Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HBO temporarily pulls Gone with the Wind from streaming

Options
12346»

Comments

Watched David Copperfield last night and it was superb, still fascinates me that certain people get annoyed by the casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yes, it's not the state doing the censoring, it's the corporations/owners of the material, which is why many liberals are fine with it. However I am not so sure that a massive corporation self-censoring it's own content is less grounds for concern, especially if that corporation owns most of the content and many of the channels for distributing it.

On the one hand, I don't care about HBO being stupid over 'Gone With the Wind', because I still find it bizarre that I can order an uncut copy of 'The New York Ripper' from Amazon, which to me sound crazy because during the 90's I went through silly lengths to try and see video nasties - 90% of which were absolutely not worth the bother. But it's an indication of just how far things have come since my video collecting days.

But another side of me wonders how long it'll be before they actually do start censoring sell through movies because something might not coincide with some people's 21st Century sensibilities.

Watched David Copperfield last night and it was superb, still fascinates me that certain people get annoyed by the casting.

It's annoying and silly in the same way that casting Brendan Gleeson as Cetshweyo in a remake of 'Zulu' would be annoying and silly.

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's annoying and silly in the same way that casting Brendan Gleeson as Cetshweyo in a remake of 'Zulu' would be annoying and silly.

Have you watched it? It's a well made and entertaining adaptation of it. I say this as a person who loves the book and couldn't care less about the skin colour of who plays Copperfield.

ELM327 wrote: »
    They'll have to cancel Tom and Jerry cartoons too. The matriach is the stereotypical southern black housekeeper.

I'd say "typical" black housekeeper.

I mean, for fuck sake, people like that existed. A buddy of my cousin in New York, her grandmother was a housekeeper to a rich white family for years. Right up til the late 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don’t really know what the (excellent) casting of Dev Patel in The Personal History is David Copperfield has anything to do with a single US streaming service temporarily removing Gone With The Wind, but hey. *shrugs*

Have you watched it? It's a well made and entertaining adaptation of it. I say this as a person who loves the book and couldn't care less about the skin colour of who plays Copperfield.

I'll take a look at some stage, but personally I was never that big a fan of the story anyway. I've always much preferred 'A Christmas Carol' and 'Great Expectations'.

Right now, however, my to do list is a long as your arm. I have numerous blus sitting in the shelf still in their bloody shrink wrap. Just don't have the time watch or rewatch everything that I want to.

But the point still remains, even if the film turns out to be great and I like it. Having David Copperfield (who's based very much on Dickens himself if I remember my school days) played by an Indian guy in the England of 1850 is never going to look anything but silly to me.

Very easy to make the uncensored, original Tom & Jerry cartoons available for archival purposes and the public interest - that should 100% be the case.

Early 20th century racial stereotypes shouldn’t be part of daytime TV kid’s programming.

These two viewpoints aren’t mutually exclusive :)

Black housekeepers existed and in VERY large numbers too. What good does it do to...ahem...whitewash them out of existence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The Dukes Of Hazard and their general lee.
    And the flag.

And Daisy.

Yep, I saw Dambusters in the IFI last year it had a similar disclaimer, the right way to go about it, didn't affect the film itself at all, I do love seeing the alt right types on boards getting all riled up about a film they have never seen and have no interest in though!
    Re the black dog's name presumably.

Guy Gibson had a dog called "Nigger" and "Nigger" was a call sign for the blowing of the Möhne dam.

Having a disclaimer in front to of the film because that's in it, is just talking down to an audience in the most vomit inducing way.

It's relatively trivial in the grand scheme of things, but still...

EDIT, I find it hilarious that there may be some folk that get upset at the name of Guy Gibson's dog, but couldn't care less about the fact the the dam buster raid killed thousands of women and children and imported Reich labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

I'm amazed that people are actually looking for offense now. A big scene over a certain episode of fawlty towers that contains the n###er word. Oh my god black and wannabe blacks think this word is horrendous.
    Tune in to MTV or listen to black people addressing other black people, every second word is n###er.
    It's very easy to be offended if you want to be offended.

Are you saying they talked like that at any time :pac: Oh Lawdy!
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Begosh and begorrah I don't know. Top o t'mornin to ya

Oh Fiddle de dee... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

So by this logic a whole genre of a certain music is gonna scrubbed from history too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sky News Australia seems far more entertaining than their British feed

https://twitter.com/addicted2newz/status/1272595143351316480

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement