Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antanov 225 visit to Shannon June 10 2020

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Well it certainly wasn’t the AN 225. Unless you are saying that Shannon airport has forgotten to add the 13 times it was in in 2010 to their 4 ?!.

The private circulation subscription magazine Irish Air Letter states of this week's visit "Whilst the aircraft has made 17 previous visits to Shannon, all of these were on technical stops, so this is the first time the aircraft had actually brought a load destined for Shannon. Its first visit to Shannon took place on 08 December 2002, arriving from Hahn and departing out to Montreal/Mirabel. It paid numerous visits in 2003, and its previous visit to Shannon was on 12 April 2015." I would regard this as almost certainly the correct position.

I wonder what that beast is like to fly. I imagine it’s stable and heavy, with a lot of planning required before manoeuvring. Pilots seem to adore flying the 747, so size alone doesn’t say it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

EchoIndia wrote: »
    The private circulation subscription magazine Irish Air Letter states of this week's visit "Whilst the aircraft has made 17 previous visits to Shannon, all of these were on technical stops, so this is the first time the aircraft had actually brought a load destined for Shannon. Its first visit to Shannon took place on 08 December 2002, arriving from Hahn and departing out to Montreal/Mirabel. It paid numerous visits in 2003, and its previous visit to Shannon was on 12 April 2015." I would regard this as almost certainly the correct position.

Here is a picture of it in Shannon in 1991 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Ilyushin76 wrote: »

Ha ha -they will be mortified to have got that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Hahahaha, the thread that keeps on giving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I know it's not related to the Irish visit, but I just came across this video. What a view around 1 minute onwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

g0g wrote: »

I know it's not related to the Irish visit, but I just came across this video. What a view around 1 minute onwards!!

Posted earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

?

July

Any chance of a post back on this thread when you know more?

Any chance of a post back on this thread when you know more?

Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why is a flight crew of 6 required?

Communism :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

salonfire wrote: »
    Communism :pac:

France isn't communist but at Paris - CDG they employ at least 8 people to check your boarding pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

I wonder what that beast is like to fly. I imagine it’s stable and heavy, with a lot of planning required before manoeuvring. Pilots seem to adore flying the 747, so size alone doesn’t say it it.

I would say that when you are flying a plane that's got a 290 feet wingspan, banking at low altitude would not be a trivial matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭kala85

Any idea when this will be back in Ireland

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

kala85 wrote: »
    Any idea when this will be back in Ireland

No way to know, it doesn't operate any scheduled services, flights are charters based on the size and weight of the cargo to be carried, so trying to speculate on where and when it will be seen is about as possible as working out which area of the country will have rain or sunshine 6 months from now.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

How did people know the last time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

kala85 wrote: »
    How did people know the last time

It got posted on the Aviation in Ireland web site, and a reader of that site posted a link into this forum, the nature of the aircraft means that movements tend to be know about a few days ahead of the flight, as special preparations are needed at the airports involved, due to the size of the thing, and the size of the cargo can mean a lot of advance planning for the logisitics of getting the cargo in and out of the airfields involved.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

It got posted on the Aviation in Ireland web site, and a reader of that site posted a link into this forum, the nature of the aircraft means that movements tend to be know about a few days ahead of the flight, as special preparations are needed at the airports involved, due to the size of the thing, and the size of the cargo can mean a lot of advance planning for the logisitics of getting the cargo in and out of the airfields involved.

Any indications when this will be back in Ireland again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No way to know, it doesn't operate any scheduled services, flights are charters based on the size and weight of the cargo to be carried, so trying to speculate on where and when it will be seen is about as possible as working out which area of the country will have rain or sunshine 6 months from now.

All of it.

Advertisement