If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Amp

Options
  • 10-06-2020 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi I'm looking for a AV amp around £300 £400. Any suggestions. I have an old amp Yamaha RXV 557 which I use all digital inputs from TV, Sky Q and Blu Ray Player. Presumably all these devices will then feed directly in to new AMP via HDMI. If I am running the TV with Sky can I just use TV speakers at times with the AV on standby. Do I have to readjust the cabling? I dont need to use the surround system for normal day to day tv. Will probably only use it for films music concerts. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi I'm looking for a AV amp around £300 £400. Any suggestions. I have an old amp Yamaha RXV 557 which I use all digital inputs from TV, Sky Q and Blu Ray Player. Presumably all these devices will then feed directly in to new AMP via HDMI. If I am running the TV with Sky can I just use TV speakers at times with the AV on standby. Do I have to readjust the cabling? I dont need to use the surround system for normal day to day tv. Will probably only use it for films music concerts. 
    Hi StevieMurdo,

As a direct replacement I would recommend the Yamaha RXV685 at 499 euro:

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203526-yamaha-rxv685-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

Aside from giving great sound it also has 4K passthrough, Musiccast and Dolby Atomos. If you wanted to utilise your TV speakers for SkyQ I would recommend connecting the SkyQ box to the TV via the HDMI and then switching between ARC and AVR on the TV when you want to change the speaker set up!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 18 StevieMurdo

David

Thanks for that. So SKY Q HDMI to TV HDMI input for day to day. (This is what I have at the moment). A/V Amp in standby. This will be for my wife for day time TV etc. 

Then separate HDMI cable using ARC output / input  from TV to A/ V Amp with separate HDMI lead. With this do I need to change cables or just change output signal on TV to HDMI ARC? In this scenario does the TV act as a bypass for the A/V signal from the SKY Q to the AV Amp? Presumably there is no loss of quality in this set up.  

Just a thought. The A/V HDMI out where does this go?  

Just a thought. The A/V HDMI out where does this go?  
    Hi StevieMurdo,

The AV HDMI would go from the main output on the AV receiver would go to the ARC input on the TV. You don't need to change the cables this way and just need to switch between TV and AVR and can leave the amp on standby.

ARC will handle Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM but if your Sky Q box outputs Dolby Atmos it won't carry that soundtrack through ARC!

Kind regards

David

David

Thanks for getting back

Alternatively could you have all HDMI cables from SKY Q and Blu Ray Blu Ray to AV 'In' on AV. Then a cable from AV 'Out', which I notice is also ARC to ARC connection on telly. If AV on standby use TV speakers via ARC, and when turned on surround speakers. Would this work with AV as pass through when on standby? 

Would your earlier suggestion or the above carry surround sound from Apps like Prime video from the TV?

I notice there is also a RXV 585 model which is slightly cheaper. Besides a few extra outputs and Dolby Atmos, which I do not need, I'm using my existing [font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif]Yamaha NX-E130 speakers, is there any major differences?[/font]

What is the best price for either and do you deliver to ROI (Dublin).

• Advertisement

Do you have this one..

Denon AVR-X2600H, had some good reviews..

Do you have this one..

Denon AVR-X2600H, had some good reviews..
    Hi StevieMurdo,

I'm completely sold out of the AVRX2600 at the moment unfortunately! We are due more, hopefully in mid July but I've no firm ETA for them at the moment!

Kind regards

David

David

Thanks for getting back

Alternatively could you have all HDMI cables from SKY Q and Blu Ray Blu Ray to AV 'In' on AV. Then a cable from AV 'Out', which I notice is also ARC to ARC connection on telly. If AV on standby use TV speakers via ARC, and when turned on surround speakers. Would this work with AV as pass through when on standby? 

Would your earlier suggestion or the above carry surround sound from Apps like Prime video from the TV?

I notice there is also a RXV 585 model which is slightly cheaper. Besides a few extra outputs and Dolby Atmos, which I do not need, I'm using my existing Yamaha NX-E130 speakers, is there any major differences?

David

Thanks for getting back

I notice there is also a RXV 585 model which is slightly cheaper. Besides a few extra outputs and Dolby Atmos, which I do not need, I'm using my existing Yamaha NX-E130 speakers, is there any major differences?

Hi StevieMurdo,

So sorry for getting back to you, don;t know how I missed your post!

The Yamaha RXV585 is a fantastic amplifier as well and would give you a similar sound to the RXV685 as well as most of the features, it's just s little less powerful. The best iw ould have on it would be £399/429 euro:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203472-yamaha-rxv585-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx?swapstore=1

You can certainly do this through this amp using HDMI Standby Through but you would need to configure it in the amplifiers settings!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.