If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Monitor Audio Sub woofer

Options
  • 10-06-2020 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I bought a new Onkyo AV receiver from you a few months ago after my last one died. However I can’t get my Monitor Audio sub woofer (that I bought from you about ten years ago) to work. It isn’t showing up on the Onkyo’s calibration screen when I run the sound test. The woofer is emitting a low hum but no other sounds are coming from it. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. David

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

D13exile wrote: »
    Hi guys. I bought a new Onkyo AV receiver from you a few months ago after my last one died. However I can’t get my Monitor Audio sub woofer (that I bought from you about ten years ago) to work. It isn’t showing up on the Onkyo’s calibration screen when I run the sound test. The woofer is emitting a low hum but no other sounds are coming from it. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. David
    Hi D13exile,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the sub.

If you can let me know what input you have the sub cable connected to on the sub and what output it's coming from on the amp!

If you can let me know we can start to get to the bottom of the issue!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

not to interfere!, similar issue when I changed (to Arcam) where under speaker types sub-menu there is a setting related to Subwoofer - in my setup I have options set sub to 'none' or 'present' if connected (section also deals with cross-over freq etc). You might find something along those lines in Onkyo settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Hi D13exile,

If you can let me know what input you have the sub cable connected to on the sub and what output it's coming from on the amp!

Kind regards

David

Hi David

I have the sub connected with a Belkin RCA cable that is attached to the left input port on the back of the sub and it is connected into the subwoofer pre out on the amp. I don’t know if these are the right connections or if the rca cable is at fault. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

David

Hi D13exile,

Kind regards

David

Hi David

I have the sub connected with a Belkin RCA cable that is attached to the left input port on the back of the sub and it is connected into the subwoofer pre out on the amp.  I don’t know if these are the right connections or if the rca cable is at fault. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

David
    Hi D13exile.

That seems like the correct connections.

If you unplug the cable from the back of the amp and turn on the subwoofer, if you press your finger onto the end of the cable then the subwoofer should make a popping sound to show that it is getting a signal.

If you have another cable to try to see if we can eliminate any of the components.

Kenny.

Hi D13exile,

Kind regards

David

Hi David

I have the sub connected with a Belkin RCA cable that is attached to the left input port on the back of the sub and it is connected into the subwoofer pre out on the amp.  I don’t know if these are the right connections or if the rca cable is at fault. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

David
    Hi D13exile.

If you unplug the cable from the back of the amp and turn on the subwoofer, if you press your finger onto the end of the cable then the subwoofer should make a popping sound to show that it is getting a signal.

If you have another cable to try to see if we can eliminate any of the components.

Kenny.
    Hi Guys

I bought a new rca cable today and tried it as you suggested.  I connected the cable into the back of the sub woofer and touched the end of the cable and there was no popping sound.  The sub is powered up and humming, and I’ve set it up as per the Onkyo recommendations but when I run the sound calibration on the amp, it doesn’t find the sub and there is no sound from it during the test.  Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Hi D13exile,

Kind regards

David

Hi David

David
    Hi D13exile.

Kenny.
    Hi Guys

I bought a new rca cable today and tried it as you suggested.  I connected the cable into the back of the sub woofer and touched the end of the cable and there was no popping sound.  The sub is powered up and humming, and I’ve set it up as per the Onkyo recommendations but when I run the sound calibration on the amp, it doesn’t find the sub and there is no sound from it during the test.  Any ideas?
    Hi David,

It could be that the amp module in the subwoofer is faulty! Does the sub hum when there's no signal connected to it or is it only when the amp is connected to it?

What model of subwoofer is it you have and I can look at the price of a replacement sub amp module?

Kind regards

David

Hi D13exile,

Kind regards

David

Hi David

David
    Hi D13exile.

Kenny.
    Hi Guys

Hi David,

It could be that the amp module in the subwoofer is faulty! Does the sub hum when there's no signal connected to it or is it only when the amp is connected to it?

What model of subwoofer is it you have and I can look at the price of a replacement sub amp module?

Kind regards

David
    Hi

My sub is a Monitor Audio Radius 360.  Please let me know how much the replacement part would be versus the cost of a new sub.  Would the replacement part be plug and play or will I have to solder it in?

Thanks

David

Hi D13exile,

Kind regards

David

Hi David

David
    Hi D13exile.

Kenny.
    Hi Guys

Hi David,

Kind regards

David
    Hi

My sub is a Monitor Audio Radius 360.  Please let me know how much the replacement part would be versus the cost of a new sub.  Would the replacement part be plug and play or will I have to solder it in?

Thanks

David
    Hi David.

The Radius 360 and 360 HD parts are no longer available unfortunately. We ahd been onto Monitor Audio checking for another customer a while before lock down and they had invformed us of that.

If you wanted to go for a new Radius sub their is the Radius 380 retailing at £499 - I could offer a brand new one to you for £399.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12555-monitor-audio-radius-380-walnut-subwoofer.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

Hi David.

The Radius 360 and 360 HD parts are no longer available unfortunately. We ahd been onto Monitor Audio checking for another customer a while before lock down and they had invformed us of that.

If you wanted to go for a new Radius sub their is the Radius 380 retailing at £499 - I could offer a brand new one to you for £399.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12555-monitor-audio-radius-380-walnut-subwoofer.aspx

Kenny.

Hi Guys
    Would you hold that price for a few weeks as money is tight at the moment? Would probably be in a position to buy at the end of the month?
    Thanks
    David

Hi David.

Kenny.

Hi Guys
    Would you hold that price for a few weeks as money is tight at the moment?  Would probably be in a position to buy at the end of the month?
    Thanks
    David
    Hi D13exile,

We can hold that price for a couple of weeks depending on stock availability!

Let us know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi guys

I now have the cash to proceed with this purchase if the deal above is still on offer?

thanks

David

Hi guys

I now have the cash to proceed with this purchase if the deal above is still on offer?

thanks

David
    Hey D13exile.

Thanks fro coming back to us.

I can still offer the 380 in Gloss black for £399.00

If you want to drop me your contact number and address in a PM I can give you a shout to finalise the order.

Kenny.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Kenny and David for the great deal on my new sub woofer.  You’ve got the best customer service in Ireland by a country mile.

I’ll be back later this year for a new tv.  Why would I want to buy elsewhere?

Thanks again guys.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Kenny and David for the great deal on my new sub woofer.  You’ve got the best customer service in Ireland by a country mile.

I’ll be back later this year for a new tv.  Why would I want to buy elsewhere?

Thanks again guys.
    Thanks so much D13exile, really appreciate the post!!

Let me know when you're ready for the TV and enjoy your new sub!

Have a great weekend!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.