-by-folder, or even file-by-file...

1. Kill file explorer from task manager
    2. use CMD command to copy files to other location

no joy, any Linux tricks I could try etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

zweton wrote: »
    no joy, any Linux tricks I could try etc ?

I would try testdisk.
    You can recover files from within specified folders if it can access them at all.

After you get the most important files off, I suggest taking an image of the drive (dd command), and from there work on recover files from the image.

Do not, under any circumstances use the drive more than is absolutely necessary, and do NOT write to it.

When you have what you can recover you can then see if the drive itself can be used in future or not.

Most of all be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.
    If not familiar with testdisk then I suggest you use a good drive to practice on so that you know exactly how you will go about the procedure in the quickest possible time.

• Advertisement

I would try testdisk.
    You can recover files from within specified folders if it can access them at all.

After you get the most important files off, I suggest taking an image of the drive (dd command), and from there work on recover files from the image.

Do not, under any circumstances use the drive more than is absolutely necessary, and do NOT write to it.

When you have what you can recover you can then see if the drive itself can be used in future or not.

Most of all be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.
    If not familiar with testdisk then I suggest you use a good drive to practice on so that you know exactly how you will go about the procedure in the quickest possible time.

thanks johnboy, just downloaded testdisk will give it a try.

Advertisement