Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antanov 225 visit to Shannon June 10 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

ATC just cleared them to 330 a moment ago.
    Their current heading is 40, looks like they are heading for overhead Athlone..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seems to be heading north...stopping off in Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

fryup wrote: »
    seems to be heading north...stopping off in Belfast?

No Belfast runway too small. Flightradar 24 says Kyiv.

whiterebel wrote: »
    As must the exporter be who paid $3.25M for the charter. Maybe they got confused and dropped it down the back of the couch.

Well it certainly wasn’t the AN 225. Unless you are saying that Shannon airport has forgotten to add the 13 times it was in in 2010 to their 4 ?!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Just flew over my house, fecking cloudy :(
    Heard it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Just flew over my house, fecking cloudy :(
    Heard it though.

Same. I’d say my neighbours are beginning to wonder about me now. Standing out in my driveway, phone on hand looking up at the sky. Was out a few times looking for the space x stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why is it taking this flight path? why doesn't it fly straight to Kiev?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

fryup wrote: »
    why is it taking this flight path? why doesn't it fly straight to Kiev?

It looks like they're looking for a headwind! Further south would have been more direct and with less headwind. Strange.

FL340 winds at 12Z today

516105.PNG

516106.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Video of it leaving. Looks like the pilot gave a wave/nod/wing drop goodbye :D

https://twitter.com/ShannonAirport/status/1271360365658546178

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Advertisement

This morning's takeoff from the cockpit

She’ll be back in July ;)

And this was the landing in Kiev 4 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

When

FFVII wrote: »
    When

?

July

Why is a flight crew of 6 required? What are these 4 guys monitoring?

516195.png

Why is a flight crew of 6 required? What are these 4 guys monitoring?

516195.png

2x pilots
    1x radio operator
    2x engineers
    1x navigator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Its 1970s technology. Not much computers on board so they are monitoring the engines, Radios, Electronics, Air con & Navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

afatbollix wrote: »
    Its 1970s technology. Not much computers on board so they are monitoring the engines, Radios, Electronics, Air con & Navigation.

Most of them look well north of 60, some 70. Impressive machine it truly is indeed, a pleasure to see these Videos!

Remember it was initially built for this purpose:

AN225-with-shuttle-450x300.jpg

Antonov_An-225_with_Soviet_space_shuttle_Buran_on_top.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Not confirmed.

• Advertisement

Your man on the left has an easy job compared to the guys on the right!

https://youtu.be/eNxTq9RrOs0

516199.png

516200.png

I love the sound of the Ukrainian language (I think it’s that), like Russian with a lovely chirp. Love the various call outs Dyveyvyat (10) Sto (100). Learned a few phrases when there back in 1979. My favourite being “Lyeeft nye rabotayet” which was handy when I actually got stuck in a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cheers for all the clips and pics folks.

Looking at the landing video in Kiev there, it seems that their fields are as green as our own. Wasn't expecting that, and I don't know why!

I love the sound of the Ukrainian language (I think it’s that), like Russian with a lovely chirp. Love the various call outs Dyveyvyat (10) Sto (100). Learned a few phrases when there back in 1979. My favourite being “Lyeeft nye rabotayet” which was handy when I actually got stuck in a lift.

Or the female readout "MINEEMUM MINEEMUM" on short final. I notice that the radioaltimeter figures were being read out metre by metre into the flare. Not a bump in any of the clips I've seen. As someone said the other day, it's hard to know if it's touched down or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

"installation of a domestically-designed power management and control system and combined integrated altitude and altimeter in central console"

She's been grounded for the last near 2 years for that modernisation, which will keep her going now til 2033.

Antonio have signed a deal with China to let them mostly copy the design so that they can build their own ones.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/covid-19-chonky-boi-plane

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transport/an-225-returns-to-flight-after-modernisation/137555.article

Or the female readout "MINEEMUM MINEEMUM" on short final. I notice that the radioaltimeter figures were being read out metre by metre into the flare. Not a bump in any of the clips I've seen. As someone said the other day, it's hard to know if it's touched down or not.

I was incorrect - Dvevyet = 9, Dyesyet = 10.

Those multiple wheels absorb a lot of landing impact, I guess. However, having flown on Tupolev 154 with same style gear engineered for rough fields, you can certainly feel the landing as the aircraft feels as if it’s pushing down firmly into the ground, which is exactly what it’s meant to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Not a bump in any of the clips I've seen. As someone said the other day, it's hard to know if it's touched down or not.

Noticed the same thing, I suspect it's just image stabilisation on the camera smoothing out the bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Not confirmed.

The poster hasn’t been wrong yet in anything they’ve posted previously both on this and the a380 being scrapped.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    The poster hasn’t been wrong yet in anything they’ve posted previously both on this and the a380 being scrapped.

Correct but they are also correct. Nothing in aviation is confirmed till it’s confirmed unfortunately.

I was just giving a heads up that it is possibly/probably coming back sometime late in July. I wouldn’t go making any plans just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

shanec1928 wrote: »

He was wrong on Tuesday evening here when he said the 225 was cancelled for Wednesday.

Advertisement