Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can heating controls be installed and wired to old boiler.

• 10-06-2020 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi I was thinking of installing an S plan system into my open vented heating system. currently there is no heating controls installed on the system i.e. motorised valves, room stats, cylinder stat, just an old mechanical apt time clock.

I want to upgrade the controls first before replacing the boiler. Can this be wired to a baxi solo2 50 pf?

Also the boiler is downstairs in the kitchen and the cylinder is upstairs. As the flow and return are run from the boiler to the cylinder connectIons are taken off for rads before the primary flow and return reach the cylinder. So now floors upstairs are going to have to be taken up so pipework can be altered for zoning and fishing wires for cylinder (hotpress) to boiler.

Is there any alternative option?

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

You could look at using smart trv's on your rads as an alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Kealyboy

DGOBS wrote: »
    You could look at using smart trv's on your rads as an alternative

Yea I taught of that as well. Honeywell evohome are a option but are these a lot of hassle with regards to changing batteries in TRVs, always having wifi etc? and the cost I think are very expensive.

Would I get the €700 grant if I install these and what would the cost be? I could install myself though.

If I got a registered SEAI contractor to install S plan plus controls in my house and given that there was no alterations to be made to pipework as discussed above. Just a case of installing motorised valves and wiring stats and programmer to boiler, what cost would I be looking at (ballpark figure) ? Minus the €700 grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Kealyboy wrote: »
    If I got a registered SEAI contractor to install S plan plus controls in my house and given that there was no alterations to be made to pipework as discussed above. Just a case of installing motorised valves and wiring stats and programmer to boiler, what cost would I be looking at (ballpark figure) ? Minus the €700 grant

If it's a 2 zone system additional works also needed to be counted for you to get the grant for the zoning. Bypass valve, immersion timer, 10 sq earth bonding, boiler interlock, and 50% of the radiators will need TRVs.
    Would you prefer the system to be wired or wireless with remote access?
    It could be any where from 1000 euro to 1800 then take your grant away.

If it's a 2 zone system additional works also needed to be counted for you to get the grant for the zoning. Bypass valve, immersion timer, 10 sq earth bonding, boiler interlock, and 50% of the radiators will need TRVs.
    Would you prefer the system to be wired or wireless with remote access?
    It could be any where from 1000 euro to 1800 then take your grant away.

Im more old school id prefer it to be wired. Im thinking I could just buy an S plan plus heating controls pack. Install the 3 zone valves myself (hot water, upstairs heating and down stairs heating) put a bypass in up at the cylinder, tee off just before the hot water motorised valve with 15mm copper pipe between F&R with a gate valve slighty open ( like a balancing valve), thats my bypass installed and then I could get a spark in to wire everything up i.e. 2 room stats, cylinder stat and programmer and just forget about the grant. I can install the TRVs myself aswell. I would be competent on the plumbing side but not on the electrical side.

• Advertisement

Well if you go wired get the digital stats they are way more accurate than the mechanical ones. I've seen some of the cheaper one being 3 degrees out..
    If your just going to do the plumbing side yourself great and all you will need is a electrician to wire it all up but make sure he understands the proper way to wire an SPlan system. I dont think they are as bad as they used to be but I've seen some terrible ways sparks have wired systems over the years!!!. He'll probably change 50 to 70 euro an hour that hes there for to wire it up.. than add your materials and time onto that. It probably wont be too far off by getting a plumber in to do it all.

Well if you go wired get the digital stats they are way more accurate than the mechanical ones. I've seen some of the cheaper one being 3 degrees out..
    If your just going to do the plumbing side yourself great and all you will need is a electrician to wire it all up but make sure he understands the proper way to wire an SPlan system. I dont think they are as bad as they used to be but I've seen some terrible ways sparks have wired systems over the years!!!. He'll probably change 50 to 70 euro an hour that hes there for to wire it up.. than add your materials and time onto that. It probably wont be too far off by getting a plumber in to do it all.

The boiler is downstairs and the cylinder is upstairs. The F&R tee off downstairs at the boiler; for downstairs rads and also go upstairs to cylinder and upstairs rads. Tell me if I am wrong but if I was to put the wiring centre upstairs in hot press I could wire 2 rooms stats, cylinder stat and 2 motorised valves (hot water & upstairs heating) to wiring centre In hot press without any issue but the 3th Motorised valve (downstairs heating) would be downstairs in boiler cupboard where the F&R tee off for downstairs heating so I would have to extend that wire and fish it back up to hotpress upstairs to wiring centre right? The fused spur at boiler would have to be disconnected from apt time clock and wired up to wiring centre the pump is outside of the boiler but wired to the boiler pcb this would also have to be electrically disconnected for the pcb and wire up to wiring centre?? My programmer would be down at the boiler where the apt time clock is now and Obviously I would have my wiring form wiring centre back down to programmer and boiler.

The main point and question I have is that am I right in saying I would have to take the LNE from my fused spur, and pump and also wires from downstairs motorised valve and have to fish them back up to the wiring centre in hotpress and wIre everything from there and then wire back downstairs to programmer and boiler???

Thanks

Just came across the Energia cosy home scheme, it sounds very good. Much cheaper than any option I have considered to date.

Pricing –

SEAI Grant approved heating controls
    List price
    €1,600
    SEAI Grant
    - €750
    Energia customer credits
    - €590
    Homeowner Pays
    €260
    Materials/Hardware –

1 x 2 channel digital programmable timeclock
    1 x digital wireless room thermostat
    1 x domestic hot water thermostat
    2 x motorized zone valves
    4 x Thermostatic Rad valves
    1 x immersion timeclock
    1 x miscellaneous pipework & fittings
    1 x BER

You seem to understand your own system very much and going by your details you seem to have the right ideas when it comes to the wiring. Your right in saying that you will need to leave the wiring centre in the hot press and get the other cables back to the hot press. Now I have seen lads putting a second wiring centre at the downstairs motorised valve and also combine the wiring for the boiler there too. This would reduce some of the wiring cores going back to the hot press but all the wiring would have to be taken from the fuse spur at the boiler..

The system energia are promoting there is for a 2 zone system you should be going for a 3 zone system. And with the pipe work in Place like you said you could get a 3 zone system with remote access for the same price of what energia are charging for a 2 zone system

Advertisement